running drink

Dot wrote:

> Josh Steinberg wrote:
>
> > I do any long runs mostly in a park. Advantages: it has water fountains!
>
> Do water fountains work year round in Syracuse?? I thought it got cold there? or are they heated
> somehow?

Well, yes, there are no outdoor water fountains in the park during the winter. There is unlimited
snow to munch on, but I haven't resorted to that. First, if I want water during winter, I keep a
water bottle in my car, which I have to pass every 7 miles or so if I run really long. Second, it's
winter, so I don't run really long. Winter for me is for maintaining fitness and just getting by,
not for sprinting (on ice), hillwork (ice), and long long runs (frigid weather, did I mention the
ice?). I was talking about the warmer 7 months of the year when I do longer runs and there is liquid
water to be had! -- Josh

Dot wrote:
> Besides they just seem like a real pain, unless using them like a popsicle, in subzero F temps.

I stand corrected regarding gels in freezing temperatures. Stumbled across this in another ng.

> With that in mind, I tossed 3 different energy gels (lemon-flavored Enervit, vanilla-bean Gu, strawberry-
> banana Power Gel) into the freezer overnight. The differences were remarkable. The Enervit gel
> came out as it went in, fluid. The Gu was definitely a little thicker, like a sludge. The Power
> Gel was solid, literally.

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=bmay+freezer+group:rec.skiing.nordic&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-
8&group=rec.skiing.nordic&selm=slrnb577b0.3t4.bmay%40bmay.d.umn.edu&rnum=1

I think I also saw a comment about Hammer gels being the most fluid, which might be expected since
they come in bottles, not packets.

I never did test the freezing temperatures of different sports drinks that I was going to do a
couple years ago. Now I wish I had. I'm thinking that things with longer chains are going to be
slower to freeze.

Dot

Josh Steinberg wrote:
> Dot wrote:
>

> Well, yes, there are no outdoor water fountains in the park during the winter.

ah, ok. I just wasn't sure if there was some northern engineering adaptation that I hadn't heard of.

Thanks.

Dot