Running out of gears

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Vanquish, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Vanquish

Vanquish New Member

Hiya I have read a few articles on ratio's but it is still giving me a headache I am running Ultegra rear 11-c3 (23?) and a 50/34 front which came standard on my Cervelo.
    In descent's especially but also in fast pacing I am needing a bigger gear, I spin 100rpm/av so I am not lugging big gears, I was suggested change the rear cassette but most seem to only go to 11? Does this mean I need to swap the front out? I do spend a reasonable amount of time climbing and can afford to lose a bit of the 'higher?' gears.. Please help need to make some changes before hill races begin.

Cheers

Tags:

2. Peter@vecchios

[email protected] New Member

Put on a 52T and be gentle when you shift from the small ring to the big ring but it'll work. Slower cadence and less pedal pressure when you shift.

3. dabac

dabac Well-Known Member

100 rpm, 50/11, 28" wheels would give you 38MPH. Doable in a descent, but that's wicked fast for pacing.

I think I've seen some special cassettes/lockrings that went to 9. Don't recall where. Otherwise it's that or practise spinning.

4. OldGoat

OldGoat New Member

Another option would be to swap your 50/34 compact crank for a standard 53/39 double (or a 53/39/30 triple if going up the other side of the hill is problematic). That, with an 11- or 12-tooth small cog in the back should give you the higher gear-inches you apparently seek.

5. tafi

tafi Member

I agree that you're probably looking at a standard crankset but don't expect to go any faster than with your current set up.

I must admit I don't see too many people just "ride along" at 53kph (which is what you're saying about your current ratios and rpm) unless there's a distinct tail wind or gradient involved. The fastest guys in the world normally don't run more than a 53-11 gear (even for sprints), and the difference in top end between a 50 and a 53 isn't all that great. At 100 rpm you're looking at a speed difference of only 3.2kph (2mph). Equivalent to turning 106rpm with a compact instead of 100.

The more important question you need to ask yourself is: will you give away the climbing gears you use by switching from a 34 to a 39?