Running shoes, need advice

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Jayk Stone, Sep 22, 2004.

  1. Jayk Stone

    Jayk Stone Guest

    Thanks again to everyone who repsonded to my last request for
    information. I'd like to get some input on a new pair of running
    shoes. Last week I purchased a pair of NB 717's.

    http://www.newbalance.com/productbr...roduct=M717WB&product_type=shoe&sport=Running

    Does anyone have any experience with this shoe? I've noticed when
    running it feels like I'm striking the shoe almost flat on the ground
    when I land where I believe I should be landing closer to the heel and
    rolling forward. Does that make any sense? The website says they
    provide "stability and motion control" Sounds great!

    I have a damanged tendon in the arch of one foot and have been using
    hard plastic inserts to provide needed arch support. I thought these
    would work however I'm having doubts now after running in them. This
    is only my second pair of running shoes and perhaps there is a normal
    adjustment period?

    Any recomendations?

    Thanks again,

    Tyler

    Tags:

  2. Becca

    Becca Guest

    [email protected] (Jayk Stone) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    <snip>

    > Does anyone have any experience with this shoe? I've noticed when
    > running it feels like I'm striking the shoe almost flat on the ground
    > when I land where I believe I should be landing closer to the heel and
    > rolling forward.

    Tyler....

    Running is not walking. The last thing you want to do when running is
    land on your heel. Running has a lot of impact and you need to be
    able to take that impact.

    Your body has an arch in your foot that helps to spread out the force
    of the impact. You want to land on or near the ball/ the back of the
    ball of your foot when you run. This will allow the arch of your foot
    to dissipate the impact.

    If you land on your heel, your ankles, knees and hips will have to
    dissipate the force. These joints do this anyway...but having your
    arch as an "extra fighter" in the war against impact helps joints stay
    healthy & happy.

    Another r.r. named Lyndon posted this website a couple of months ago
    but I thought the photos were so awesome. It really shows what good
    running form should look like:

    http://www.advantageathletics.com/sprints/suzy_favor_hamilton.html

    You can see she's landing straight in the middle of her foot. Now
    obviously as low mileage runners we don't want to take these huge
    strides that she's is taking as a world class sprinter. But you can
    see so much good stuff here - the ankle angle, an overall up-right
    form, a nice lean, how she runs vertically rather than
    horizontally....

    For form questions, google some of the ozzie stuff and some of
    donovan's opinions on ozzie's vibe. Between the two of them they
    offer a nice middle ground of running form.

    Does that make any sense? The website says they
    > provide "stability and motion control" Sounds great!
    >
    > I have a damanged tendon in the arch of one foot and have been using
    > hard plastic inserts to provide needed arch support. I thought these
    > would work however I'm having doubts now after running in them. This
    > is only my second pair of running shoes and perhaps there is a normal
    > adjustment period?

    I know nothing about arch injuries...sorry.