Running in Cincinnati

J

Joe

Anyone have any maps or online resources about running in Cincinnati. I will be spending about
2months there this coming summer and need some info.

Any info about local clubs would be appreciated too.

Joe

If you go out on the streets in Cinncinnati, you'll be running for your life.

Steve McDonald

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 00:38:53 GMT, "Joe" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Anyone have any maps or online resources about running in Cincinnati. I will be spending about
>2months there this coming summer and need some info.
>
>Any info about local clubs would be appreciated too.

Cincinnati is one of the places that Runners World wrote about. If this link doesn't work, just go
to their site and click "On the Road". http://www.runnersworld.com/home/0,1300,1-51-57-651,00.html

I don't know anything about it firsthand, but I thought I'd at least pass on the link.

"Joe" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Anyone have any maps or online resources about running in Cincinnati. I will be spending about
> 2months there this coming summer and need some
info.
>
> Any info about local clubs would be appreciated too.
>
>
> Joe

Joe,

Go to the local running authority: Bob Roncker's Running Spot. They have a Cincinnati Running page -
http://www.runningspot.com/CintiRunning/. Check out the local links as well as the Weekly
Running/Walking Groups. When in town, you can pick up route maps from the Running Spot. The Little
Miami Bike Trail is one of the more scenic and popular running paths.

If you get into town around May 2, you can tour the city via the Flying Pig marathon -
http://www.flyingpigmarathon.com/.

Mike

you know you could substitute any large cities name that sentence and it would work.

jOe

"Steve McDonald" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
> If you go out on the streets in Cinncinnati, you'll be running for your life.
>
> Steve McDonald

2 months in Cincinnati? You poor *******. I only know of one fun thing to do in Cincinnati. Packing
your bag, and travelling to a better town.

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 21:52:41 -0400, "David Drake" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I'm a runner from Cincinnati...what questions do you have?
>
>
Why do you live there?

I was born here. :( Not so bad during the summer but hate the fall and winter. Anyone up for
relocating me to say...San Diego or Atlanta?

"Rogiepoo" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 21:52:41 -0400, "David Drake" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >I'm a runner from Cincinnati...what questions do you have?
> >
> >
> Why do you live there?

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 23:22:06 -0400, "David Drake" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I was born here. :( Not so bad during the summer but hate the fall and winter. Anyone up for
>relocating me to say...San Diego or Atlanta?
>

Well I was concerned for your well-being and mental condition, but since you WANT to leave I guess
you're ok.

I'll be there this summer from June to August and I'm looking for some good routes and places to
run. What are places to avoid due to traffic or road conditions? I'll be training for a marathon
then so I'll need some longer loops or courses to do.

Right now I live in Milwaukee so I can't imagine running there is too different?

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Joe

"David Drake" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm a runner from Cincinnati...what questions do you have?
>
>
> "Steve McDonald" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > If you go out on the streets in Cinncinnati, you'll be running for your life.
> >
> > Steve McDonald
>

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 13:02:38 GMT, "Joe" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I'll be there this summer from June to August and I'm looking for some good routes and places to
>run. What are places to avoid ?

Cincinnati is the best thing to avoid. I once spent a month there one weekend.

"Joe" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I'll be there this summer from June to August and I'm looking for some
good
> routes and places to run. What are places to avoid due to traffic or road conditions? I'll be
> training for a marathon then so I'll need some longer loops or courses to do.
>
> Right now I live in Milwaukee so I can't imagine running there is too different?
>
> Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks, Joe

Joe,

A premature welcome to Cincinnati!

Try some of the local running groups. I have run with the Saturday Morning Running Group (SMRG) in
the past. Most of them are marathoners and will run 10-15 miles starting at 7am. See the SMRG link
here http://www.runningspot.com/CintiRunning/RunningGroups.htm.

As for courses for long runs, your best bet is to stay off of the roads and stick to the paved
running/biking trails. Sharon Woods, Winton Woods, Miami Whitewater Forest all have paved loops. My
preference is Miami Whitewater. It has a 7.8 mile outer loop (Shaker Trace) and a 1.3 mile inner
loop path through forest, fields and marsh (not much shade). A horse trail parallels the main trail
so on an early morning run you are likely to be passing wild turkey, ducks, horses and deer. There
is a portable toilet about half-way around and you'll have to carry your own water although they
just installed a drinking fountain at the nature overlook, about 2 miles from the parking area. The
two drawbacks are that it is 15 minutes west of downtown just off of I-74 and there is a $1 entry
fee for this county park ($3 for an annual pass which covers Winton Woods, Sharon Woods and several
other parks).

Another favorite is the Little Miami Bike Trail. This is a flat 72 mile path that occupies an
abandoned rail line and follows the Little Miami River. It is primarily a Southwest to Northeast
route so shade is good for most of the day. It starts/ends about 15 minutes east of downtown, in
Milford. This Sunday I'll be competing in Morgan's Little Miami Triathlon which uses part of the
bike trail for the 10k run.

A little closer to town is the 5.5 mile path at Lunken Airport/Playfield. Just a few minutes east of
downtown, it loops around a small municipal airport, ball fields, and a golf course. Not very well
shaded. Water and restroom facilities are available at the golf shop and airport terminal.

Downtown, there is a riverwalk and pedestrian bridge that takes you over the Ohio River into
Kentucky. Not sure of the length of this route though.

Go to Bob Roncker's Running Spot http://www.runningspot.com/ when you get into town. They would have
the most concentrated amount of local running routes/maps.

A premature welcome to Cincinnati!

Mike