running injury?

L

Lurisia

Hi,

I exercise almost every day at the gym (treadmill, elliptical maching, stairmaster) and only very
recently began to suffer from a minor injury. When I do a lunge strech (pictured here:
http://www.organiconline.com.sg/yoga/yogabendup.jpg) I get a gnawing pain when my right foot is
forward and left foot is back. The other way is fine. The pain is right in the middle of my hip, my
groin, and my right inner thigh, where the femur attaches. I've been doing this strech for 2 years
and only recently encountered the pain.

Does anyone know:

1. What could have caused this?

2. How I can make it go away?

Thanks for info, Lurisia

On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 08:31:47 GMT, lurisia <[email protected]> wrote:

>1. What could have caused this?

The 'lunge stretch'.

>2. How I can make it go away?

Stop attempting the 'lunge stretch'.

This isn't as facetious as it sounds. Clearly, this extreme stretch has cause some damage, the exact
nature of which cannot be diagnosed via the internet.

Yunno, just because some Yoga geeks can do this stretch until they're 127 years of age doesn't mean
that either you can, or should, attempt to do the same. We are all different; our bodies react to
physical stress in different ways and we would be well advised to develop a sound appreciation of
what we can, and cannot, achieve without undue difficulty in this regard.

Unless the ability to perform the 'lunge stretch' is central to your being, I suggest you grow up
and do something less silly instead.

lurisia wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I exercise almost every day at the gym (treadmill, elliptical maching, stairmaster) and only very
> recently began to suffer from a minor injury. When I do a lunge strech (pictured here:
> http://www.organiconline.com.sg/yoga/yogabendup.jpg) I get a gnawing pain when my right foot is
> forward and left foot is back. The other way is fine. The pain is right in the middle of my hip,
> my groin, and my right inner thigh, where the femur attaches. I've been doing this strech for 2
> years and only recently encountered the pain.
>
> Does anyone know:
>
> 1. What could have caused this?

hmmm, pulling swag out of thin air. Have you either changed the amount of stretch, duration, or
added something else to your training pgm so the total is more than what your body can bear? Have
you injured yourself in doing something else that manifests itself while stretching?

>
> 2. How I can make it go away?

dunno, but what *I* do (YMMV) if a stretch bothers me, is to back off it completely for a little bit
(or a lot) or reduce the amount of stretch for awhile until symptoms go away. Assuming something's
not torn, broken, or whatever, trying to maintain *some light* activity in that direction *may* help
reduce function loss while healing.

We, er the more flexible folks, do something like that in my xt class and frequently take it out
farther - almost to a split. I had noticed groin pain last year from a number of our stretches (no
where near a split for me). This year I got smart. I don't do them - or at least no where near what
the others are doing. I have other stretches for the same areas that my PT suggested. I do them when
I'm home. I don't have a lot of the problems I had last year.

If you're interested in running AND if you can do some other lunges pain-free, you might just do
regular lunges with/without weights for awhile - walking or stationary, forward, sideways, or
diagonally back (twist around). Close your eyes while doing this for proprioceptive training.
Changing the distance that you lunge will alter what part of ham is being worked. Sometimes we lunge
with the trailing knee at the heel of the leading foot, others times spread out more. These will all
provide a little bit of challenge in the groin without overstretching and help maintain function
until you can get back to your normal lunge stretch.

Just a thought.

Dot

--
"Success is different things to different people" -Bernd Heinrich in Racing the Antelope

The evidence is clear, stretching CAUSES injurys. Stop it, and your problems will go away.
Guaranteed.

"In another life, when we are both cats" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 08:31:47 GMT, lurisia <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >1. What could have caused this?
>
> The 'lunge stretch'.
>
> >2. How I can make it go away?
>
> Stop attempting the 'lunge stretch'.
>
>
> This isn't as facetious as it sounds. Clearly, this extreme stretch has cause some damage, the
> exact nature of which cannot be diagnosed via the internet.
>
> Yunno, just because some Yoga geeks can do this stretch until they're 127 years of age doesn't
> mean that either you can, or should, attempt to do the same. We are all different; our bodies
> react to physical stress in different ways and we would be well advised to develop a sound
> appreciation of what we can, and cannot, achieve without undue difficulty in this regard.
>
> Unless the ability to perform the 'lunge stretch' is central to your being, I suggest you grow up
> and do something less silly instead.