Running ruins cycling...

stanngg

Oct 14, 2007
So one of my teamates tells me that I shouldn't run during the winter or during the season because it can inhibit cycling performance. Says it affects the muscles differently. Seemed a little strange to me since I know several tri-athletes who are strong cyclist but I heard this more then once. Can runnig actually hurt cycling performance?

stanngg said:
So one of my teamates tells me that I shouldn't run during the winter or during the season because it can inhibit cycling performance. Says it affects the muscles differently. Seemed a little strange to me since I know several tri-athletes who are strong cyclist but I heard this more then once. Can runnig actually hurt cycling performance?
Lance ran the NYC marathon awhile back and it hasn't hurt him much.

Too much running will hurt, not necessarily "ruin", cycling performance. Some running won't hurt cycling performance. What constitutes "too much" and "some" for you is what needs to be determined...further, how do you define cycling "performance"?

Fday said:
Lance ran the NYC marathon awhile back and it hasn't hurt him much.
Lance also came from a background in Triathlon which included a bit of running. Hinault also ran a bit during the winter if the weather was too bad... I'd say that both of them were kinda handy on a bike.

As a former runner, I agree with what function said. It only affects you negatively if it impedes on your workouts. The vibrations caused by the impact of running actually makes you sore a lot faster than in cycling. If you don't have a bike, running is fine to keep some form of fitness, but don't put it in between your workouts!

function said:
Running only negatively affects my cycling if i let it encroach on cycling workouts. If you plan your days carefully you should be able to get good workouts of both. I still run in order to strengthen tendons, ligaments and general health, but i'd never schedule a hard cycling/interval day after a run.

serious cyclists' legs are like ballet dancers legs, in terms of fragility. I would certainly avoid any contact sports and running during your season. In winter is ok to do some of those but for different reasons, like having an active rest and finding back your motivation for your next season.

Meek One said:
Well, I went running yesterday and tore my hamstring :( , so I'd say YES. ;)
Sorry to hear of this, Meek! Were you just running, or were you sprinting??? A "tear" is a serious injury...

i had got an inflamed IT band (runs from outside of knee and attaches at the hip bone) and was off for 3 mths from running and biking one winter. i wasn't stretching enough. doctor said that cycling tends to shorten an IT band and running demands a loose limber IT band.

this is supposed to be the most common problem encountered by biker-runners... super painful! if you are going to run you better stretch your IT band... wouldn't wish that kind of pain on my worst enemy.

tonyzackery said:
Sorry to hear of this, Meek! Were you just running, or were you sprinting??? A "tear" is a serious injury...

Ummm :eek: accelerating out of corner a little too hard for the old body... :p
That'll learn me! ;)

doctorSpoc said:
i had got an inflamed IT band (runs from outside of knee and attaches at the hip bone) and was off for 3 mths from running and biking one winter. i wasn't stretching enough. doctor said that cycling tends to shorten an IT band and running demands a loose limber IT band.

this is supposed to be the most common problem encountered by biker-runners... super painful! if you are going to run you better stretch your IT band... wouldn't wish that kind of pain on my worst enemy.

I had that for a day or so from the bike, but the stretching for it cured it immediately. Very relieved.

et2_StreckeTdF06.jpg

Marcel Wüst, legend w/ typical ballerina legs, has always enjoyed running.

Angry Mayfair riding next to MW has kept look in his face same after all these years..

:D

jhuskey said:
Running is hard on the knees. imo

It is. I only started recently because:
1. I am a flyweight now at just a little over 90kg (well 93)
2. I don't want to lose all bone mass like those recent studies demonstrate
3. I don't always have my bike with me and simply would like to be able to run

In retrospect:
1. Wasn't low enough
2. I lift so it probably doesn't include me
3. Good idea, but immediately....FAIL

Yet for some reason I still want to do it...

FWIW I am a hard core drug user now too, since I am addicted to Zackery's drug of choice right now too.

RHR38 said:
et2_StreckeTdF06.jpg

Marcel Wüst, legend w/ typical ballerina legs, has always enjoyed running.

Angry Mayfair riding next to MW has kept look in his face same after all these years..

:D
That looks like Bernard Hinault on the right...

UCI_Aylwin said:
As a former runner, I agree with what function said. It only affects you negatively if it impedes on your workouts. The vibrations caused by the impact of running actually makes you sore a lot faster than in cycling. If you don't have a bike, running is fine to keep some form of fitness, but don't put it in between your workouts!
The key here is if running encroaches into your cycling training program. In the off-season, if you're not cycling as much, then running is a pretty good bang-for-the-buck aerobic activity. If you're focused on cycling as a discipline and train consistently for it during the season, then a lot of running, for obvious reasons, can be a detriment. A good training program for cycling involves a balance between focusing on different metabolic systems, progressive overload and recovery. Run too much and it throws a wrench into that whole plan.

Alwin's right about the soreness. Running is a higher impact, eccentric muscle movement. Muscles elongate slightly and stretch as your leg impacts terra firma. This causes slight muscle tearing. Cycling is a concentric movement. Your muscles are shortening and don't stretch. It is also is not a load bearing exercise. It's for this reason that adding some weight training and running in the off-season is a good idea, especially if you're older. Cycling doesn't stimulate bone growth like higher impact activities, and a lot of guys who have been putting in a lot of miles over the years now have the bone density of osteoperotic older women - The Glass Collarbone Syndrome.

If Alwin keeps crashing his new Felt at the Como Street Ride, he might suffer a broken collarbone.

Haha, yeah, let's hope I NEVER have to suffer that.

bbrauer said:
The key here is if running encroaches into your cycling training program. In the off-season, if you're not cycling as much, then running is a pretty good bang-for-the-buck aerobic activity. If you're focused on cycling as a discipline and train consistently for it during the season, then a lot of running, for obvious reasons, can be a detriment. A good training program for cycling involves a balance between focusing on different metabolic systems, progressive overload and recovery. Run too much and it throws a wrench into that whole plan.

Alwin's right about the soreness. Running is a higher impact, eccentric muscle movement. Muscles elongate slightly and stretch as your leg impacts terra firma. This causes slight muscle tearing. Cycling is a concentric movement. Your muscles are shortening and don't stretch. It is also is not a load bearing exercise. It's for this reason that adding some weight training and running in the off-season is a good idea, especially if you're older. Cycling doesn't stimulate bone growth like higher impact activities, and a lot of guys who have been putting in a lot of miles over the years now have the bone density of osteoperotic older women - The Glass Collarbone Syndrome.

If Alwin keeps crashing his new Felt at the Como Street Ride, he might suffer a broken collarbone.