Running down hill

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by rosie, Sep 23, 2004.

  1. rosie

    rosie Guest

    lease can you tell me of the technique to run down hill, because when do I
    slow down considerably and land on my heel, which I believe is wrong?

    I live in a very hilly place so need to get this sorted before I injure
    myself, again:-(

    Many thanks

    Tags:

  2. Phil M.

    Phil M. Guest

    "rosie" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > lease can you tell me of the technique to run down hill, because when
    > do I slow down considerably and land on my heel, which I believe is
    > wrong?
    >
    > I live in a very hilly place so need to get this sorted before I
    > injure myself, again:-(

    There was some discussion on this a few months ago. Go here
    http://tinyurl.com/4jbll

    Phil M.

    --
    "Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make
    them all yourself." ­Martin Vanbee

  3. JR

    JR Guest

    "rosie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > lease can you tell me of the technique to run down hill, because when do I
    > slow down considerably and land on my heel, which I believe is wrong?

    I have read (and tried with some success) to actually lean forward, just be
    careful not to fall over. You go faster, and end up not pounding your
    heels.

  4. If you jog backwards, your body will be fooled into thinking it's going
    uphill.

  5. Dot

    Dot Guest

    JR wrote:

    > "rosie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>lease can you tell me of the technique to run down hill, because when do I
    >>slow down considerably and land on my heel, which I believe is wrong?

    > I have read (and tried with some success) to actually lean forward, just be
    > careful not to fall over. You go faster, and end up not pounding your
    > heels.

    Be sure to lean forward from the ankle, not the hips. Steeper hills will
    require
    more forward lean to keep from sliding down. I tend to land mid-foot or a
    little toward the forefoot to maintain control. Yea, I went through the
    painful
    experience of heel landing on my first couple trail-grade hills :( and
    quickly learned how to run less painfully.

    Dot

    --
    "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste
    away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog