Running and pull-ups?

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by Burak Ilter, Jan 7, 2005.

  1. Burak Ilter

    Burak Ilter Guest

    Hi,
    I recently discovered a distance marked running course close to my
    house. There are also some bars to make pull-ups.

    I wonder if I can mix pull-ups and running in some form. When I go to
    the course for easier runs (certainly not when I do intervals) can I do
    pull-ups and would it be useful? Running uses mainly torso and legs, and
    pull-ups uses lats and shoulders. So I think they will not effect each
    other. Am I correct?
    --
    Burak
    please remove Dot NOREPLY Dot to reply

    Tags:

  2. thinnmann

    thinnmann Guest

    Burak,
    Your workouts should be goal oriented. What is the point of doing the
    pull-ups? They shouldn't affect each other, true, but doing them
    probably will not make you a better runner, swimmer, or cyclist....
    Are there any bike-run-pull-up tris out there that I haven't heard
    about?

  3. Burak Ilter

    Burak Ilter Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > Burak,
    > Your workouts should be goal oriented. What is the point of doing the
    > pull-ups? They shouldn't affect each other, true, but doing them
    > probably will not make you a better runner, swimmer, or cyclist....
    > Are there any bike-run-pull-up tris out there that I haven't heard
    > about?

    From what I read, I think that pull-ups are useful for swimming since
    lats are heavily used in swimming.

    Any comments?
    --
    Burak
    please remove Dot NOREPLY Dot to reply

  4. DaveB

    DaveB Guest

    Burak Ilter wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > [email protected] says...
    >
    >>Burak,
    >>Your workouts should be goal oriented. What is the point of doing the
    >>pull-ups? They shouldn't affect each other, true, but doing them
    >>probably will not make you a better runner, swimmer, or cyclist....
    >>Are there any bike-run-pull-up tris out there that I haven't heard
    >>about?
    >>

    > From what I read, I think that pull-ups are useful for swimming since
    > lats are heavily used in swimming.
    >
    > Any comments?

    Yes lats and triceps are heavily used in swimming, but we're talking
    endurance activities. How many strokes would you take for 1500m?
    Personally I would take around 1500 but I've got a fairly inefficient
    stroke. Now how many pull-ups can you do - 10, 20? It would be like
    training for a 10km run by doing 10 or 20 squats with a decent weight.
    Same muscles but totally different aim.

    DaveB

  5. Burak Ilter

    Burak Ilter Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > Yes lats and triceps are heavily used in swimming, but we're talking
    > endurance activities. How many strokes would you take for 1500m?
    > Personally I would take around 1500 but I've got a fairly inefficient
    > stroke. Now how many pull-ups can you do - 10, 20? It would be like
    > training for a 10km run by doing 10 or 20 squats with a decent weight.
    > Same muscles but totally different aim.
    >
    > DaveB

    Yes, of course I can do far few pull-ups than my 1500m stroke count. But
    isn't the concept same with other strength trainings? As far as you can
    do 20-30 times per set (or more), you are training the muscles for
    endurance work, right?. I certainly cannot do 20 pull-ups, but I have no
    other way to strength train the same muscle group (meaning I am not
    going to any gyms). Do you do any strength training? Do you have any
    suggestions?

    If anyone can offer an easier method that I can apply at home, I
    certainly will prefer that.
    --
    Burak
    please remove Dot NOREPLY Dot to reply

  6. thinnmann

    thinnmann Guest

    Ah Burak, now I can infer from your post that there is, in fact, a goal
    in doing the pull-ups; that was not evident previously.
    If your goal is strength training, the pull-ups will help, but they
    will detract from your running workout.
    As for muscles used in swimming, Dave B had a great points. And
    consider that pull-ups mostly use your bicep. Your bicep does not do
    much for your swimming stroke during front crawl. (Nor does it do much
    for any sport except a few like wrestling where you have to use
    powerful movements into your body, because most power movements in
    sports move away from the body.) In swimming, the most powerful part
    of the front crawl is the push "down" from the hip to full extension,
    clearly from triceps contraction. The bicep is operating from the
    catch at full arm extension "above" your head to about when your hand
    is even with the shoulder, and is doing relatively little work against
    the water at that point in time.