running out of steam

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by wardie2000, Sep 2, 2003.

1. wardie2000

wardie2000 New Member

After about 15km of racing, i run out of energy and can only go at a pace of about 25-30km/h for about 5mins. After the 5mins i am back to my normal pace.
    any ideas as to specific training to avoid this?

any help apprecicated!!

Tags:

2. 2LAP

2LAP New Member

Check out this thread... http://www.cyclingforums.com/t41023.html

Also what do you mean run out of steam? What are the symptoms (i.e. out of breath, sore legs, etc)? The more specific the better.

3. wardie2000

wardie2000 New Member

my legs aren't sore or anything like that, i just can't keep up with race pace for a short time, it is a real effort to keep my legs turning over. after the 5mins i can ride quicker than before, but by this time the peloton are a couple of mins up the road!!
    my breathing is normal but my legs just don't seem to work!

4. 2LAP

2LAP New Member

Do you mean that you are not out of breath?

Are there any particular times when you get dropped (e.g. sudden surges, over hill tops, after 5 mins of constant riding)?

Do your legs burn?

5. wardie2000

wardie2000 New Member

There are no sudden surges or anything like that, but there are small hills involved in some cases. If there are no hills, my legs could be described as going to jelly. It is a real effort to attain a reasonable speed.
    Regarding being out of breath, my breathing does not change much during this period of poor perormance.

6. 2LAP

2LAP New Member

Being out of breath, having local muscular discomfort or the knock are the main symptoms for fatigue on a bike. As you are neither out of breath, suffering muscular discomfort or suffering from the knock it is dificult to say exactly what is causing your fatigue!

I think it may be related to a gradual accumulation of lactic acid over 15 minutes. This results in your muscles weakening without any real discomfort in your legs. After 15 minutes the lactate is removed from circulation and you are able to exercise again.

Next time you are on your bike and have the same thing, try raising the pace or sprinting. You should find that your legs tie up pretty quickly and you may experiance a little burning in your legs.

Two types of training may help...

Short intervals (e.g. 30 seconds on with rests of 5 minutes) performed explosivly.

Long intervals at LT or TT pace. (e.g. 15 to 20 minutes with similar rest).

Check out .... http://www.cyclingforums.com/t38207.html and http://www.cyclingforums.com/t28345-15-1.html for more information.

7. xraptorx

xraptorx New Member

tag for later reference