running is more efficient than biking

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Al Kubeluis, Jan 28, 2003.

  1. Al Kubeluis

    Al Kubeluis Guest

    whoops, wrong group, well, anyway i just got back from a 4 mile run and got about the same workout
    as a 1.5 to 2 hour ride. and running shoes cost way less than bents. but benting is a lot more fun
    for me, except for, perhaps, trail running.
    --
    ~~~ Al Kubeluis ~ Bacchetta Corsa ~ Maryland ~ USA ~~~

    Tags:

  2. For years I ran 4 miles in about 30 minutes just about every day and nothing could beat that for
    concentrated cardio exercise.

    But I stopped running at about age 63 or 64 on the advice of a sports medicine physician who told me
    ALL runners eventually suffer damage to their musculo-skeletal systems. He was a dedicated runner
    himself and said that at age 50 he intended to switch from running to biking and swimming.

    I'll be 74 in February and I bike or swim just about every day and fortunately I still have very
    little arthritic pain or discomfort. (Also, I do take one Celebrex a day.) When I was still running
    I felt fine ... but .. my ankles and knees sometimes got a "little sore" from time to time . Nothing
    serious ... but ... I knew they were a little tender. Not now, though.

    Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush "Al Kubeluis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > whoops, wrong group, well, anyway i just got back from a 4 mile run and got about the same workout
    > as a 1.5 to 2 hour ride. and running shoes cost way less than
    bents.
    > but benting is a lot more fun for me, except for, perhaps, trail running.
    > --
    > ~~~ Al Kubeluis ~ Bacchetta Corsa ~ Maryland ~ USA ~~~

  3. Carol Cohen

    Carol Cohen Guest

    Eating is better for you than running:

    Take a look at a runner: red face, sweating, grimacing, legs & arms pumping away --

    And then look at a diner: happy expression, glowing face, shining eyes --

    So you can clearly see that eating is the way to go--

    C.C.,Rider

  4. On Tue, 28 Jan 2003 11:52:50 -0500, "Al Kubeluis" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > well, anyway i just got back from a 4 mile run and got about the same workout as a 1.5 to 2
    > hour ride.

    Then you're either not in running shape or you ride too leisurely. :) Ratio should be closer to 1:2
    in my book (i.e. 30 minute run = 1 hour bike).

    > and running shoes cost way less than bents.

    Dunno. $100 pair of shoes every 3 months adds up. Alas, I have both addictions so am really
    out of luck.

    -- Robert

  5. Carol Cohen wrote:

    >Eating is better for you than running:
    >
    >Take a look at a runner: red face, sweating, grimacing, legs & arms pumping away --
    >
    >And then look at a diner: happy expression, glowing face, shining eyes --
    >
    >So you can clearly see that eating is the way to go--

    LOL! And since nothing gives me more of an appetite than cycling for a few hours (can't run that
    long), I think I'll keep the bike... Actually. it never ceases to amaze me how much you can eat on a
    cycling holiday and still lose weight!

    Mark van Gorkom.

  6. Cyclepath

    Cyclepath Guest

    As others may reply, I too enjoy running and bicycles. I have been enjoying these wonderful sports
    for over half a century. The one thing that makes bicycling better, to me, is for the allotted time
    spent just look how much more of this beautiful world you can see and still get a workout.

    "Al Kubeluis" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > whoops, wrong group, well, anyway i just got back from a 4 mile run and got about the same workout
    > as a 1.5 to 2 hour ride. and running shoes cost way less than
    bents.
    > but benting is a lot more fun for me, except for, perhaps, trail running.
    > --
    > ~~~ Al Kubeluis ~ Bacchetta Corsa ~ Maryland ~ USA ~~~

  7. Rarely does Al ever ride "leisurely"...I've spent time on his rear wheel wishing he would.

    Jude

    "Robert Stevahn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Tue, 28 Jan 2003 11:52:50 -0500, "Al Kubeluis" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > well, anyway i just got back from a 4 mile run and got about the same workout as a 1.5 to 2
    > > hour ride.
    >
    > Then you're either not in running shape or you ride too leisurely. :) Ratio should be closer to
    > 1:2 in my book (i.e. 30 minute run = 1 hour bike).
    >
    > > and running shoes cost way less than bents.
    >
    > Dunno. $100 pair of shoes every 3 months adds up. Alas, I have both addictions so am really out
    > of luck.
    >
    > -- Robert

  8. A&B

    A&B Guest

    Yeah, it's hard to coast when you're running ;-) bill g

    Al Kubeluis wrote:

    > whoops, wrong group, well, anyway i just got back from a 4 mile run and got about the same workout
    > as a 1.5 to 2 hour ride. and running shoes cost way less than bents. but benting is a lot more fun
    > for me, except for, perhaps, trail running.
    > --
    > ~~~ Al Kubeluis ~ Bacchetta Corsa ~ Maryland ~ USA ~~~

  9. Rod Dabe

    Rod Dabe Guest

    Why run when you can walk? Why walk when you can stand? Why stand when you can sit? Why sit when you
    can lie down? Why lie down when you can lie down on your bike and ride?

    Rod

  10. Its all a matter of OPPORTUNITY, Al.

    If its too cold to cycle, like in the winter, you have an OPPORTUNITY to run because it gives you an
    OPPORTUNITY to keep fit for cycling.

    In the summer, when its too hot to run, you have an OPPORTUNITY to do something sensible like
    creating a breeze around you to keep cool, by cycling.

    Hope this helps. :)

    Lewis.

    http://home.earthlink.net/~limeylew/index.html

    "Al Kubeluis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > whoops, wrong group, well, anyway i just got back from a 4 mile run and got about the same workout
    > as a 1.5 to 2 hour ride. and running shoes cost way less than bents. but benting is a lot more fun
    > for me, except for, perhaps, trail running.

  11. Gary Mc

    Gary Mc Guest

    Al,

    This winter, after a couple year lay off, I decided to take another stab at running (jogging
    actually).

    I am 57 and nothing can be done in a hurry when it comes to changes in exercise. I need days off
    between exercise periods. My progress has been slow. But, the greatest effect may have been on my
    biking. I can only ride in town during the winter, the mountains being off limits due to weather. My
    aerobic conditioning usually falls off with all the stop and go riding.

    Enter running. After just 6 weeks, I am more comfortable on any climbing grade that I encounter on
    my around town rides. My wind is noticeably improved. If my knees hold out until spring, I may get a
    great jump on the biking season. On the other hand, I may just prove what Bob Siegel's doctor says.

    Gary McCarty, Greenspeed GTO, Salt Lake City

    "Al Kubeluis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > whoops, wrong group, well, anyway i just got back from a 4 mile run and got about the same workout
    > as a 1.5 to 2 hour ride. and running shoes cost way less than bents. but benting is a lot more fun
    > for me, except for, perhaps, trail running.

  12. Devon

    Devon Guest

    MARK!! I need to give you some eating lessons .... I was thinking "It never ceases to amaze me how
    much you can ride on a cycling holiday and still GAIN weight."

    "I eat therefore I am"

    DeVon

    [email protected] (Mark van Gorkom) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Actually. it never ceases to amaze me how much you can eat on a cycling holiday and still
    > lose weight!
    >
    > Mark van Gorkom.

  13. Bethf

    Bethf Guest

    "Al Kubeluis" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > whoops, wrong group, well, anyway i just got back from a 4 mile run and got about the same workout
    > as a 1.5 to 2 hour ride. and running shoes cost way less than
    bents.
    > but benting is a lot more fun for me, except for, perhaps, trail running.

    My spinning instructor used to run, but now she can only bike. I think that while running might be a
    really heavy duty workout, that its simply bad for your body.

  14. Old_mopar

    Old_mopar Guest

    I must agree, running is most likely the better to get and stay in shape. I was a long distance
    runner for years, my motto was 'I m not fast...I just last and last'. But slowly and surely
    something began to happen...My feet began to hurt. I can not spell the medical term for it. I ended
    up spending bunches of money and having in-serts for my shoes. I also did a lot of walking when I
    work, A lot of walking! I' m retired now so that has not been a issue. To stay in shape I surf,
    weather permitting. I will every so often take a short run, which sets my wife off..'ya know ya
    ain't suppose to do that!' pointing finger at me. So now I bike, the recumbent is a life saver. But
    the touble is I sometimes ride further then I should, and before I realize it because the bent is so
    much fun, I am in the next state. Got caught once in bad storms, had to call wife to come and get me
    in the van...fussed at me all the way home. All she would say..is 'Geez..I am glad that dog does't
    ride a bike...God knows where that thing would end up...! Hmmm...me....dog...oh well least my feet
    don't hurt. Old_Mopar Stratus

  15. On 30 Jan 2003 16:32:27 -0800, [email protected] (Old_Mopar) wrote:

    >But slowly and surely something began to happen...My feet began to hurt. I can not spell the
    >medical term for it.

    Plantar fascitis.

    -- Robert

  16. On Thu, 30 Jan 2003 15:29:43 -0900, "BethF" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I think that while running might be a really heavy duty workout, that its simply bad for your body.

    It's bad for some people's bodies, maybe even the majority over long periods of time. But there are
    plenty of 70+ marathoners and Iron Man triathletes out there, too.

    -- Robert, suffering from a running injury at the moment -- thank goodness for my bike &
    spinning classes!

  17. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    BethF wrote:

    > My spinning instructor used to run, but now she can only bike. I think that while running might be
    > a really heavy duty workout, that > its simply bad for your body.

    There is always the alternative of a push-scooter that provides a workout similar in intensity to
    running while eliminating the high impact to the muscular/skeletal system.

    I will be taking my new Sidewalker Micro out as soon as the snow clears.

    < http://www.sidewalkerscooters.com/models.htm >

  18. Bethf

    Bethf Guest

    "Robert Stevahn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Thu, 30 Jan 2003 15:29:43 -0900, "BethF" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >I think that while running might be a really heavy duty workout, that its simply bad
    for
    > >your body.
    >
    > It's bad for some people's bodies, maybe even the majority over long periods of time. But there
    > are plenty of 70+ marathoners and Iron Man triathletes out there, too.

    Interestingly enough, a glance at old runners shows me they are all extremely lightweight people.
    People with small muscles and small bones. Obviously, not a scientific study but I think that folks
    can run for fifty years. just not ALL folks have the body to be able to accomplish that.

  19. Mlb

    Mlb Guest

    Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > BethF wrote:
    >>
    >> My spinning instructor used to run, but now she can only bike. I think that while running might
    >> be a really heavy duty workout, that > its simply bad for your body.
    >
    > There is always the alternative of a push-scooter that provides a workout similar in intensity to
    > running while eliminating the high impact to the muscular/skeletal system.
    >
    > I will be taking my new Sidewalker Micro out as soon as the snow clears.
    >
    > < http://www.sidewalkerscooters.com/models.htm >
    >
    > Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side)

    Excercise physiologists told me 25 years ago (when I was 19 and at Purdue) that I ought to eliminate
    running as a way of keeping fit based on my body type. I was 5'10" 215lbs w/6% body fat at the time.
    Just too hard on the knees and hips when you are of the larger persuation (but not fat, then) :)

  20. Bethf

    Bethf Guest

    "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > There is always the alternative of a push-scooter that provides a workout similar in intensity to
    > running while eliminating the high impact to the muscular/skeletal system.

    I don't find scooting to be as cardio intensive as running, but then I have always suspected I am
    just a really crappy runner.