Running AND Cycling AND Weightlifting: Mystery of the crossover and recovery time

AmpedCycle

Dec 29, 2004
I've been running, lately, and have been feeling really drained. I'll run about 3-4 miles with lots of uphills and sprints, and get completely blasted. Hunger, soreness, all the good stuff of a hard workout. But then, I'll go out and ride 70 miles the next day. Come the day after that, I'm sore all over. Is there a crossover in muscle recruitment/use in terms of these two different, yet similar activities? And if so, what muscles has anyone else had soreness in and does it just take time to adapt to the stresses of both?
You see, I only recently started running... and in addition to cycling 200-250 miles per week AND weight lifting, I'm a little concerned about this lingering tiredness that seems to follow me like the cartoonish raincloud over the head. You might have seen other posts of mine where I'm talking about sleeping 10-12 hours per night, etc etc. I wonder if there is a threshold to these types of activities one can sustain, or if you just adapt and keep adapting, like what happened when I first started distance cycling and weightlifting. Any triathletes out there?

Without being an expert, it sounds like that is a heck of a schedule...

250 miles of riding, running regularly, and weighlifting? :eek: Are you training for the Ironman?

What are you preparing for?

AmpedCycle said:
I wonder if there is a threshold to these types of activities one can sustain....
Everything I've read suggests that yes, there is a limit for each individual. Part of the discipline needed to be a successful athlete is to recognize and respect that limit in training, and ignore it in competition.

Powerful Pete said:
Without being an expert, it sounds like that is a heck of a schedule...

250 miles of riding, running regularly, and weighlifting? :eek: Are you training for the Ironman?

What are you preparing for?
Not preparing for anything but maybe some recreational race rides and a road race at the end of the summer. If I didn't lift weights, I'd be 150 pounds and be weak (I'm 6'2'' 170). Maybe I could do a duathlon eventually?