running light

Simpledog

Guest
I run in the desert, on hard pack trails. Does anyone make a flashlight/headlight thing-a-machinga
that will light my way so I don't twist an ankle on the uneven desert terrain?

Thanks

Simpledog wrote:
> I run in the desert, on hard pack trails. Does anyone make a flashlight/headlight thing-a-machinga
> that will light my way so I don't twist an ankle on the uneven desert terrain?

Black Diamond Ion

--
What am I on? I'm on my bike, o__ 6 hours a day, busting my ass. ,>/'_ What are you on? --Lance
Armstrong (_)\(_)

> I run in the desert, on hard pack trails. Does anyone make a flashlight/headlight thing-a-machinga
> that will light my way so I don't twist an ankle on the uneven desert terrain?
>
> Thanks

princeton tec scout

Keith Harrison wrote:

>>I run in the desert, on hard pack trails. Does anyone make a flashlight/headlight thing-a-machinga
>>that will light my way so I don't twist an ankle on the uneven desert terrain?

Jump onto google and search rec.running with subject "night running with a light". Lots of
information to peruse.

Doug Freese <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Keith Harrison wrote:

> >>I run in the desert, on hard pack trails. Does anyone make a flashlight/headlight
> >>thing-a-machinga that will light my way so I don't twist an ankle on the uneven desert terrain?
>
> Jump onto google and search rec.running with subject "night running with a light". Lots of
> information to peruse.

Many good choices out there. I like the dual-lamp types - an LED for diffuse illumination, and an
incandescent beam when you're footing is uncertain and you need better illumination in over a small
area. Use the LED whenever possible, as your batteries will last much longer than with the
incandescent lamp.

Also, make sure you get one with batteries in the back and the lamp up front. Models with the
batteries just behind the lamp are not as well balanced and tend to slip down in front as you run.

Kerry Wilson wrote:

> Also, make sure you get one with batteries in the back and the lamp up front. Models with the
> batteries just behind the lamp are not as well balanced and tend to slip down in front as you run.

Both of mine with AA batteries in front seem to work fine although I haven't used them for more than
1/2 hr at a time. That said, I forgot to take off the headlamp (it was turned off) the other night
as I was driving home so I guess it wasn't too uncomfortable for about 1+ hr on my head. I was more
concerned that it used AA batteries (so I can use lithiums) than where the batteries were located.

I just started a little experimenting with headlamp on head vs waist height, and initial preliminary
(probably not reproducible results) didn't see any difference in contrast on trail (light snow but
some footprints in it). However, the waist approach gets it below moisture from breath, which can be
an issue near in single digits F. Green seemed a little better than white, although may have been a
slightly wider beam (need to check again). This is same head, just different led's, which might have
different angles on them. We have really long twilights, so I haven't done an entire run in really
dark conditions yet.

Tried handheld again also and didn't like it because of motion, but this might not be as noticeable
with a larger, wider beam. The steadiness of headlamp beam acts as really good check on form and
negligible bounce.

Dot