Running and Triathlon Website

[email protected] wrote:

> www.RunnersWeb.com, A running and triathlon resource portal based in Ottawa.
>
> News, results, event calendars, polls, trivia, 'widget' calculators and more...

Thanks for the yearly reminder. My first impression:

Left pane ok, alphabetical list of things. right pane: a bunch of terse yuck in a small font to
squeeze in more yuck. I find the page so irritating I will not use it.

Anyone else care to comment? Any web page designers out there?

"Doug Freese" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> [email protected] wrote:
>
> > www.RunnersWeb.com, A running and triathlon resource portal based in Ottawa.
> >
> > News, results, event calendars, polls, trivia, 'widget' calculators and more...

> Thanks for the yearly reminder. My first impression:
>
> Left pane ok, alphabetical list of things. right pane: a bunch of terse yuck in a small font to
> squeeze in more yuck. I find the page so irritating I will not use it.
>
> Anyone else care to comment? Any web page designers out there?

I love the color scheme, and I found the mouseover popups on the navigation bar to be very helpful.
If it weren't for those little text boxes, I might not have realized that the Cycling News & Links
link "...has cycling news and links to cycling sites." Whoda thunk it? The use of a nonstandard
color schemes for the scroll bars is my favorite touch, though. It's kind of like those places where
they paint the stop signs purple: it keeps you on your toes, you never know what to expect.

"Doug Freese" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> [email protected] wrote:
>
> > www.RunnersWeb.com, A running and triathlon resource portal based in Ottawa.
> >
> > News, results, event calendars, polls, trivia, 'widget' calculators and more...
>

> Thanks for the yearly reminder. My first impression:
>
> Left pane ok, alphabetical list of things. right pane: a bunch of terse yuck in a small font to
> squeeze in more yuck. I find the page so irritating I will not use it.
>
> Anyone else care to comment? Any web page designers out there?

Yes, now that someone has asked. ;)

This site's been around for a while, Ken obviously puts a lot of time into it, but I do not like
the layout. I dislike classic-style frames and the frame at the top with the ads when you click on
links is something I've always hated (I know you can click it off, but what's the point of it in
the first place?).

I have a website that also demands a lot of info to be put in a small space, so I sympathize... but
the Runners Web site is really, really cluttered looking.

I employ an iframe to break up content... not perfect, but cleaner. It's a common solution.

A Few More Things:

1. Too many little ads all over the front page. Flashing gifs spread out all over make for
distracting, headache-inducing reading.

2. I'd clean up the unneeded stuff. No one probably uses the "local weather" thing, I'd sure
everyone who checks their local weather on the net has a preferred, bookmarked link of their own.
Same with the "more search engines".

3. Way too many links... on the sidebar, and everywhere else.

4. The flat, mustard yellow colour is not very flattering.

DISCLAIMER: I actually like the site a lot, and have it bookmarked. I just don't like the layout.
Also, if anyone wants the critique my site, feel free. I know I'm not a web design whiz, but I am a
working webmaster, and I am cuurently taking web design classes, so I feel my opinion may have
*some* value, haha ;)

p.s. Doug - I disagree with your "small font" comment. His font is very regular sized. Time for new
glasses (or a bigger monitor)! ;)

cheers,
--
David (in Hamilton, ON) www.allfalldown.org

On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 22:41:47 GMT, Doug Freese <[email protected]>
wrote:

>[email protected] wrote:
>
>> www.RunnersWeb.com, A running and triathlon resource portal based in Ottawa.
>>
>> News, results, event calendars, polls, trivia, 'widget' calculators and more...
>

>Thanks for the yearly reminder. My first impression:
>
>Left pane ok, alphabetical list of things. right pane: a bunch of terse yuck in a small font to
>squeeze in more yuck. I find the page so irritating I will not use it.
>
>Anyone else care to comment? Any web page designers out there?

Not the most eye pleasing color scheme either, though with Opera I can hit the + key a few times
to increase the font sizes.

--
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all
its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft