Run Over By Deputy

Recently I was returning from a quick trip to the corner grocery store and was hit by an undercover deputy in an unmarked car. To be fair, both of us made mistakes, and the lack of a bike lane on this road was a major factor.

I was returning from the store at a time when there was a bit of traffic on the road, so I used the sidewalk (which only runs on one side of the road, the wrong side for the direction I was traveling.). As I approached a side street I noticed a car blocking the crosswalk, so I began to stop. I saw the driver checking the traffic, and he backed up. I assumed he saw me and was getting out of my way while he was waiting for the traffic to clear for him to pull out. I then continued , but he pulled out and my front wheel went between his tire and wheel-well. It destroyed my Raleigh mountain-sport bike and gave me a good dose of whiplash. The chief deputy for my county is a bicycle enthusiast and he took me to the local bike shop and bought me a new Raleigh hybrid c30. This is not as good a model, but it is new and the bike I had was used when I bought it, and it had seen a lot of miles since I got it.

I am 68 years old and had a stroke about 3 years ago. I returned to riding a bike after the stroke (I had not had a bike in about 8 years.) I also began writing full time, with my blog being one of my main concerns. My blog deals mainly with "green" topics (I was originally a physicist). I approach cycling as "alternative energy", but have always just enjoyed it.

Anyway, I want any input about this accident, or any such.

Sounds like a tragic occurrence with a good turnout, I don't know much about the specific model of bicycle that you were given as a replacement, but it sounds like the chief deputy handled the situation well. Your blog sounds interesting, perhaps you should provide a link to anyone interested?

First and foremost sorry about the unfortunate incident, glad that you were not seriously hurt. Such are the hazards that we bikers face on a daily basis,i guess it's something that we have to live with. The chief deputy did a good thing to replace your bike and i commend him for that. Nice to hear that you took up biking after 8 years and soon after suffering from a stroke. That goes to show how resilient you are and i take off my hat for you.

BrockJohn said:
Sounds like a tragic occurrence with a good turnout, I don't know much about the specific model of bicycle that you were given as a replacement, but it sounds like the chief deputy handled the situation well. Your blog sounds interesting, perhaps you should provide a link to anyone interested?
just google pendrake's passions, or go to http://tomsbackporch.blogspot.com . I will have a new post on bicycling sometime soon. I hope to include something about an online friend who was biking around the world with her husband until she was mauled by a dog.

Sorry to hear about this accident. Tragic things happen, but this seems like a learning experience for the both of you. But 68, a stroke survivor, and and avid cycler? Wow. Props to you! Keep on riding my friend, and don't let this stop you by any means.

OGRICHBOI said:
Sorry to hear about this accident. Tragic things happen, but this seems like a learning experience for the both of you. But 68, a stroke survivor, and and avid cycler? Wow. Props to you! Keep on riding my friend, and don't let this stop you by any means.
Prior to the period when I wasn't doing much cycling I had been living in Knoxville and had a bike which I frequently used. I had to return to Florida to care for my elderly mother. Why I didn't have a bicycle for several years I don't remember. I think that I had actually bought a bicycle before I had the stroke, but it certainly became more important after the stroke. After my mother died and I wore out my car, my bicycle became my only means or transportation.I think I bought my bicycle when my older son had to move in with my mother and me because he was an avid cyclist.

thomas pendrake said:
Recently I was returning from a quick trip to the corner grocery store and was hit by an undercover deputy in an unmarked car. To be fair, both of us made mistakes, and the lack of a bike lane on this road was a major factor.

I was returning from the store at a time when there was a bit of traffic on the road, so I used the sidewalk (which only runs on one side of the road, the wrong side for the direction I was traveling.). As I approached a side street I noticed a car blocking the crosswalk, so I began to stop. I saw the driver checking the traffic, and he backed up. I assumed he saw me and was getting out of my way while he was waiting for the traffic to clear for him to pull out. I then continued , but he pulled out and my front wheel went between his tire and wheel-well. It destroyed my Raleigh mountain-sport bike and gave me a good dose of whiplash. The chief deputy for my county is a bicycle enthusiast and he took me to the local bike shop and bought me a new Raleigh hybrid c30. This is not as good a model, but it is new and the bike I had was used when I bought it, and it had seen a lot of miles since I got it.

I am 68 years old and had a stroke about 3 years ago. I returned to riding a bike after the stroke (I had not had a bike in about 8 years.) I also began writing full time, with my blog being one of my main concerns. My blog deals mainly with "green" topics (I was originally a physicist). I approach cycling as "alternative energy", but have always just enjoyed it.

Anyway, I want any input about this accident, or any such.

Did this really happen?

ambal said:
Did this really happen?
Yes. I currently have a lawyer and need more medical work (diagnostic only, I fear). I have to take prescriptive pain-killers to cope with the whip-lash, and it has cut seriously into my ability to write because of the neck and back pain when I sit at the computer for a long time as well as the fact that I have more difficulty concentrating .

Sorry to hear about your pride and joy. At least the officer was nice enough to buy you a new one on the spot though! I would do the same, it just seems ethical to do!

It is really sad that such an incident occurred. I think that it was quite bad and it is great that you got a replacement bike. Not every company provides such he great service. You must be very lucky.

That's a tough break. Even though both of you contributed to the accident, you're obviously the one that has to deal with most of the consequences, and that's a shame. That was a nice gesture by the police chief, but that's probably not good enough to abate the pain and suffering from the after-effects of the accident.

gavinfree said:
That's a tough break. Even though both of you contributed to the accident, you're obviously the one that has to deal with most of the consequences, and that's a shame. That was a nice gesture by the police chief, but that's probably not good enough to abate the pain and suffering from the after-effects of the accident.
I have difficulty writing because my neck starts hurting after a few moments at the computer. I also have some depression (not serious enough to warrant medication, but it does make it hard to concentrate.). I write content for extra money, but It is hard to concentrate on some subject I don't really care about. It doesn't help that my younger son died after the accident. giving me something else to be depressed about.

I am so sorry! I guess it's been a rough patch, as of late? I hope e wry thing works out for you and you get better soon. Also, I commend you for sitting around and pouting after your stroke. Most people would have.

kana_marie said:
I am so sorry! I guess it's been a rough patch, as of late? I hope e wry thing works out for you and you get better soon. Also, I commend you for sitting around and pouting after your stroke. Most people would have.
Not everyone is able to do much after having a stroke. Exercise (when approved by your physician) is important in both recovery and prevention. I had surgery to open my left carotid artery, and I was not able to resume exercise immediately, except for walking laps around the hospital hallways. I also lift weights, and definitely had to take care in resuming that. Having been a serious weight-lifter when younger (Olympic style lifting) has given me a lot of reserves to draw on, and this has helped me greatly. Incidentally, Weightlifters (and others in the "Iron Game")usually prefer cycling to jogging. Running is harder on the feet (especially if you have arch problems, as I do since my Army tour).

As I am checking in on this forum I have my attention drawn back to this thread by the pain in my neck and back resulting from the whiplash caused by this accident. I just had to take a tramadol and a naproxen so I could try to write a little tonight. Be careful out there, folks. pay attention to your safety gear, including mirrors to see approaching traffic. And don't bike drunk (of course, I see a few drunks on bikes because they can't drive)

Hmmm. This reminds of something that happened back in my home town. Instead of filing charges against the officer they decided to buy you a new bike.

Back in my home town a cops dog got off its lease and ate one of my neighbors chickens. Instead of giving the cop a ticket they gave him another chicken as a replacement. Now if the dog belonged to a regular citizen, would the cops let the slide by as well? I doubt it.

joshposh said:
Hmmm. This reminds of something that happened back in my home town. Instead of filing charges against the officer they decided to buy you a new bike.

Back in my home town a cops dog got off its lease and ate one of my neighbors chickens. Instead of giving the cop a ticket they gave him another chicken as a replacement. Now if the dog belonged to a regular citizen, would the cops let the slide by as well? I doubt it.
At least there wasn't another police beating. That seems to be the latest thing in America. Beat the citizen to a pulp and deny any wrong doing.

Less than 2 months after this accident, my son was having a problem due to not being able to renew a prescription (cange in dr. at clinic, waiting for new dr. He ended up getting in a fight with some unwelcome company, eventually Police showed up and A lunatic cop ended up beating me (68 years old) because I was trying to get my son out to talk to the police. We are expecting a settlement, and hope two of the cops loose their job. We have given all kinds of equipment to small towns. We now have thousands of small towns with SWAT teams they may need every 20 or 30 years. They won't wait to use their new toys. I don't want to say "zeig heil" to my local cops.

Due to changes in Florida's prescription laws (which were too lax for painkillers), it is now almost impossible to get a prescription for painkillers in Florida, leaving OTC painkillers such a NSAIDS (which can lead to ulcers) or acetaminophen (which can lead to liver damage). I will be stuck with acetaminophen or Naproxen, both of which can lead to eventual problems. Be careful out there!!!!

It sucks that your bike was destroyed but at least the deputy was a nice enough guy to accept his mistake and get you a replacement. Also, it sounds like you weren't hurt so that's great! I think things turned out really well, considering.

Also, you're 68 years old and riding a bike? I hope to be as active as you are at that age! Thanks for sharing your story!