Running in Sydney

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Xenman, Mar 8, 2004.

  1. Xenman

    Xenman Guest

    Hooray. I get to go to Australia for almost 3 weeks. We're
    going to be in Sydney for the first 8 days. I'll need a
    place to run from my hotel. I'll need to do at least one
    long run 10+ miles and probably several shorter ones. Our
    hotel is in the Potts Point neighborhood, east of the city
    center on Macleay Street. Suggestions will be welcome.

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>,
    xenman <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Hooray. I get to go to Australia for almost 3 weeks. We're
    >going to be in Sydney for the first 8 days. I'll need a
    >place to run from my hotel. I'll need to do at least one
    >long run 10+ miles and probably several shorter ones. Our
    >hotel is in the Potts Point neighborhood, east of the city
    >center on Macleay Street. Suggestions will be welcome.

    The Sydney Striders have a long list of Sydney runs at
    http://www.sydneystriders.org.au/starguide.shtml

    If you scroll down to the "Tourist Trot" you'll find maps
    and instructions for 10, 15 and 30km runs which go past
    your hotel.

    You *have* do the part (Map B) that goes from Woolloomooloo
    around the Botanic Gardens, Opera House, Circular Quay then
    over the Harbour Bridge over to North Sydney. Centennial
    Park is lovely running too.

    You could also follow the "Vaucluse Variation" route to
    "North Head" and back.

    If you want a serious training run check out the 30km Ten
    Bridges Classic some great views although the hills leave
    you a little tired to appreciate them.

    If you want local company, e-mail me and I might be able to
    join you for a run. Andrew Taylor

  3. Xenman

    Xenman Guest

    On Tue, 9 Mar 2004 20:23:26 +1100 (EST), [email protected] (Andrew
    Taylor) wrote:

    >In article <[email protected]>,
    >xenman <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>Hooray. I get to go to Australia for almost 3 weeks. We're
    >>going to be in Sydney for the first 8 days. I'll need a
    >>place to run from my hotel. I'll need to do at least one
    >>long run 10+ miles and probably several shorter ones. Our
    >>hotel is in the Potts Point neighborhood, east of the city
    >>center on Macleay Street. Suggestions will be welcome.
    >
    >The Sydney Striders have a long list of Sydney runs at
    >http://www.sydneystriders.org.au/starguide.shtml
    >
    >If you scroll down to the "Tourist Trot" you'll find maps
    >and instructions for 10, 15 and 30km runs which go past
    >your hotel.
    >
    >You *have* do the part (Map B) that goes from Woolloomooloo
    >around the Botanic Gardens, Opera House, Circular Quay then
    >over the Harbour Bridge over to North Sydney. Centennial
    >Park is lovely running too.
    >
    >You could also follow the "Vaucluse Variation" route to
    >"North Head" and back.
    >
    >If you want a serious training run check out the 30km Ten
    >Bridges Classic some great views although the hills leave
    >you a little tired to appreciate them.
    >
    >If you want local company, e-mail me and I might be able to
    >join you for a run. Andrew Taylor

    I took a look at "tourist trot". It has too many street
    crossings to suit my taste. I was wondering if the park
    surrounding Botanic Gardens and the Opera House was large
    enough. Plus when I'm totally unfamiliar with an area, I
    prefer a route that's either out and back on one road, or
    one with clear boundaries like around a park or a lake (i.e.
    Diamond Head in Honolulu, Stanley Park in Vancouver, Hyde
    Park in London, Sabino Canyon in Tucson).

    Thanks for the info though. We're arriving on March 19th.

  4. I can't claim the local expertise that Andrew Taylor has,
    but if you go to runnersworld.com, click "On the Road" in
    the left-side navigation bar, then scroll down nearly all
    the way to Sydney in the alphabetical city list that follows
    the topics at the top, you should find some ideas.

    e.m.

    xenman wrote:

    > Hooray. I get to go to Australia for almost 3 weeks. We're
    > going to be in Sydney for the first 8 days. I'll need a
    > place to run from my hotel. I'll need to do at least one
    > long run 10+ miles and probably several shorter ones. Our
    > hotel is in the Potts Point neighborhood, east of the city
    > center on Macleay Street. Suggestions will be welcome.

  5. Brian Mason

    Brian Mason Guest

    xenman <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Tue, 9 Mar 2004 20:23:26 +1100 (EST),
    >[email protected] (Andrew Taylor) wrote:
    >
    >>In article <[email protected]>,
    >>xenman <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>>Hooray. I get to go to Australia for almost 3 weeks.
    >>>We're going to be in Sydney for the first 8 days. I'll
    >>>need a place to run from my hotel. I'll need to do at
    >>>least one long run 10+ miles and probably several shorter
    >>>ones. Our hotel is in the Potts Point neighborhood, east
    >>>of the city center on Macleay Street. Suggestions will be
    >>>welcome.
    >>
    >>The Sydney Striders have a long list of Sydney runs at
    >>http://www.sydneystriders.org.au/starguide.shtml
    >>
    >>If you scroll down to the "Tourist Trot" you'll find maps
    >>and instructions for 10, 15 and 30km runs which go past
    >>your hotel.
    >>
    >>You *have* do the part (Map B) that goes from
    >>Woolloomooloo around the Botanic Gardens, Opera House,
    >>Circular Quay then over the Harbour Bridge over to North
    >>Sydney. Centennial Park is lovely running too.
    >>
    >>You could also follow the "Vaucluse Variation" route to
    >>"North Head" and back.
    >>
    >>If you want a serious training run check out the 30km Ten
    >>Bridges Classic some great views although the hills leave
    >>you a little tired to appreciate them.
    >>
    >>If you want local company, e-mail me and I might be able
    >>to join you for a run. Andrew Taylor
    >
    >I took a look at "tourist trot". It has too many street
    >crossings to suit my taste. I was wondering if the park
    >surrounding Botanic Gardens and the Opera House was
    >large enough.

    Absolutely, it's long enough. Ran into the botanical gardens
    one morning last summer and got lost for an hour.

    There are lots of nice runs arond the Botanical Gardens,
    Domain, over the Harbour Bridge, etc., but I'd recommend
    doing them early before the traffic builds up.

    Brian

  6. In article <[email protected]>,
    xenman <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I took a look at "tourist trot". It has too many street
    >crossings to suit my taste. I was wondering if the park
    >surrounding Botanic Gardens and the Opera House was
    >large enough.

    Yep you could find a ~2km loop in the Botanic
    Gardens/Domain.

    You also do do out/back along the harbour shore from
    Woolloomooloo to (under) the harbour bridge without any
    road crossing.

    Cenntennial Park which is a few kms from your hotel has very
    popular running loop of ~3.5km.

    >Plus when I'm totally unfamiliar with an area, I prefer a
    >route that's either out and back

    I'll admit I regularly get lost on 30k runs but some of the
    scenary on longer Sydney runs is pretty good.

    Andrew