run training on an elliptical trainer?

Topdog

Guest
I am an old, fat guy whose legs and knees don't respond too well to the pounding from all the
running that I need to do for tri training. So, I was wondering - I have a Precor elliptical trainer
(top-of-the-line in the ellipticals). Is it possible to use this in place of at least some road
running in order to do some lower-impact workouts? Is there a way to make this more effective? Any
ideas here? Thanks!

I use the elliptical trainer at my local club all the time to supplement "real" triathlon training.
I'm a 45+ age-grouper and just as you said, I can no longer take daily running. My solution to aging
joints/tendons has been to increase time on the bike and fill in run training with time on the
elliptical trainer. I still run a couple of times a week. Trail runs are better than running on
pavement. More time in the pool also helps, but personally I just don't find swim workouts very
enjoyable.

One thing I've found that helps the elliptical trainer workouts (or spinning indoors) is using a CD
player. Nothing like some U2 or Van Halen to help turn a routine workout into quality hammer time.

The elliptical trainer is not a substitute for running, but it burns calories, helps with
overall cardio fitness and perhaps most importantly it helps avoid injury. It is a great tool
for us groupers.

-- Cliff

[email protected] (topdog) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I am an old, fat guy whose legs and knees don't respond too well to the pounding from all the
> running that I need to do for tri training. So, I was wondering - I have a Precor elliptical
> trainer (top-of-the-line in the ellipticals). Is it possible to use this in place of at least some
> road running in order to do some lower-impact workouts? Is there a way to make this more
> effective? Any ideas here? Thanks!

I use the elliptical trainier at my club all the time. I have found that if I spend the same time on
the trainer that I would running when I have to run I have no trouble completing the event.