running drink

Igloo

Guest
Hi all, I have just increased my distance for the half marathon 2 fold and ran 11 miles last
weekend. All was fine until the last mile when I became exhausted. WE carried no drink with us and I
think this was a bad thing. What do people normally carry? Just water or some energy drink? Many
thanks Sam

when I run I sweat very heavilly so if it is a long or hard run I need to bring some type of sport
drink as i loose my electrolites and cramp or loose performance quickly. Cytomax, gatorade,
excelerade, etc. etc.

news:[email protected]...

igloo wrote:
> Hi all, I have just increased my distance for the half marathon 2 fold and ran 11 miles last
> weekend. All was fine until the last mile when I became exhausted. WE carried no drink with us and
> I think this was a bad thing. What do people normally carry? Just water or some energy drink? Many
> thanks Sam

Cytomax, Ultra, or Clip 2 - depending on type of run and duration of 1 hr or more. I'll use water
only on something in the vicinity of 1 hr. For me, always at least carbs + electrolytes, sometimes
some other goodies in the drinks. So far, I've generally used wheat thins for additional salt if
needed, mostly because that's what I had on hand and will experiment farther.

The fluid thing goes for both cold and hot weather. The general thinking is that dehydration
contributes to hypothermia and frostbite. You lose moisture through respiration in cold. (cold
meaning about +10F and colder although I suspect humidity might have something to do with it)

I've got some accelerade to test, but haven't yet. Use SlimFast or Endurox for recovery. Gatorade
doesn't seem to have enough in it to make it worthwhile, and I get tired of taste.

Dot

"igloo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi all, I have just increased my distance for the half marathon 2 fold and ran 11 miles last
> weekend. All was fine until the last mile when I became exhausted. WE carried no drink with us and
> I think this was a bad thing. What do people normally carry? Just water or some energy drink? Many
> thanks Sam

Pre run, I drink plain water. During and after, I used to use PowerAde, mainly because I like the
taste better than Gatorade. I find I get tired of drinking plain water all the time.

Now, I only use Ultima (http://http://www.ultimareplenisher.com ), mainly because it's the only sugar-
free, all complex carb electrolyte drink I could find. It tastes pretty good, too. It's a little
expensive, but I like the fact that it has no refined sugar so it's worth it.

In a pinch, I'll run in a 7-11 and buy some Gatorade, but only because it's usually all they have.

[email protected] (igloo) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Hi all, I have just increased my distance for the half marathon 2 fold and ran 11 miles last
> weekend. All was fine until the last mile when I became exhausted. WE carried no drink with us and
> I think this was a bad thing. What do people normally carry? Just water or some energy drink? Many
> thanks Sam

You should expect some exhaustion after your longest run. If you weren't exhausted (or at least
tired) after your longest run you should be wondering why you aren't running longer.

For a well trained and well fed runner upwards of 90 minutes of running shouldn't really require
refueling. When I'm training for a marathon I will take along a powerbar when my long runs start
getting longer than 2+ hours. If you are finding 11 miles too long to run without refueling then
take a look at your training. How many times did you run 8 or longer before your 11? If your answer
is anything less than 4 you don't have enough endurance and should take a step or two back.

Having said that try what is easiest for you to carry. I find that drinks give me stomach cramps,
gels don't last very long and I don't like that they give me a sugar rush that I crash from hard.
Powerbars have worked for me. I cut them up into small pieces and pin them in a baggie inside my
shorts. I live in NYC and water isn't an issue. Before I come to a water fountain I chew (and chew
and chew and chew....) on a few powerbar pieces and gulp down some water.

Sportdrinks and energy gels are great but are no substitute for training.

my $0.02 Andy

Koolaid:

1/2 cup cane sugar (sucrose)
2/2 cup corn sugar (dextrose) 1 cup maltodextrin 1 package unsweetened koolaid

makes 3 liters

I would carry 1 liter koolaid plus 1 liter water for a two hour run.

igloo wrote:

> Hi all, I have just increased my distance for the half marathon 2 fold and ran 11 miles last
> weekend. All was fine until the last mile when I became exhausted. WE carried no drink with us and
> I think this was a bad thing. What do people normally carry? Just water or some energy drink? Many
> thanks Sam

I carry nothing. One response i just read recommended carrying 2 liters of fluid. That's about 4.5
pounds, sloshing all around!

I do any long runs mostly in a park. Advantages: it has water fountains! I drive to get there. If I
run more than 10 miles, I need water to keep going. If I run more than 15, I need food. The water is
along the way at water fountains. I eat a banana or plain bagel for simple carbs. Sorry I'm not more
sophisticated than that. Gel's give me a terrible stomach ache, which is not what I need during a
competitive long run. A NYC bagel saved my life, or at least my endurance, enjoyment, and finish, at
mile 15 of the NYC Marathon. If I need to eat, I can carry the snack with me in a ***** pack, or
else just leave it in my car which I have to pass once or twice since the longest there-and-back run
in Onondaga Lake Park is about 7-11 miles, depending on which trails one uses.

-- Josh in Syracuse

Josh Steinberg wrote:

> else just leave it in my car which I have to pass once or twice since the longest there-and-back
> run in Onondaga Lake Park is about 7-11 miles, depending on which trails one uses.

I do a series of 5 and 13 mile loops on my long runs. Since it's usually cold I don't want to hang
out to chew on a bagle nor carry it and try to eat while running so I pop a vanilla Slimfast maybe a
slug of sport drink(cytomax, Clip) and off I go in, maby be a minute.

Did 18 yesterday in my screw shoes and they worked great on rough secondary roads with ice and snow.

Josh Steinberg <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> A NYC bagel saved my life, or at least my endurance, enjoyment, and finish, at mile 15 of the NYC
> Marathon.

Do they have those in other cities? What are the ingredients? I'd like to make some to bring on my
long runs. ;-)

-Phil

Josh Steinberg wrote:

> I do any long runs mostly in a park. Advantages: it has water fountains!

Do water fountains work year round in Syracuse?? I thought it got cold there? or are they
heated somehow?

> Gel's give me a terrible stomach ache,

I bought 2 gels to try once. I tried one. The other is still around somewhere ;) (yucky taste, too
much sugar at once, have to drink water to dilute it PLUS wash taste out of mouth) Besides they just
seem like a real pain, unless using them like a popsicle, in subzero F temps. Even if a person
carries them in a warm pocket or their hand, they still have to deal with opening the package,
probably with bare fingers at -20F. And I'm not sure how one deals with gel flasks in subzero temps.
Much easier to use sports drink + real food or energy bar.

Dot

Dot <dot.h@#att.net> wrote in news:pduVb.1314$fV5.37577@bgtnsc04-
news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

> I bought 2 gels to try once. I tried one. The other is still around somewhere ;)

I found a couple of power gels in my running stash that are at least 3 years old. Do they ever go
bad. If they are bad to begin with, then what are they like now. I shudder to think.

-Phil

Drink your wn urine. This way you'll never dehydrate because you're replacing it ounce for ounce.

[email protected] (igloo) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Hi all, I have just increased my distance for the half marathon 2 fold and ran 11 miles last
> weekend. All was fine until the last mile when I became exhausted. WE carried no drink with us and
> I think this was a bad thing. What do people normally carry? Just water or some energy drink? Many
> thanks Sam

An energy drink (Gatorade, Powerade, etc) that provides carbohydrate in the 6 to 8% solution range.
Electrolytes aren't a bad idea either (sodium being the key one).

Phil M. wrote:
> Dot <dot.h@#att.net> wrote in news:pduVb.1314$fV5.37577@bgtnsc04- news.ops.worldnet.att.net:
>

>>I bought 2 gels to try once. I tried one. The other is still around somewhere ;)
>

> I found a couple of power gels in my running stash that are at least 3 years old. Do they ever go
> bad. If they are bad to begin with, then what are they like now. I shudder to think.
>
> -Phil

oh, darn. you had to remind me ;) I have a power gel from the goodie bag from my first race. So I
have *2* gels laying around. I think I bought a gu (still using gatorade at the time so I was
clueless as to options other than grocery store or nearby climbing store). The power gel at least
looks like it has more useful stuff in it.

I had always assumed that sealed things like energy bars, etc, don't go bad ... until somebody
brought up the subject on the ultra list. yes, they do have dates on them, but nobody's sure what
they really mean. Last week I ate a bar I found at bottom of my pack that said something about
supporting 2000 Olympics, and I'm still here to tell about it :) It can't be older than 3, more
likely 2, years old though, since I didn't start structured running until 3/2001 and probably didn't
buy any running food-type stuff until that fall.

Dot

Dot <dot.h@#att.net> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Phil M. wrote:
>> Dot <dot.h@#att.net> wrote in news:pduVb.1314$fV5.37577@bgtnsc04- news.ops.worldnet.att.net:
>>

>>>I bought 2 gels to try once. I tried one. The other is still around somewhere ;)
>>

>> I found a couple of power gels in my running stash that are at least 3 years old. Do they ever go
>> bad. If they are bad to begin with, then what are they like now. I shudder to think.
>>
>> -Phil
>
> oh, darn. you had to remind me ;) I have a power gel from the goodie bag from my first race. So I
> have *2* gels laying around. I think I bought a gu (still using gatorade at the time so I was
> clueless as to options other than grocery store or nearby climbing store). The power gel at least
> looks like it has more useful stuff in it.
>
> I had always assumed that sealed things like energy bars, etc, don't go bad ... until somebody
> brought up the subject on the ultra list. yes, they do have dates on them, but nobody's sure what
> they really mean. Last week I ate a bar I found at bottom of my pack that said something about
> supporting 2000 Olympics, and I'm still here to tell about it :) It can't be older than 3, more
> likely 2, years old though, since I didn't start structured running until 3/2001 and probably
> didn't buy any running food-type stuff until that fall.
>
> Dot

I was able to decipher the code on one of the gels. It said "BEST BY 10 DEC 99." Cool! So I can save
these and eat them anytime before Decomeber 10, 2099.

-Phil

Phil M. wrote:

> I was able to decipher the code on one of the gels. It said "BEST BY 10 DEC 99." Cool! So I can
> save these and eat them anytime before Decomeber 10, 2099.
>
> -Phil

ROTFLMAO :) Sounds good to me!

Dot

On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 03:34:00 GMT, "Phil M." <[email protected]> wrote:

>Dot <dot.h@#att.net> wrote in news:[email protected]:
>
>> Phil M. wrote:

>>> I found a couple of power gels in my running stash that are at least 3 years old. Do they ever
>>> go bad. If they are bad to begin with, then what are they like now. I shudder to think.
>>>
>>> -Phil
>>
>> oh, darn. you had to remind me ;) I have a power gel from the goodie bag from my first race. So I
>> have *2* gels laying around. I think I bought a gu (still using gatorade at the time so I was
>> clueless as to options other than grocery store or nearby climbing store). The power gel at least
>> looks like it has more useful stuff in it.
>>
>> I had always assumed that sealed things like energy bars, etc, don't go bad ... until somebody
>> brought up the subject on the ultra list. yes, they do have dates on them, but nobody's sure what
>> they really mean. Last week I ate a bar I found at bottom of my pack that said something about
>> supporting 2000 Olympics, and I'm still here to tell about it :) It can't be older than 3, more
>> likely 2, years old though, since I didn't start structured running until 3/2001 and probably
>> didn't buy any running food-type stuff until that fall.
>>
>> Dot
>>

>I was able to decipher the code on one of the gels. It said "BEST BY 10 DEC 99." Cool! So I can
>save these and eat them anytime before Decomeber 10, 2099.
>
> -Phil

Speaking from experiance these thnigs do go bad, especially if constantly switched fom one
temp to another. Had a couple in my bag I haul around for quite some time. Left in the car
in the summer, winter etc. On one day I found myself in the middle of a rather long series
of workouts and foodless. Finding the little packets in the bag I down a couple. It was a
bit lumpier than normal and a bit like crystalized honey. None the less I believe it did the
trick and I felt fine. The way I look at it... It's sealed... It's sugar... What's it going
to do, turn to liquor?

~Matt

MJuric wrote:

> The way I look at it... It's sealed... It's sugar... What's it going to do, turn to liquor?

Well, I've just thrown out two High5 gels that had "blown" their packs. I presume the contents had
fermented slightly due to inadequate sterilization. (Both in date btw.)

Tim

--
Remove the obvious to reply by email. Please support rheumatoid arthritis research! Visit
http://www.justgiving.com/pfp/speyside or http://www,justgiving.com/speyside if you're a UK

[email protected] (Asswiper Toilet Paper) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

WHO WAS IT, THREATENED THE PRESIDENT?

WHO ADVOCATED AID TO TERRORISTS?

YEP, our own BILL DAVIDSON, just one day after the 9-11 attack, while the victims were
still burning.
"we should bomb that pathetic excuse for a man too, or at least give his location to every terrorist
group we can find, and let them take him out. Just what we need in the white house, a coked-up
dopehead running the country".

From: MrRobotTow ([email protected]) Subject: Re: The Only Thing Newsgroups:
rec.music.makers.bagpipe Date: 2001-09-12 03:00:32 PST

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=pathetic+pea-brain+mrrobottow&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-
8&selm=20010912055959.21715.00001917%40mb-fi.aol.com&rnum=3

YO! Homeland Security dudes: KEY PHRASES! BOMB "WHITE HOUSE" "TERRORIST GROUP"

THERE'S YER ANTISOCIAL NUT CASE, RIGHT THERE! COULD BE another John Hinckley. Check him out!

This US citizen publicly called for AID to TERRORISTS: IS HIS NAME ON YOUR LIST? Check him out!

To long-suffering RMMB and REC.RUNNING contributors: YES, Bill Davidson, the source of thousands of
lowlife postings under dozens of account names, is also "TheBillRodgers" and his clones. DO COPY
this message; use it to REPLY anytime you have an urge to respond to our troll.

Will Bill's own words amuse him as much as they amuse us? WILL THEY AMUSE OTHERS? Let's find out.
Let's be sure BILL gets the attention he deserves and craves.

COPY, PASTE, REPLY to our TROLL. IT'S THAT EASY

It seems to me I heard somewhere that Phil M. wrote in article
<[email protected]>:

>Dot <dot.h@#att.net> wrote in news:pduVb.1314$fV5.37577@bgtnsc04- news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

>> I bought 2 gels to try once. I tried one. The other is still around somewhere ;)

>I found a couple of power gels in my running stash that are at least 3 years old. Do they ever go
>bad. If they are bad to begin with, then what are they like now. I shudder to think.

I dunno. That extra year may have pushed 'em over the edge - mine were only about two years old. No,
wait, mine say they're best if used before 6/00. I've used a few since I discovered them a couple
months ago, and I can still type and read. :)
--
Don [email protected]