Running shoes, need advice

Jayk Stone

Guest
Thanks again to everyone who repsonded to my last request for
information. I'd like to get some input on a new pair of running
shoes. Last week I purchased a pair of NB 717's.

http://www.newbalance.com/productbr...roduct=M717WB&product_type=shoe&sport=Running

Does anyone have any experience with this shoe? I've noticed when
running it feels like I'm striking the shoe almost flat on the ground
when I land where I believe I should be landing closer to the heel and
rolling forward. Does that make any sense? The website says they
provide "stability and motion control" Sounds great!

I have a damanged tendon in the arch of one foot and have been using
hard plastic inserts to provide needed arch support. I thought these
would work however I'm having doubts now after running in them. This
is only my second pair of running shoes and perhaps there is a normal
adjustment period?

Any recomendations?

Thanks again,

Tyler

[email protected] (Jayk Stone) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

<snip>

> Does anyone have any experience with this shoe? I've noticed when
> running it feels like I'm striking the shoe almost flat on the ground
> when I land where I believe I should be landing closer to the heel and
> rolling forward.

Tyler....

Running is not walking. The last thing you want to do when running is
land on your heel. Running has a lot of impact and you need to be
able to take that impact.

Your body has an arch in your foot that helps to spread out the force
of the impact. You want to land on or near the ball/ the back of the
ball of your foot when you run. This will allow the arch of your foot
to dissipate the impact.

If you land on your heel, your ankles, knees and hips will have to
dissipate the force. These joints do this anyway...but having your
arch as an "extra fighter" in the war against impact helps joints stay
healthy & happy.

Another r.r. named Lyndon posted this website a couple of months ago
but I thought the photos were so awesome. It really shows what good
running form should look like:

http://www.advantageathletics.com/sprints/suzy_favor_hamilton.html

You can see she's landing straight in the middle of her foot. Now
obviously as low mileage runners we don't want to take these huge
strides that she's is taking as a world class sprinter. But you can
see so much good stuff here - the ankle angle, an overall up-right
form, a nice lean, how she runs vertically rather than
horizontally....

For form questions, google some of the ozzie stuff and some of
donovan's opinions on ozzie's vibe. Between the two of them they
offer a nice middle ground of running form.

Does that make any sense? The website says they
> provide "stability and motion control" Sounds great!
>
> I have a damanged tendon in the arch of one foot and have been using
> hard plastic inserts to provide needed arch support. I thought these
> would work however I'm having doubts now after running in them. This
> is only my second pair of running shoes and perhaps there is a normal
> adjustment period?

I know nothing about arch injuries...sorry.