running drink

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Igloo, Feb 6, 2004.

  1. Igloo

    Igloo Guest

    Hi all, I have just increased my distance for the half marathon 2 fold and ran 11 miles last
    weekend. All was fine until the last mile when I became exhausted. WE carried no drink with us and I
    think this was a bad thing. What do people normally carry? Just water or some energy drink? Many
    thanks Sam

    Tags:

  2. Buddy Guy

    Buddy Guy Guest

    when I run I sweat very heavilly so if it is a long or hard run I need to bring some type of sport
    drink as i loose my electrolites and cramp or loose performance quickly. Cytomax, gatorade,
    excelerade, etc. etc.

    "igloo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi all, I have just increased my distance for the half marathon 2 fold and ran 11 miles last
    > weekend. All was fine until the last mile when I became exhausted. WE carried no drink with us and
    > I think this was a bad thing. What do people normally carry? Just water or some energy drink? Many
    > thanks Sam

  3. Dot

    Dot Guest

    igloo wrote:
    > Hi all, I have just increased my distance for the half marathon 2 fold and ran 11 miles last
    > weekend. All was fine until the last mile when I became exhausted. WE carried no drink with us and
    > I think this was a bad thing. What do people normally carry? Just water or some energy drink? Many
    > thanks Sam

    Cytomax, Ultra, or Clip 2 - depending on type of run and duration of 1 hr or more. I'll use water
    only on something in the vicinity of 1 hr. For me, always at least carbs + electrolytes, sometimes
    some other goodies in the drinks. So far, I've generally used wheat thins for additional salt if
    needed, mostly because that's what I had on hand and will experiment farther.

    The fluid thing goes for both cold and hot weather. The general thinking is that dehydration
    contributes to hypothermia and frostbite. You lose moisture through respiration in cold. (cold
    meaning about +10F and colder although I suspect humidity might have something to do with it)

    I've got some accelerade to test, but haven't yet. Use SlimFast or Endurox for recovery. Gatorade
    doesn't seem to have enough in it to make it worthwhile, and I get tired of taste.

    Dot

  4. Hardwarelust

    Hardwarelust Guest

    "igloo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi all, I have just increased my distance for the half marathon 2 fold and ran 11 miles last
    > weekend. All was fine until the last mile when I became exhausted. WE carried no drink with us and
    > I think this was a bad thing. What do people normally carry? Just water or some energy drink? Many
    > thanks Sam

    Pre run, I drink plain water. During and after, I used to use PowerAde, mainly because I like the
    taste better than Gatorade. I find I get tired of drinking plain water all the time.

    Now, I only use Ultima (http://http://www.ultimareplenisher.com ), mainly because it's the only sugar-
    free, all complex carb electrolyte drink I could find. It tastes pretty good, too. It's a little
    expensive, but I like the fact that it has no refined sugar so it's worth it.

    In a pinch, I'll run in a 7-11 and buy some Gatorade, but only because it's usually all they have.

  5. Amh

    Amh Guest

    [email protected] (igloo) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi all, I have just increased my distance for the half marathon 2 fold and ran 11 miles last
    > weekend. All was fine until the last mile when I became exhausted. WE carried no drink with us and
    > I think this was a bad thing. What do people normally carry? Just water or some energy drink? Many
    > thanks Sam

    You should expect some exhaustion after your longest run. If you weren't exhausted (or at least
    tired) after your longest run you should be wondering why you aren't running longer.

    For a well trained and well fed runner upwards of 90 minutes of running shouldn't really require
    refueling. When I'm training for a marathon I will take along a powerbar when my long runs start
    getting longer than 2+ hours. If you are finding 11 miles too long to run without refueling then
    take a look at your training. How many times did you run 8 or longer before your 11? If your answer
    is anything less than 4 you don't have enough endurance and should take a step or two back.

    Having said that try what is easiest for you to carry. I find that drinks give me stomach cramps,
    gels don't last very long and I don't like that they give me a sugar rush that I crash from hard.
    Powerbars have worked for me. I cut them up into small pieces and pin them in a baggie inside my
    shorts. I live in NYC and water isn't an issue. Before I come to a water fountain I chew (and chew
    and chew and chew....) on a few powerbar pieces and gulp down some water.

    Sportdrinks and energy gels are great but are no substitute for training.

    my $0.02 Andy

  6. Geoduck

    Geoduck Guest

    Koolaid:

    1/2 cup cane sugar (sucrose)
    2/2 cup corn sugar (dextrose) 1 cup maltodextrin 1 package unsweetened koolaid

    makes 3 liters

    I would carry 1 liter koolaid plus 1 liter water for a two hour run.

  7. igloo wrote:

    > Hi all, I have just increased my distance for the half marathon 2 fold and ran 11 miles last
    > weekend. All was fine until the last mile when I became exhausted. WE carried no drink with us and
    > I think this was a bad thing. What do people normally carry? Just water or some energy drink? Many
    > thanks Sam

    I carry nothing. One response i just read recommended carrying 2 liters of fluid. That's about 4.5
    pounds, sloshing all around!

    I do any long runs mostly in a park. Advantages: it has water fountains! I drive to get there. If I
    run more than 10 miles, I need water to keep going. If I run more than 15, I need food. The water is
    along the way at water fountains. I eat a banana or plain bagel for simple carbs. Sorry I'm not more
    sophisticated than that. Gel's give me a terrible stomach ache, which is not what I need during a
    competitive long run. A NYC bagel saved my life, or at least my endurance, enjoyment, and finish, at
    mile 15 of the NYC Marathon. If I need to eat, I can carry the snack with me in a fanny pack, or
    else just leave it in my car which I have to pass once or twice since the longest there-and-back run
    in Onondaga Lake Park is about 7-11 miles, depending on which trails one uses.

    -- Josh in Syracuse

  8. Doug Freese

    Doug Freese Guest

    Josh Steinberg wrote:

    > else just leave it in my car which I have to pass once or twice since the longest there-and-back
    > run in Onondaga Lake Park is about 7-11 miles, depending on which trails one uses.

    I do a series of 5 and 13 mile loops on my long runs. Since it's usually cold I don't want to hang
    out to chew on a bagle nor carry it and try to eat while running so I pop a vanilla Slimfast maybe a
    slug of sport drink(cytomax, Clip) and off I go in, maby be a minute.

    Did 18 yesterday in my screw shoes and they worked great on rough secondary roads with ice and snow.

  9. Phil M.

    Phil M. Guest

    Josh Steinberg <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > A NYC bagel saved my life, or at least my endurance, enjoyment, and finish, at mile 15 of the NYC
    > Marathon.

    Do they have those in other cities? What are the ingredients? I'd like to make some to bring on my
    long runs. ;-)

    -Phil

  10. Dot

    Dot Guest

    Josh Steinberg wrote:

    > I do any long runs mostly in a park. Advantages: it has water fountains!

    Do water fountains work year round in Syracuse?? I thought it got cold there? or are they
    heated somehow?

    > Gel's give me a terrible stomach ache,

    I bought 2 gels to try once. I tried one. The other is still around somewhere ;) (yucky taste, too
    much sugar at once, have to drink water to dilute it PLUS wash taste out of mouth) Besides they just
    seem like a real pain, unless using them like a popsicle, in subzero F temps. Even if a person
    carries them in a warm pocket or their hand, they still have to deal with opening the package,
    probably with bare fingers at -20F. And I'm not sure how one deals with gel flasks in subzero temps.
    Much easier to use sports drink + real food or energy bar.

    Dot

  11. Phil M.

    Phil M. Guest

    Dot <[email protected]#att.net> wrote in news:p[email protected]
    news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

    > I bought 2 gels to try once. I tried one. The other is still around somewhere ;)

    I found a couple of power gels in my running stash that are at least 3 years old. Do they ever go
    bad. If they are bad to begin with, then what are they like now. I shudder to think.

    -Phil

  12. Drink your wn urine. This way you'll never dehydrate because you're replacing it ounce for ounce.

    [email protected] (igloo) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi all, I have just increased my distance for the half marathon 2 fold and ran 11 miles last
    > weekend. All was fine until the last mile when I became exhausted. WE carried no drink with us and
    > I think this was a bad thing. What do people normally carry? Just water or some energy drink? Many
    > thanks Sam

  13. Sam

    Sam Guest

    An energy drink (Gatorade, Powerade, etc) that provides carbohydrate in the 6 to 8% solution range.
    Electrolytes aren't a bad idea either (sodium being the key one).

    "igloo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi all, I have just increased my distance for the half marathon 2 fold and ran 11 miles last
    > weekend. All was fine until the last mile when I became exhausted. WE carried no drink with us and
    > I think this was a bad thing. What do people normally carry? Just water or some energy drink? Many
    > thanks Sam

  14. Dot

    Dot Guest

    Phil M. wrote:
    > Dot <[email protected]#att.net> wrote in news:p[email protected] news.ops.worldnet.att.net:
    >

    >>I bought 2 gels to try once. I tried one. The other is still around somewhere ;)
    >

    > I found a couple of power gels in my running stash that are at least 3 years old. Do they ever go
    > bad. If they are bad to begin with, then what are they like now. I shudder to think.
    >
    > -Phil

    oh, darn. you had to remind me ;) I have a power gel from the goodie bag from my first race. So I
    have *2* gels laying around. I think I bought a gu (still using gatorade at the time so I was
    clueless as to options other than grocery store or nearby climbing store). The power gel at least
    looks like it has more useful stuff in it.

    I had always assumed that sealed things like energy bars, etc, don't go bad ... until somebody
    brought up the subject on the ultra list. yes, they do have dates on them, but nobody's sure what
    they really mean. Last week I ate a bar I found at bottom of my pack that said something about
    supporting 2000 Olympics, and I'm still here to tell about it :) It can't be older than 3, more
    likely 2, years old though, since I didn't start structured running until 3/2001 and probably didn't
    buy any running food-type stuff until that fall.

    Dot

  15. Phil M.

    Phil M. Guest

    Dot <[email protected]#att.net> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Phil M. wrote:
    >> Dot <[email protected]#att.net> wrote in news:p[email protected] news.ops.worldnet.att.net:
    >>

    >>>I bought 2 gels to try once. I tried one. The other is still around somewhere ;)
    >>

    >> I found a couple of power gels in my running stash that are at least 3 years old. Do they ever go
    >> bad. If they are bad to begin with, then what are they like now. I shudder to think.
    >>
    >> -Phil
    >
    > oh, darn. you had to remind me ;) I have a power gel from the goodie bag from my first race. So I
    > have *2* gels laying around. I think I bought a gu (still using gatorade at the time so I was
    > clueless as to options other than grocery store or nearby climbing store). The power gel at least
    > looks like it has more useful stuff in it.
    >
    > I had always assumed that sealed things like energy bars, etc, don't go bad ... until somebody
    > brought up the subject on the ultra list. yes, they do have dates on them, but nobody's sure what
    > they really mean. Last week I ate a bar I found at bottom of my pack that said something about
    > supporting 2000 Olympics, and I'm still here to tell about it :) It can't be older than 3, more
    > likely 2, years old though, since I didn't start structured running until 3/2001 and probably
    > didn't buy any running food-type stuff until that fall.
    >
    > Dot

    I was able to decipher the code on one of the gels. It said "BEST BY 10 DEC 99." Cool! So I can save
    these and eat them anytime before Decomeber 10, 2099.

    -Phil

  16. Dot

    Dot Guest

    Phil M. wrote:

    > I was able to decipher the code on one of the gels. It said "BEST BY 10 DEC 99." Cool! So I can
    > save these and eat them anytime before Decomeber 10, 2099.
    >
    > -Phil

    ROTFLMAO :) Sounds good to me!

    Dot

  17. MJuric

    MJuric Guest

    On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 03:34:00 GMT, "Phil M." <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Dot <[email protected]#att.net> wrote in news:[email protected]:
    >
    >> Phil M. wrote:

    >>> I found a couple of power gels in my running stash that are at least 3 years old. Do they ever
    >>> go bad. If they are bad to begin with, then what are they like now. I shudder to think.
    >>>
    >>> -Phil
    >>
    >> oh, darn. you had to remind me ;) I have a power gel from the goodie bag from my first race. So I
    >> have *2* gels laying around. I think I bought a gu (still using gatorade at the time so I was
    >> clueless as to options other than grocery store or nearby climbing store). The power gel at least
    >> looks like it has more useful stuff in it.
    >>
    >> I had always assumed that sealed things like energy bars, etc, don't go bad ... until somebody
    >> brought up the subject on the ultra list. yes, they do have dates on them, but nobody's sure what
    >> they really mean. Last week I ate a bar I found at bottom of my pack that said something about
    >> supporting 2000 Olympics, and I'm still here to tell about it :) It can't be older than 3, more
    >> likely 2, years old though, since I didn't start structured running until 3/2001 and probably
    >> didn't buy any running food-type stuff until that fall.
    >>
    >> Dot
    >>

    >I was able to decipher the code on one of the gels. It said "BEST BY 10 DEC 99." Cool! So I can
    >save these and eat them anytime before Decomeber 10, 2099.
    >
    > -Phil

    Speaking from experiance these thnigs do go bad, especially if constantly switched fom one
    temp to another. Had a couple in my bag I haul around for quite some time. Left in the car
    in the summer, winter etc. On one day I found myself in the middle of a rather long series
    of workouts and foodless. Finding the little packets in the bag I down a couple. It was a
    bit lumpier than normal and a bit like crystalized honey. None the less I believe it did the
    trick and I felt fine. The way I look at it... It's sealed... It's sugar... What's it going
    to do, turn to liquor?

    ~Matt

  18. Tim Downie

    Tim Downie Guest

    MJuric wrote:

    > The way I look at it... It's sealed... It's sugar... What's it going to do, turn to liquor?

    Well, I've just thrown out two High5 gels that had "blown" their packs. I presume the contents had
    fermented slightly due to inadequate sterilization. (Both in date btw.)

    Tim

    --
    Remove the obvious to reply by email. Please support rheumatoid arthritis research! Visit
    http://www.justgiving.com/pfp/speyside or http://www,justgiving.com/speyside if you're a UK

  19. Wholovesya?

    Wholovesya? Guest

    [email protected] (Asswiper Toilet Paper) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    WHO WAS IT, THREATENED THE PRESIDENT?

    WHO ADVOCATED AID TO TERRORISTS?

    YEP, our own BILL DAVIDSON, just one day after the 9-11 attack, while the victims were
    still burning.
    "we should bomb that pathetic excuse for a man too, or at least give his location to every terrorist
    group we can find, and let them take him out. Just what we need in the white house, a coked-up
    dopehead running the country".

    From: MrRobotTow ([email protected]) Subject: Re: The Only Thing Newsgroups:
    rec.music.makers.bagpipe Date: 2001-09-12 03:00:32 PST

    http://groups.google.com/groups?q=pathetic+pea-brain+mrrobottow&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-
    8&selm=20010912055959.21715.00001917%40mb-fi.aol.com&rnum=3

    YO! Homeland Security dudes: KEY PHRASES! BOMB "WHITE HOUSE" "TERRORIST GROUP"

    THERE'S YER ANTISOCIAL NUT CASE, RIGHT THERE! COULD BE another John Hinckley. Check him out!

    This US citizen publicly called for AID to TERRORISTS: IS HIS NAME ON YOUR LIST? Check him out!

    To long-suffering RMMB and REC.RUNNING contributors: YES, Bill Davidson, the source of thousands of
    lowlife postings under dozens of account names, is also "TheBillRodgers" and his clones. DO COPY
    this message; use it to REPLY anytime you have an urge to respond to our troll.

    Will Bill's own words amuse him as much as they amuse us? WILL THEY AMUSE OTHERS? Let's find out.
    Let's be sure BILL gets the attention he deserves and craves.

    COPY, PASTE, REPLY to our TROLL. IT'S THAT EASY

  20. Don Kirkman

    Don Kirkman Guest

    It seems to me I heard somewhere that Phil M. wrote in article
    <[email protected]>:

    >Dot <[email protected]#att.net> wrote in news:p[email protected] news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

    >> I bought 2 gels to try once. I tried one. The other is still around somewhere ;)

    >I found a couple of power gels in my running stash that are at least 3 years old. Do they ever go
    >bad. If they are bad to begin with, then what are they like now. I shudder to think.

    I dunno. That extra year may have pushed 'em over the edge - mine were only about two years old. No,
    wait, mine say they're best if used before 6/00. I've used a few since I discovered them a couple
    months ago, and I can still type and read. :)
    --
    Don [email protected]