Running music

Cc

Guest
Hello,

I found it extremely motivating to go running with certain sorts of music - the ones with a steady
militaristic (1-2) beat and rhythm.

I also listen to Bach, Beethoven, Wagner, Mozart, DeBussy, and Early (Medieval) Music like the ones
done by the Tallis Scholars. But for running purposes... believe it or not, I found these sorts of
songs extremely powerful in getting me out of the bed and out thru the front door and fuels my every
step for my 10km+ runs.

Songs taken from various albums from the band Linkin Park Faint - highly recommended - ironic eh? A
Place for My Head Numb Lyin from you Papercut Crawling in my skin Confused

Evanscence Bring me to Life (Remix with Paul McCoy)

Master and Commander movie Soundtrack The Battle

Run Lola Run movie Soundtrack (The first five or so songs)

Last of Mohicans (Micheal Mann 1996 movie) Soundtrack (The distant booming sound of the cannon -
although relatively soft - powers me up for the run Elk Hunt The Kiss Promentory

Matrix Reloaded soundtrack Mona Lisa

I tried running with Techno Rave music but I found it not motivating enough.

What other running music do other people listen to?

Cheers,

CC

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing? Where is the helm and the
hauberk, and the bright hair flowing? Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing? They have passed like rain on the
mountain, like a wind in the meadow; The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into
shadow. (LOTR:TOLKIEN)

CC wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I found it extremely motivating to go running with certain sorts of music - the ones with a steady
> militaristic (1-2) beat and rhythm.

Uncle Sam wants you!!!

If I'm running in a city or heavily used roads(not often) I like to listen for dogs, cars, trucks,
ugly people - those small things that keep me alive. If I'm on trails I listen for the birds, wind
and animals. Just for fun, leave the tunes at home and safely listen to your breathing.

After the supper bowl 1/2 time we can picture Janet Jackson's breast without the music. ;)

When I home or in my car I listen to music.

Most races don't enforce it but typically has a disclaimer on the entry form that tunes are not
allowed. It's for insurance purposes. If the tunes become a running crutch and you can't use then on
race day, maybe your creating a problem.

"CC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> I tried running with Techno Rave music but I found it not motivating
enough.

> What other running music do other people listen to?

I find "running" in itself to be the motivator. I'm not sure if I would enjoy a sport or activity
where I felt the need to use something like music to distract me/make the time go by faster/etc.
That makes no sense to me.

cheers,
--
David (in Hamilton, ON) www.allfalldown.org

"CC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello,
>
> I found it extremely motivating to go running with certain sorts of
music -
> the ones with a steady militaristic (1-2) beat and rhythm.

I only like to listen to music when I run on a treadmill, preferrably something with a beat
of around 180 steps per minute ;). When I am outside, the sights and sounds are just too good
to pass up.

--
ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º
eNo

CC,

I don't run with music during training, but I like your Linkin Park selections. I did notice during
my last marathon that whilst running by a heavy metal band, I felt I had a little more energy.

Rock On,

Malcontent

On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 09:25:13 GMT, "CC" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I found it extremely motivating to go running with certain sorts of music - the ones with a steady
>militaristic (1-2) beat and rhythm.

>Songs taken from various albums from the band Linkin Park Faint - highly recommended - ironic eh? A
>Place for My Head Numb Lyin from you Papercut Crawling in my skin Confused
>
>Evanscence Bring me to Life (Remix with Paul McCoy)
>

>Cheers,
>
>CC

I love to listen to LP when running, I try to analyze the lyrics as I run. I try not to listen to
the music unless I am hitting a point where I need "A crutch". I think that when running a "race"
the event itself provides enough stimulation to keep me going.

server.bigpond.net.au...

CC wrote:

> "Doug Freese" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:yUqUb.119583
>

>>If the tunes become a running crutch and you can't use then on race day, maybe your creating a
>>problem.
>

> I never said I race. Whats your problem?

My problem spanky is primarily safety. You can choose to ignore it. I added the race topic because
if you run with tunes all the time you are not in tune(pun intended) with your running and if you
race, you will need to meet yourself.

Yo, CC-

You hit on a point that pisses people off around here. They don't understand that some of us love
music and enjoy combining our love of running with our love of music. And yes- music has been shown
to cause people to run faster. http://groups.google.com/groups?q=Music+group:rec.running&hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-
8&group=rec.running&safe=off&selm=1fep75a.b42hl41343epgN%25news%40clydesoles.com&rnum=1

Because of my arthritic knees, most of my time is treadmill time. I LOVE music while running,
because I stay so busy I usually don't have time for music unless I'm on the treadmill.

Don't let the naysayers turn you off to it. swstudio and freese are good guys- I read their posts
regularly (though sw used to be much more active and had cool pictures of his ice cold runs on a
website and now he doesn't).

Here's my list:

Pink Floyd- Run Like Hell Cake- Going the Distance POD- Boom POD- Alive Led Zep- Over the Hills and
Far Away Poison- Nothing but a Good Time Kiss- Calling Dr. Love Quiet Riot- Come on Feel the Noize
.38 Special- Caught Up in You .38 Special- Hold On Loosely Roxette- She's Got the Look Def Leopard-
Pour Some Sugar on Me Genesis- ABACAB Molly Hatchet- Dreams I'll Never See Midnight Oil- Beds Are
Burning Nazareth- Hair of the Dog Ozzy Osbourne- Crazy Train Steve Miller Band- Take the Money and
Run The Fixx- Saved by Zero The Fixx- Red Skies at Night Styx- Waiting for our Time Duran Duran-
Hungry Like the Wolf Duran Duran- Rio Jethro Tull- Aqualung Foreigner- Feels Like the First Time Foreigner-
Juke Box Hero Foreigner- Hot Blooded Foreigner- Cold as Ice Creed- Higher Black Sabbath- After
Forever Billy Squire- The Stroke Billy Squire- Everybody Wants You Audio Adrenaline- Chevette ACDC-
Back in Black ACDC- You Shook Me All Night Long Stryper- Against the Law Pat Benetar- Hell is for
Children Sonic Flood- Open the Eyes of My Heart U2- Elevation U2- Sunday Bloody Sunday U2- Pride Toto-
Rosanna Donny Iris- Leah Queen- We Will Rock You Audio Adrenaline- Some Kind of Zombie Greg X Volz-
All I Can Do Audio Adrenaline- I'm Not the King Head East- Going Down for the Last Time Triumph- Lay
it On the Line Matrix Movie- Lobby Scene Kansas- Relentless Kansas- Fight Fire with Fire Flock of
Seagulls- I Ran Bon Jovi- Living on a Prayer Cheap Trick- Surrender Devo- Girl You Want The Fixx-
Stand or Fall Kajagoogoo- Too Shy Simply Minds- Alive and Kicking REO Speedwagon- Riding the Storm
Out REO Speedwagon- Roll With the Changes Folk Implosion- Natural One Point Blank- Mean to Your
Queenie Modern English- Melt with You Rush- Tom Sawyer Sammy Hagar- I Can't Drive 55 Rush- Red
Barchetta The Police- Synchronicity Triumph- Magic Power Van Halen- Running with the Devil Van Halen-
Panama Van Halen- Standing On Top of the World Yes- Leave It Yes- Changes

Cheers, Brian

"CC" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:zGsUb.43639$Wa.25907@news-
server.bigpond.net.au...
: "Doug Freese" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:yUqUb.119583
:
: > If the tunes become a running crutch and you can't use then on race day, maybe your creating a
: > problem.
:
: I never said I race. Whats your problem?
:
:

I never did understand this recurring thread. I don't run with music. I
prefer to be in the moment and engrossed in the activity itself. I feel
there is enough 'noise' in our day-to-day lives without bring more into
my running. For me, the run is a chance to hit the 'reset' button,
experience the outdoors, enjoy some quiet time, etc. However, if I DID
run with music (and I do LOVE music), I would probably listen to music
that I like! Duh?! :) I don't really understand the concept of looking
at other people's lists of "running music". I don't even understand the
concept of "running music" itself. If I feel like I'm in the mood to
listen to Bach or Miles Davis or Gillian Welch or Missy Elliot or
whatever... that's what I would listen to :)

--
Nova Scotia, Canada

"bikeme" <[email protected]> wrote:

> And yes- music has been shown to cause people to run faster.

That could actually be a reason NOT to take the music along... if you're trying to do slow, base-
building runs or otherwise keep a slow steady pace. You know... like when you're in a race and you
pass one of those bands playing on the course and you suddenly break into a sprint... and then crash
and burn for the rest of the race :) I've had that happen. Just for the record... I have no problem
with people listening to music and running... what would I?!?! And I'm a HUGE music fan. It's just
not the way I prefer to enjoy my runs.

--
Nova Scotia, Canada

It's not that you don't choose to listen to music when you run. It's that you judge those of us who
do. The whole tone of this thread has been somewhat condescending. Music is not my motivator.
Exceeding myself is. It doesn't distract me- it focuses me. It doesn't make me, personally, go
faster unless I want it to. (The study says it can, but I'm in control of me).

And, to be honest, the sights/sounds/smells in the gym are not something I prefer to concentrate on.
Yeah, I'd love to run outside more. But with my knees, I'm lucky to be able to run at all.

Bringing it all back to my main point- I would hope that you'd just be happy for other kindred
spirits who run, even if we choose to express our running in different ways. Life's too short to
look down on the people we have contact with.

"SwStudio" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
: "CC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
: > I tried running with Techno Rave music but I found it not motivating
: enough.
: >
: > What other running music do other people listen to?
:
:
: I find "running" in itself to be the motivator. I'm not sure if I would enjoy a sport or activity
: where I felt the need to use something like music to distract me/make the time go by faster/etc.
: That makes no sense to me.
:
:
: cheers,
: --

On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 21:09:28 -0500, "bikeme" <[email protected]> wrote:

>It's not that you don't choose to listen to music when you run. It's that you judge those of us who
>do. The whole tone of this thread has been somewhat condescending. Music is not my motivator.
>Exceeding myself is. It doesn't distract me- it focuses me. It doesn't make me, personally, go
>faster unless I want it to. (The study says it can, but I'm in control of me).
some people need to externalize. some people internalize. i do the latter. i can run for 90 minutes
and not be bored for a second. i have so much to think about. and figure out.

others are "bored" in 5 minutes and need a trick to keep themselves going. each to his/her own.
...thehick

I listen to a mix of dance music (not strictly techno, a lot funkier) and rock while I run. I find
it so much easier to run with music because I can get lost in it and find a rhythm. There's this one
track I have that when it kicks in halfway through makes me sprint like nothing else just because it
feels so good!

My favourites are:

Planet Funk/Layo and Bushwacka - Chase the Sun / Love Story mix Basement Jaxx - Good Luck Adam
Freeland - Supernatural Thing Devo - Girl You Want Inner City - Good Life Red Hot Chilli Peppers -
Higher Ground Grand Popo Football Club - Men Are Not Nice Guys

Miss-G-

"CC" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:ZZnUb.43127$Wa.29171@news-
server.bigpond.net.au...
> Hello,
>
> I found it extremely motivating to go running with certain sorts of
music -
> the ones with a steady militaristic (1-2) beat and rhythm.
>
> I also listen to Bach, Beethoven, Wagner, Mozart, DeBussy, and Early (Medieval) Music like the
> ones done by the Tallis Scholars. But for
running
> purposes... believe it or not, I found these sorts of songs extremely powerful in getting me out
> of the bed and out thru the front door and
fuels
> my every step for my 10km+ runs.
>
> Songs taken from various albums from the band Linkin Park Faint - highly recommended - ironic eh?
> A Place for My Head Numb Lyin from you Papercut Crawling in my skin Confused
>
> Evanscence Bring me to Life (Remix with Paul McCoy)
>
> Master and Commander movie Soundtrack The Battle
>
> Run Lola Run movie Soundtrack (The first five or so songs)
>
> Last of Mohicans (Micheal Mann 1996 movie) Soundtrack (The distant booming sound of the cannon -
> although relatively soft -
powers
> me up for the run Elk Hunt The Kiss Promentory
>
> Matrix Reloaded soundtrack Mona Lisa
>
> I tried running with Techno Rave music but I found it not motivating
enough.

> What other running music do other people listen to?
>

> Cheers,
>
> CC

> Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing? Where is the helm and the
> hauberk, and the bright hair flowing? Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire
> glowing? Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing? They have passed like rain
> on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow; The days have gone down in the West behind the hills
> into shadow. (LOTR:TOLKIEN)

I like peoples running music lists because I love finding music I haven't heard before.

Miss-G-

"David" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I never did understand this recurring thread. I don't run with music. I prefer to be in the moment
> and engrossed in the activity itself. I feel there is enough 'noise' in our day-to-day lives
> without bring more into my running. For me, the run is a chance to hit the 'reset' button,
> experience the outdoors, enjoy some quiet time, etc. However, if I DID run with music (and I do
> LOVE music), I would probably listen to music that I like! Duh?! :) I don't really understand the
> concept of looking at other people's lists of "running music". I don't even understand the concept
> of "running music" itself. If I feel like I'm in the mood to listen to Bach or Miles Davis or
> Gillian Welch or Missy Elliot or whatever... that's what I would listen to :)
>
> --
> Nova Scotia, Canada

Yo, Miss

I'm just like you- I love checking out new music. Thanks for your list. Devo, eh? I thought I was
the only one in the world who still listened to a song or two by them! Thanks again!

Brian

"Miss-G-" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p7DUb.44015$Wa.29234@news-
server.bigpond.net.au...
[...]
: > --
: > **********************************************

"bikeme" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Yo, CC-
>
> You hit on a point that pisses people off around here. They don't understand that some of us love
> music and enjoy combining our love of running with our love of music. And yes- music has been
> shown to cause people to run faster.

Hello bikeme,

Really? I didn't realize there was a group of extremists running around here. I bet they even feel
offended if you were wearing a different color T-shirt.

Yeah I do a bit of trendmill running too. A long time ago I laughed at the idea. Its seemed silly.
But I realized it has quite a few benefits - on the trendmill I'm able to get into a trancelike zone
and blot out all my worries. On the road, there are always things that distract me - weather, road
conditions, cars, bikes, pedestrians, dogs, loose gravel, etc..

Cheers,

Crimson

"David" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:user-
> experience the outdoors, enjoy some quiet time, etc. However, if I DID run with music (and I do
> LOVE music), I would probably listen to music that I like! Duh?! :) I don't really understand the
> concept of looking

Oh FFS c'mon. All I asked was what sort of music other people run to.

If you don't like running with music - so what big deal. I didn't ask for your opinion.

If you have music you like running to - then tell us about it - then other people can grab an mp3
copy or CD of it and listen to it.

Its the same thing as asking what sort of beautiful running (or hiking) areas people go to.

Don't be so narrow minded.

Doug Freese <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> CC wrote:
> > I found it extremely motivating to go running with certain sorts of music - the ones with a
> > steady militaristic (1-2) beat and rhythm.

> Uncle Sam wants you!!!

I take it that the militaristic music here is of the kind that we see marines in basic training
singing while they run in formation (with the sort of call-and-answer structure that would seem to
stem from slave work songs)?

I find that kind of rhythm too regimented for natural running, but it seems to be well-suited for
running uphill.

I either hum similar Finnish army ditties (which usually are bits of kindergarten songs!) or my own
version of the USM ones. (Since I cannot remember any of the original lyrics, the words are simply:
"I don´t need this f-g ****!" repeated over and over...))

> Most races don't enforce it but typically has a disclaimer on the entry form that tunes are not
> allowed. It's for insurance purposes. If the tunes become a running crutch and you can't use then
> on race day, maybe your creating a problem.

Why, you don´t need any equipment to keep the tunes going:)

(Though sometimes you´d like to be able to turn them off simply by pressing a button...)

Anders