running routes near San Francisco

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Phil M., Mar 6, 2004.

  1. Phil M.

    Phil M. Guest

    I'm looking for a few good routes for some 15 to 18 mile
    runs in the San Francisco area. I'll be staying in La Honda,
    which is 8 miles east of the beach or route 1 and 16 miles
    southwest of Stanford University. I'd be willing to drive up
    to 20 miles to find a prime location. Is anybody familiar
    with the area that could offer some suggestions? Thanks.

    Phil

    --
    "No matter how good or great a man may be, there is yet a better and a
    greater man within him." -Karl Humboldt

    Tags:

  2. Rick++

    Rick++ Guest

    > I'm looking for a few good routes for some 15 to 18 mile
    > runs in the San Francisco area.

    Some variation of the Portola Valley Loop: Sand Hill Road
    west to Portola Valley Road to Asterdoro to Page Mill to
    Junipero Serra back to Sand Hill. Much of it is under
    shady trees. Not too many intersections to cross.
    Drinking fountains at the Portola-Asterado intersection,
    and at the entrance of Asteradero Park. I think this loop
    is about 16 miles.

    A Stanford perimeter with a dish loop is about 8 miles. That
    goes Stanford Ave to El Camino to the Stanford Shopping
    Center, run around the rear to Sand Hill to Junipero Serra
    to Campus Drive then through the gate up the hill loop back
    down to Stanford Avenue.

    But you are so close to San Francisco. There many super-
    scenery areas with not too many cars. One run is the
    shoreline loop. Start at the Embarcadero under the Bay
    Bridge and run along the wharfs through Fisherman wharf to
    the marina green by the golden gate bdige then south through
    lincoln avenue then find the trails to lands end then down
    to ocean beach. Then close the loop turning inland at golden
    gate park. I recommend between the end of the park and the
    Embarcadero to take J or N street car, because that section
    is pretty urban.

    Another place is combine the golden gate area with the marin
    headlands. The headlands is mostly hills. You can run across
    the east side of the bridge. You can use the out-and-back
    method. You could run 60-75 minutes out then return.

  3. Phil M.

    Phil M. Guest

    [email protected] (rick++) wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    >> I'm looking for a few good routes for some 15 to 18 mile
    >> runs in the San Francisco area.
    >
    > Some variation of the Portola Valley Loop: Sand Hill Road
    > west to Portola Valley Road to Asterdoro to Page Mill to
    > Junipero Serra back to Sand Hill. Much of it is under
    > shady trees. Not too many intersections to cross.
    > Drinking fountains at the Portola-Asterado intersection,
    > and at the entrance of Asteradero Park. I think this loop
    > is about 16 miles.
    >
    > A Stanford perimeter with a dish loop is about 8 miles.
    > That goes Stanford Ave to El Camino to the Stanford
    > Shopping Center, run around the rear to Sand Hill to
    > Junipero Serra to Campus Drive then through the gate up
    > the hill loop back down to Stanford Avenue.
    >
    > But you are so close to San Francisco. There many super-
    > scenery areas with not too many cars. One run is the
    > shoreline loop. Start at the Embarcadero under the Bay
    > Bridge and run along the wharfs through Fisherman wharf to
    > the marina green by the golden gate bdige then south
    > through lincoln avenue then find the trails to lands end
    > then down to ocean beach. Then close the loop turning
    > inland at golden gate park. I recommend between the end of
    > the park and the Embarcadero to take J or N street car,
    > because that section is pretty urban.
    >
    > Another place is combine the golden gate area with the
    > marin headlands. The headlands is mostly hills. You can
    > run across the east side of the bridge. You can use the
    > out-and-back method. You could run 60-75 minutes out
    > then return.

    Thanks for the information. I'll be in San Francisco from
    July 8th to the 12th. I checked the local races during that
    time. As it turns out, there is one race that looks very
    interesting, the inaugural Wine Country Half Marathon. It
    will be on Sunday, July 11th.

    http://www.usraceseries.com/wchalf.htm

    Have you heard of it?

    Phil

    --
    If you can empty your own boat Crossing the river of the
    world, No one will oppose you, No one will seek to harm you.

  4. Phil M.

    Phil M. Guest

    [email protected] (Mike Conway) wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Mike C
    >
    >>Thanks for the information. I'll be in San Francisco from
    >>July 8th to the 12th. I checked the local races during
    >>that time. As it turns out, there is one race that looks
    >>very interesting, the inaugural Wine Country Half
    >>Marathon. It will be on Sunday, July 11th.
    >>
    >>http://www.usraceseries.com/wchalf.htm
    >>
    >>Have you heard of it?

    > Since it's an "inaugural" race, none of us will have heard
    > of it... ;-)
    >
    > Not heard of "Fogcutter productions" either (the race
    > producer), so no advice there. The generic description of
    > the course sounds interesting enough---it's hard to go too
    > wrong running anywhere in wine country!
    >
    > I would say if you're going to be there, give it a go...

    According to the web site, "Aid stations will be manned at
    the start, finish and intervals in between (7). Each of the
    wineries along the course will sponsor aid stations compete
    [sic] with water or isotonic, and even a one-ounce taster of
    their lightest varietal should you be inclined."

    This sounds like fun.

    -Phil

  5. Phil M.

    Phil M. Guest

    [email protected] (Mike Conway) wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Mike C
    >
    >>Thanks for the information. I'll be in San Francisco from
    >>July 8th to the 12th. I checked the local races during
    >>that time. As it turns out, there is one race that looks
    >>very interesting, the inaugural Wine Country Half
    >>Marathon. It will be on Sunday, July 11th.
    >>
    >>http://www.usraceseries.com/wchalf.htm
    >>
    >>Have you heard of it?

    > Since it's an "inaugural" race, none of us will have heard
    > of it... ;-)
    >
    > Not heard of "Fogcutter productions" either (the race
    > producer), so no advice there. The generic description of
    > the course sounds interesting enough---it's hard to go too
    > wrong running anywhere in wine country!
    >
    > I would say if you're going to be there, give it a go...

    According to the web site, "Aid stations will be manned at
    the start, finish and intervals in between (7). Each of the
    wineries along the course will sponsor aid stations compete
    [sic] with water or isotonic, and even a one-ounce taster of
    their lightest varietal should you be inclined."

    This sounds like fun.

    -Phil

  6. Phil M.

    Phil M. Guest

    [email protected] (Mike Conway) wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Mike C
    >
    >>Thanks for the information. I'll be in San Francisco from
    >>July 8th to the 12th. I checked the local races during
    >>that time. As it turns out, there is one race that looks
    >>very interesting, the inaugural Wine Country Half
    >>Marathon. It will be on Sunday, July 11th.
    >>
    >>http://www.usraceseries.com/wchalf.htm
    >>
    >>Have you heard of it?

    > Since it's an "inaugural" race, none of us will have heard
    > of it... ;-)
    >
    > Not heard of "Fogcutter productions" either (the race
    > producer), so no advice there. The generic description of
    > the course sounds interesting enough---it's hard to go too
    > wrong running anywhere in wine country!
    >
    > I would say if you're going to be there, give it a go...

    According to the web site, "Aid stations will be manned at
    the start, finish and intervals in between (7). Each of the
    wineries along the course will sponsor aid stations compete
    [sic] with water or isotonic, and even a one-ounce taster of
    their lightest varietal should you be inclined."

    This sounds like fun.

    -Phil

  7. Steve W.

    Steve W. Guest

    Phil, You picked a great area for running. I would add
    Sawyer Camp bike path and dirt trail out and back along
    Crystal Springs Reservoir. Memorial Park about 4 miles from
    LaHonda. Huddard Park about 15 miles away. In addition there
    are 5 or more open space preserves along Skyline (hwy 35)
    that are full of trails. There are too many good runs, you
    should probably stay another week.

    Steve W.

    "Phil M." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I'm looking for a few good routes for some 15 to 18 mile
    > runs in the San Francisco area. I'll be staying in La
    > Honda, which is 8 miles east of the beach or route 1 and
    > 16 miles southwest of Stanford University. I'd be willing
    > to drive up to 20 miles to find a prime location. Is
    > anybody familiar with the area that could offer some
    > suggestions? Thanks.
    >
    > Phil

  8. Rick++

    Rick++ Guest

    > Phil, You picked a great area for running. I would add
    > Sawyer Camp bike path and dirt trail out and back along
    > Crystal Springs Reservoir. Memorial Park about 4 miles
    > from LaHonda. Huddard Park about 15 miles away. In
    > addition there are 5 or more open space preserves along
    > Skyline (hwy 35) that are full of trails. There are too
    > many good runs, you should probably stay another week.

    One comment about trail running: the area has lots of
    poison oak, which growing madly after a wet winter. Dont
    touch any plants.

  9. Phil M.

    Phil M. Guest

    [email protected] (rick++) wrote in news:f7422d8e.0403110653.67ed1ab0
    @posting.google.com:

    >> Phil, You picked a great area for running. I would add
    >> Sawyer Camp bike path and dirt trail out and back along
    >> Crystal Springs Reservoir. Memorial Park about 4 miles
    >> from LaHonda. Huddard Park about 15 miles away. In
    >> addition there are 5 or more open space preserves along
    >> Skyline (hwy 35) that are full of trails. There are too
    >> many good runs, you should probably stay another week.
    >
    > One comment about trail running: the area has lots of
    > poison oak, which growing madly after a wet winter. Dont
    > touch any plants.

    I do remember that from when I used to live there. Thanks
    for the reminder.

    -Phil