Running into things

Hoya1500

Jul 17, 2005
I'm not sure if it was the humidity or not, but as I was on my ride today, I must've ran into every single swarm of bugs possible. There were some HUGE ones that bounced off my helmet and sunglasses. I came home and shook all the bugs out of my jersey. It was insane.

So i'm wondering, since i'm relatively new to cycling, does this happen on a consistent basis for most riders? What other things do we, as cyclists, run into?

Hoya1500 said:
I'm not sure if it was the humidity or not, but as I was on ride today, I must've ran into every single swarm of bugs possible. There were some HUGE ones that bounced off my helmet and sunglasses. I came home and shook all the bugs out of my jersey. It was insane.

So i'm wondering, since i'm relatively new to cycling, does this happen on a consistent basis for most riders? What other things do we, as cyclists, run into?
So far, a car door, a curb, a ditch and a gulley...:eek:

Bugs depend on time of day and time of year. Little gnat are annoying - you wind up with them in your mouth, on your glasses, stuck to your arms...

Last week I ran into a big bug that gave me a bite so bad I stopped to see if it was a bee-sting!

Bugs tend to be the most regular things I ride into but I have had a stelar impact with a car :eek: resulting in a totalled bike and quite a few stiches in my chin...I had really good hang time hitting a curb and almost tore off my legs hitting another cyclist who for whatever reason decided to turn out in front of me... :cool:

So far.... car, tree, pedestrian, pavement (face first).

There's plenty of time to improve upon that list yet.

W.r.t the bugs. Is it possible to be a vegetarian cyclist? I think not. :D

One SUV, various pavement, and lots of overgrown roadside shrubery. I've swallowed plenty of bugs. They're a good protein boost. :) I do recall reading that there's no danger from inhaling them as long as you don't suck in too many. Last month I had a bee get sucked into one of the air vents in my helmet. It must have looked pretty comical as I swerved off to the side of the bike path and tore my helmet off.

Hoya1500 said:
haha, sweet. My friend ran into a telephone pole. He CLAIMS it was camoflagued. :D

I ran into a bus stop bench ... The ones in my area have cloaking devices built into them.

Pete

Over the past twenty or so years, between mountain biking, road riding and various drunken misadventures ... Parked, unoccupied car (was on the way home from buying a new mountain bike, and stone cold sober), some a$$hole's car door when he flung it open in front of me, trees, curbs, other cyclists, the ground(lots!), and a stop sign (I did!). Does running over various small mammals count? Several squirrels, a mouse, a ground squirrel, and a small yappy dog.

big Pete said:
I ran into a bus stop bench ... The ones in my area have cloaking devices built into them.

Pete
Ah, yes. The infamous Canadian Cloaker. Gotta watch out for those.

Special ed said:
Over the past twenty or so years, between mountain biking, road riding and various drunken misadventures ... Parked, unoccupied car (was on the way home from buying a new mountain bike, and stone cold sober), some a$$hole's car door when he flung it open in front of me, trees, curbs, other cyclists, the ground(lots!), and a stop sign (I did!). Does running over various small mammals count? Several squirrels, a mouse, a ground squirrel, and a small yappy dog.
Ed, you're not taking any notice of your own signature are you? :D

Special ed said:
HOLY ****!!! I THOUGHT I WAS BAD!!!:eek:
Couple of cars, couple of trees and tarmac munchin' on a fairly regular basis.

Bill.

I ran into a driveway rain drain and bent my front wheel.

I was riding a couple of days ago and slowed down, waiting for my son to catch up. Suddenly I feel a bump, I look over my shoulder, he had bumped into me and crashed. Good thing I stayed up, I have a 6K$ bike and I would have been pretty angry if his stupidity caused me to crash it. As it was, he got some road rash. Since he just hit my tire my bike was fine.

:eek:

I was stupid enough to ride without sunglasses once and got a bug in my eye, which I swear to God was trying to burrow into my brain. That was the most intense pain in my eye/face I have ever felt.

I have had a squirrel run into my tire. I'm quite sure he was waiting for me on the road to purposly run into me.

I've been pretty lucky in my short time as a rider.

Well you know how when you are driving a car and a bird hits the windshild. Well the other week on my ride a bird hit my chest the same way. Freaked me out. That was definatly a first for me and I have not ever heard of it happening to anyone else. any one out there had a bird hit them?

The worst thing I ever ran into was a bookstore.

I was going about 25mph down a hill when a car turned left, right in front of me. I dodged the car, and hit the curb. The bike stopped at the curb and I kept going. I encountered the bookstore across the sidewalk. Broke two ribs and one shoulder blade.

Ton of accidents for me, I am a hazard, but three of the better ones, looking over my shoulder I hit a car mirror with my knee, breaking the mirror completely off and launching me, first bouncing off the hood of the car then the pavement. I did go tell the owner who took sympathy at my bloody bruised pulp and said to forget about it, another time I was hauling across a park making great time when I encountered a metal wire fence (they were adding equipment or something) once I reached the maximum boyancy of said wire I was catapulted in somersault fashion off the bike, and finally when I was a kid riding my huffy pro-thunder doing zig zags I hit a rock at an awkward angle flipped over the handlebars, hit the pavement face first, had a concussion, left eye sealed shut from swelling and the bike somehow hit me in the back of the head bending the handlebars, after laying in the street for several minutes I managed to make it home before collapsing on the couch in front of my horrifed mother.

wheelist said:
Ed, you're not taking any notice of your own signature are you? :D
Read my "user names" post!:D I've never broken anything! I've gotten cuts, bruises, road/dirt/tree rash and a date from a coffee shop girl when she say my muddy ripped tights and bloody knee after a mountain bike ride!:p

ShannonMU said:
I was stupid enough to ride without sunglasses once and got a bug in my eye, which I swear to God was trying to burrow into my brain. That was the most intense pain in my eye/face I have ever felt.

I have had a squirrel run into my tire. I'm quite sure he was waiting for me on the road to purposly run into me.

I've been pretty lucky in my short time as a rider.
Geico will save you a bunch of moneh on car insurance ... but the furry rats will kill ya