Running in winter

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Mariusz, Feb 1, 2005.

  1. Mariusz

    Mariusz Guest

    Hello,
    I'm new on this list...A few words abut me: I'm from Poland (Szczecin),
    running for about 4 years (but up to last month - mainly in summer). A month
    ago I've started proacticing but don't want to get flu or something similar.
    Could you give me aome advices (it's now quiet cold in Poland).
    Best wishes,
    PS. Sorry for mistakes, I need some time to write properly again...;-) Be
    patient.

    Tags:

  2. anders

    anders Guest

    Mariusz wrote:

    > I'm new on this list...

    This is a newsgroup, not a list - but who cares:)

    > A few words abut me: I'm from Poland (Szczecin),

    Say hello to Rozalia! (She must be about 35 now, her hair was dyed
    chestnut then...)

    > running for about 4 years (but up to last month - mainly in summer).
    > A month ago I've started practicing

    What prompted the change? Did you decide to run a marathon? In Gdansk,
    perhaps?

    > but don't want to get flu or something similar. Could you give me

    aome
    > advices (it's now quite cold in Poland).

    Well, it won´t be that cold for long - but it´s true the wind across
    the Baltic can be pretty nasty.

    The tips are quite simple, really: wear a cap and wash your hands:)
    But, OK, running will be more comfortable when you´re properly
    dressed:
    - a cap (knitted, polypropylene, windproof lining)
    - gloves or mittens (windproof but not isolated)
    - underwear (long, polypropylene or other "technical/functional"
    material)
    - windbriefs (short underpants with extraprotection for your
    dobrowski)
    - jacket (breathable, breathable, breathable and somewhat windproof)
    - pants (similar) or tights

    That´s it.

    If you have to run on roads that are slushly, you might like to have
    shoes which have some sort of waterproof coating - but it isn´t
    necessary:, you won´t get ill if your feet get wet, you must simply
    have enough pairs to rotate and to allow them to dry slowly in room
    temperature (with some newspaper stuffed in).

    If you have to run on slippery icy asphalt, it´s too bad because
    studded shoes are good only on thicker ice/snow and on gravel. Do
    something instead on those days:)

    Anders

  3. np426z

    np426z Guest

    "anders" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    <snipped running-in-winter-briefing>

    Damn. You left nothing for me to say. THAT'S how to deal with a troll...

    Roger.