run training on an elliptical trainer?

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by Topdog, May 3, 2003.

1. Topdog

Topdog Guest

I am an old, fat guy whose legs and knees don't respond too well to the pounding from all the
    running that I need to do for tri training. So, I was wondering - I have a Precor elliptical trainer
    (top-of-the-line in the ellipticals). Is it possible to use this in place of at least some road
    running in order to do some lower-impact workouts? Is there a way to make this more effective? Any
    ideas here? Thanks!

Tags:

2. Cliff

Cliff Guest

I use the elliptical trainer at my local club all the time to supplement "real" triathlon training.
    I'm a 45+ age-grouper and just as you said, I can no longer take daily running. My solution to aging
    joints/tendons has been to increase time on the bike and fill in run training with time on the
    elliptical trainer. I still run a couple of times a week. Trail runs are better than running on
    pavement. More time in the pool also helps, but personally I just don't find swim workouts very
    enjoyable.

One thing I've found that helps the elliptical trainer workouts (or spinning indoors) is using a CD
    player. Nothing like some U2 or Van Halen to help turn a routine workout into quality hammer time.

The elliptical trainer is not a substitute for running, but it burns calories, helps with
    overall cardio fitness and perhaps most importantly it helps avoid injury. It is a great tool
    for us groupers.

-- Cliff

[email protected] (topdog) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I am an old, fat guy whose legs and knees don't respond too well to the pounding from all the
    > running that I need to do for tri training. So, I was wondering - I have a Precor elliptical
    > trainer (top-of-the-line in the ellipticals). Is it possible to use this in place of at least some
    > road running in order to do some lower-impact workouts? Is there a way to make this more
    > effective? Any ideas here? Thanks!

3. Jim K.

Jim K. Guest

I use the elliptical trainier at my club all the time. I have found that if I spend the same time on
    the trainer that I would running when I have to run I have no trouble completing the event.

"topdog" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I am an old, fat guy whose legs and knees don't respond too well to the pounding from all the
    > running that I need to do for tri training. So, I was wondering - I have a Precor elliptical
    > trainer (top-of-the-line in the ellipticals). Is it possible to use this in place of at least some
    > road running in order to do some lower-impact workouts? Is there a way to make this more
    > effective? Any ideas here? Thanks!

-----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =----- http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1
    Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----