Running two different size cassettes?

anyone know if it would cause any problems to run a 12-25 cassette on
my training wheelset but a 12-21 on my race wheelset? or would i have
to mess with the derailleur settings each time i switched? thanks much!

<snip q: re multiple cassettes>

Insure that the 12-25 will work and the 12-21 will too.

D'ohBoy

[email protected] wrote:
> anyone know if it would cause any problems to run a 12-25 cassette on
> my training wheelset but a 12-21 on my race wheelset? or would i have
> to mess with the derailleur settings each time i switched? thanks much!

You should not have to change any derailleur settings. Make sure the
chain is set up to go around the large chainring and the 25 cog. You
will have a bit of extra chain when running the 12-21 cassette, but a
short cage rear derailleur should easily have enough capacity to handle
13 spread on cassette and 14 on front rings. DO NOT set up the chain
length so it only goes around the large chainring and 21 cog. You will
almost certainly rip off your derailleur hanger when you put on the
12-25 cassette and use it.

On 12 Apr 2006 07:46:37 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>anyone know if it would cause any problems to run a 12-25 cassette on
>my training wheelset but a 12-21 on my race wheelset? or would i have
>to mess with the derailleur settings each time i switched? thanks much!

I assume both have the same number of sprockets. If the wheels are
identical except for the sprocket sizes, it should be swap-n-go. Make
sure the chain is sized for the 25. If the wheels are not identical,
the worst you'll face is a cable twiddle when swapping.

I've got a bike that I use when travelling for which I carry two
wheelsets; one with narrow street slicks and one with fat knobby
off-road tires. There's about a one-and-a-half turn difference in the
cable adjustment between the two. YMMV.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

I swap between an 11-23 and a 13-29 without encountering any problems. I set
the chain length so that it's long enough for big-big with the 29. Short
cage Centaur derailleur.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> anyone know if it would cause any problems to run a 12-25 cassette on
> my training wheelset but a 12-21 on my race wheelset? or would i have
> to mess with the derailleur settings each time i switched? thanks much!

<snippage of a whole lotta detail>

The upshot of all these posts is a simple truth: if the range of a
cogset you want to use is contained *within* the range of a cogset your
setup is compatible with, you are good to go without mods.

This assumes the same number of gears.

D'ohBoy

Werehatrack wrote:
> On 12 Apr 2006 07:46:37 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
>
>> anyone know if it would cause any problems to run a 12-25 cassette on
>> my training wheelset but a 12-21 on my race wheelset? or would i
>> have to mess with the derailleur settings each time i switched?
>> thanks much!

> I assume both have the same number of sprockets. If the wheels are
> identical except for the sprocket sizes, it should be swap-n-go. Make
> sure the chain is sized for the 25. If the wheels are not identical,
> the worst you'll face is a cable twiddle when swapping.
>
> I've got a bike that I use when travelling for which I carry two
> wheelsets; one with narrow street slicks and one with fat knobby
> off-road tires. There's about a one-and-a-half turn difference in the
> cable adjustment between the two. YMMV.

You didn't mention adding spacers behind the locknut on the drive side to
the narrower rear wheel to fix the adjustment issue.
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 19:06:22 -0400, "Phil, Squid-in-Training"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Werehatrack wrote:
>> On 12 Apr 2006 07:46:37 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
>>
>>> anyone know if it would cause any problems to run a 12-25 cassette on
>>> my training wheelset but a 12-21 on my race wheelset? or would i
>>> have to mess with the derailleur settings each time i switched?
>>> thanks much!

>> I assume both have the same number of sprockets. If the wheels are
>> identical except for the sprocket sizes, it should be swap-n-go. Make
>> sure the chain is sized for the 25. If the wheels are not identical,
>> the worst you'll face is a cable twiddle when swapping.
>>
>> I've got a bike that I use when travelling for which I carry two
>> wheelsets; one with narrow street slicks and one with fat knobby
>> off-road tires. There's about a one-and-a-half turn difference in the
>> cable adjustment between the two. YMMV.

>You didn't mention adding spacers behind the locknut on the drive side to
>the narrower rear wheel to fix the adjustment issue.

In the case of mine, it would be a pretty thin washer anyway, and
doesn't seem worth the trouble.
--

Werehatrack wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 19:06:22 -0400, "Phil, Squid-in-Training"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Werehatrack wrote:

>>> I assume both have the same number of sprockets. If the wheels are
>>> identical except for the sprocket sizes, it should be swap-n-go.
>>> Make sure the chain is sized for the 25. If the wheels are not
>>> identical, the worst you'll face is a cable twiddle when swapping.
>>>
>>> I've got a bike that I use when travelling for which I carry two
>>> wheelsets; one with narrow street slicks and one with fat knobby
>>> off-road tires. There's about a one-and-a-half turn difference in
>>> the cable adjustment between the two. YMMV.

>> You didn't mention adding spacers behind the locknut on the drive
>> side to the narrower rear wheel to fix the adjustment issue.

> In the case of mine, it would be a pretty thin washer anyway, and
> doesn't seem worth the trouble.

If the adjustment barrel is a .8mm pitch, then the width of the washer would
be 1.2mm, which IMO, isn't insignificant. I'd throw it on upon the next hub
overhaul.
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 21:46:21 -0400, "Phil, Squid-in-Training"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Werehatrack wrote:
>> In the case of mine, it would be a pretty thin washer anyway, and
>> doesn't seem worth the trouble.

>If the adjustment barrel is a .8mm pitch, then the width of the washer would
>be 1.2mm, which IMO, isn't insignificant. I'd throw it on upon the next hub
>overhaul.

Actually, since Shimano rders have a 2:1 ratio, the washer would be
more like 2.5mm, which is enough that it would eat more of the axle
projection beyond the toothed washers than I really want to give up.
I think I'll stay with the turn and a half on the cable adjuster; it's
not enough of a bother to be worth fixing, at least not to me.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.