Running in cross trainers

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Simpledog, Dec 14, 2003.

  1. Simpledog

    Simpledog Guest

    I run about 20 miles a week. No variation, same route every day, 4 miles, 5 or 6 days a week.
    Problem is I am prone to sprained ankles (I run in the desert). Are there decent 3/4 top cross
    trainers that are ok to run in for the distances I'm running?

    TIA

    Tags:

  2. The Messiah

    The Messiah Guest

    "simpledog" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I run about 20 miles a week. No variation, same route every day, 4 miles, 5 or 6 days a week.
    > Problem is I am prone to sprained ankles (I run in the desert). Are there decent 3/4 top cross
    > trainers that are ok to run in for the distances I'm running?
    >
    > TIA

    Why? You should NOT be wearing cross trainers to run in.

  3. Lyndon

    Lyndon Guest

    >I run about 20 miles a week. No variation, same route every day, 4 miles, 5 or 6 days a week.
    >Problem is I am prone to sprained ankles (I run in the desert). Are there decent 3/4 top cross
    >trainers that are ok to run in for the distances I'm running?
    >
    >TIA

    Crosstrainers are ok if you're doing stuff like aerobics and you run in them *occasionally*, but
    they are not designed for every day or every week running: They have the lateral support for sports,
    but don't have the pronation support that frequent running requires. Also, running mileage (as
    opposed to, say, basketball) in a higher top shoe that rubs against the achilles tendon can be a
    cause of AT.

    Lyndon "Speed Kills...It kills those that don't have it!" --US Olympic Track Coach Brooks Johnson

  4. Ed prochak

    Ed prochak Guest

    "simpledog" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I run about 20 miles a week. No variation, same route every day, 4 miles, 5 or 6 days a week.
    > Problem is I am prone to sprained ankles (I run in the desert). Are there decent 3/4 top cross
    > trainers that are ok to run in for the distances I'm running?
    >
    > TIA

    You should be looking at trail running shoes.

    Doug, Dot, one of you off-roaders 8^) have any suggestion for brands and models?

  5. Dot

    Dot Guest

    simpledog wrote:
    > I run about 20 miles a week. No variation, same route every day, 4 miles, 5 or 6 days a week.
    > Problem is I am prone to sprained ankles (I run in the desert). Are there decent 3/4 top cross
    > trainers that are ok to run in for the distances I'm running?
    >
    > TIA

    Have you tried ankle/foot strengthening exercises? How about taping? I'd go with either of these
    before trying a higher top shoe. [OTOH, I've had achilles problems in the past to the extent where I
    couldn't tie my hiking boots because they hit a really sensitive spot, so I feel pain even thinking
    about it now.]

    I agree with Lyndon in terms of higher topped shoes and achilles. If you get something that comes up
    higher, you'd need to be extremely careful about how it hits the achilles area. Many have notches
    there; others dig in.

    I run mostly trails (or snow covered roads when the snow on trails is deep), but the height of my
    trail shoe is the same as any road shoe. If pointy-side up rocks are part of the issue, you might
    want to consider a shoe with a protection plate in the forefoot - but only if it's the right type of
    shoe for your biomechanics.

    I think some strengthening exercises may help, but taping is probably better than high top, IMHO. A
    higher top will promote further weakness, I would think. Doug can describe taping better, but
    basically, wrap anchor strip around ankle, run more strips from one side of ankle to other going
    under the foot, anchor on the other side, run another strip around ankle to hold individual strips
    in place. I've been surprised at how well it works. Still lets ankles function but restricts
    excessive lateral motion.

    Just my $.02.

    Dot

  6. Doug Freese

    Doug Freese Guest

    Ed prochak wrote:

    > Doug, Dot, one of you off-roaders 8^) have any suggestion for brands and models?

    The trails I run I can run quite nicely with Asics 2080's. I don't own a pair of "trail" shoes.

    It's the same with trail as road shoes, you line up your needs with the terrain and your
    biomechanics. To be honest, if I was to run a trail with very ugly footing such as sharp rocks
    and/or slippery roots I would have to do a lot of homework. I did run a race in Sept. where I ran
    for 10 of 11+ hours in sucking mud. I don't think there was any shoe short of track spikes that
    would have helped.

  7. jobin

    jobin Guest

    Doug Freese <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Ed prochak wrote:

    >> Doug, Dot, one of you off-roaders 8^) have any suggestion for brands and models?

    > The trails I run I can run quite nicely with Asics 2080's. I don't own a pair of "trail" shoes.

    i heard they're coming out with 2090's.

    personally, i haven't done much trail running but i do have a pair of new balance 805's. they've
    been pretty good so far. i even used them on a backpacking trip in the summer. covered 45 miles in
    them, carrying 20-30 lbs on the back over 5 days. no blisters, no pains, no problems at all...

    jobs

  8. Rick++

    Rick++ Guest

    You get simpler results by hitting your legs with a sledgehammer, but faster. Run only in running
    shoes if you wish to run for many years.

  9. Topcounsel

    Topcounsel Guest

    >You get simpler results by hitting your legs with a sledgehammer, but faster. Run only in running
    >shoes if you wish to run for many years.

    I wouldn't run in cross-trainers either. The repetitive motion and relentless pounding of running is
    frankly too extreme. Have you considered wearing those ankle supports they sell, together with good
    running shoes?

  10. >Have you tried ankle/foot strengthening exercises? How about taping? I'd go with either of these
    >before trying a higher top shoe. [OTOH, I've had achilles problems in the past ...

    I'm new here and feeling stupid ... what's "OTOH"?

    -clueless newbie

  11. Doug Freese

    Doug Freese Guest

    clueless newbie wrote:

    > I'm new here and feeling stupid ... what's "OTOH"?

    On The Other Hand. IMO or IMHO - In My (humble) Opinion. Ther are lots others.

  12. Dot

    Dot Guest

    clueless newbie wrote:

    > I'm new here and feeling stupid ... what's "OTOH"?

    Don't worry, we all went through this stage at some time :) OTOH = "on the other hand" as Doug
    already mentioned

    A few common ones http://www.happy-online.co.uk/tutorial/abbreviations.htm

    a list of acronyms and smilies in one place http://www.muller-godschalk.com/emoticon.html

    and more complete lists http://penpals.englishclub.com/abbreviations.htm http://www.abvsta.com/computer-
    internet/

    and some emoticons http://www.runnersworld.com/forum/emoticons.html
    http://www.computeruser.com/resources/dictionary/emoticons.html http://www.netlingo.com/smiley.cfm

    Enjoy!

    Dot yep, working up the learning curve and still need to look up stuff on other ng (newsgroups)

  13. Ed Prochak

    Ed Prochak Guest

    clueless newbie <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > >Have you tried ankle/foot strengthening exercises? How about taping? I'd go with either of these
    > >before trying a higher top shoe. [OTOH, I've had achilles problems in the past ...
    >
    > I'm new here and feeling stupid ... what's "OTOH"?
    >
    > -clueless newbie

    On The Other Hand

    Ed (There are no stupid questions)

  14. Doug Freese

    Doug Freese Guest

  15. Drlith

    Drlith Guest

    "Doug Freese" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > A few common ones http://www.happy-online.co.uk/tutorial/abbreviations.htm
    >
    > I took a quick look and found a few that I had not seen. OTOH, just had to do it, I had always
    > thought ROFL was an extended LOL. Instaed of Laugh Out Loud it was Roar Out F**king Loud. Live
    > and learn.

    D*mn Brits, can't get anything straight!

    ROFL = Rolling On Floor, Laughing. (Also occasionally written as ROTFL, with the "the")

    Otherwise, how are you going to make sense of ROFLPIMP? (Rolling on Floor Laughing, Peeing In
    My Pants).

  16. Dot

    Dot Guest

    DrLith wrote:
    > "Doug Freese" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>>A few common ones http://www.happy-online.co.uk/tutorial/abbreviations.htm
    >>
    >>I took a quick look and found a few that I had not seen. OTOH, just had to do it, I had always
    >>thought ROFL was an extended LOL. Instaed of Laugh Out Loud it was Roar Out F**king Loud. Live
    >>and learn.
    >

    > D*mn Brits, can't get anything straight!
    >
    > ROFL = Rolling On Floor, Laughing. (Also occasionally written as ROTFL, with the "the")

    Not sure where Doug's looking since that is what's on the 1st 2 links I posted. Maybe he's been
    playing in too much snow. However, I did notice that most of the acronym pages seemed to have .uk
    locations. Heck, and I thought we had the market cornered on acronyms ;) (Interagency or
    interdisciplinary meetings are sometimes very interesting until everybody starts speaking same
    vocabulary.) Either that, or the Brits are the ones that need the translations. <shrug> ;)

    Dot

    > Otherwise, how are you going to make sense of ROFLPIMP? (Rolling on Floor Laughing, Peeing In
    > My Pants).

  17. I can't see where cross trainers would be a problem for you. If the pink lacy panties and leather
    bra don't bother you, why should shoes?

  18. Doug Freese

    Doug Freese Guest

    Dot wrote:

    > Not sure where Doug's looking since that is what's on the 1st 2 links I posted. Maybe he's been
    > playing in too much snow.

    What snow? The 10 inches of snow was dissolved yesterday with an all day rain followed with cold
    night to freeze on the roads and create a two hour delay for the schools. My show shoe buds big shit
    eatin' grins turned to frowns today. Somehow I think they will get the last laugh.

    > However, I did notice that most of the acronym pages seemed to have .uk locations. Heck, and I
    > thought we had the market cornered on acronyms ;) (Interagency or interdisciplinary meetings are
    > sometimes very interesting until everybody starts speaking same vocabulary.) Either that, or the
    > Brits are the ones that need the translations. <shrug> ;)

    History says the US of A was established for religious freedom. Not true - we were looking for
    language freedom without acronyms.

  19. Dot

    Dot Guest

    Doug Freese wrote:
    > Dot wrote:
    >

    >> Not sure where Doug's looking since that is what's on the 1st 2 links I posted. Maybe he's been
    >> playing in too much snow.
    >

    > What snow? The 10 inches of snow was dissolved yesterday with an all day rain followed with cold
    > night to freeze on the roads and create a two hour delay for the schools. My show shoe buds big
    > shit eatin' grins turned to frowns today.

    You all (both you and your snowshoe buds) have my sympathies. We warmed up and had the "r" word in
    forecasts, but it never materialized - yet. Getting rain after snow is just plain miserable. I can
    only remember one winter where we didn't get rain. We did get about an inch fresh stuff yesterday to
    make last night's run really nice (although on roads - more efficient logistically right now for
    time, but have 2 wks of not having to go to office where I can do whatever and not have to drag a
    bunch of gear to lab.)

    Somehow I think they will get the last laugh.

    >> However, I did notice that most of the acronym pages seemed to have .uk locations. Heck, and I
    >> thought we had the market cornered on acronyms ;) (Interagency or interdisciplinary meetings are
    >> sometimes very interesting until everybody starts speaking same vocabulary.) Either that, or the
    >> Brits are the ones that need the translations. <shrug> ;)
    >

    > History says the US of A was established for religious freedom. Not true
    > - we were looking for language freedom without acronyms.

    :)

    Dot