running up the score

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Tom Schulenburg, Feb 24, 2003.

  1. <BEGIN RANT> I am constantly amazed at the number of people who think that "getting in shape" will
    be enough for Ullrich to challange in the TDF. While it's true that Jan may not have been at his
    best in the two ass whippings Lance gave him, what makes people think that Lance didn't have more
    left in the tank? I'll give Jan credit for attempting to attack the last time they went head to
    head, but we saw how futile that was. If anybody is going to beat Lance in the next two years, it's
    not going to be someone who is content to sit on his wheel each stage and coast into Paris.

    -T

    <END RANT

    Tags:

  2. Amit

    Amit Guest

    "Tom Schulenburg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > <BEGIN RANT> I am constantly amazed at the number of people who think that "getting in shape" will
    > be enough for Ullrich to challange in the TDF. While it's true that Jan may not have been at his
    > best in the two ass whippings Lance gave him, what makes people think that Lance didn't have more
    > left in the tank?

    Jan dropped Armstrong on the Joux-Plane in 2000.

  3. "Amit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Tom Schulenburg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > <BEGIN RANT> I am constantly amazed at the number of people who think that "getting
    in
    > > shape" will be enough for Ullrich to challange in the TDF. While it's
    true
    > > that Jan may not have been at his best in the two ass whippings Lance
    gave
    > > him, what makes people think that Lance didn't have more left in the
    tank?

    > Jan dropped Armstrong on the Joux-Plane in 2000.

    You are correct. But I think this had more to do with Armstrong failing to properly hydrate / eat
    during the race, than a head to head match with both of them at there best. Jan still finished more
    than 6 minutes back in the race. In any case, I think Lance learned from that and takes a much more
    cautious, if not "boring" aproach to the mountain stages. I would be curious to see how Lance would
    perform if he was forced to attack in the last mountain stages, rather than defend. I'm sure Lance
    plans on winning the stage to L'Alpe d'Huez, but a big loss here could cause some panic.

    -T

  4. "ArtS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > On Tue, 25 Feb 2003 17:08:28 +0000, Amit wrote:
    >
    > > "Tom Schulenburg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > >> <BEGIN RANT> I am constantly amazed at the number of people who think that "getting
    in
    > >> shape" will be enough for Ullrich to challange in the TDF. While it's
    true
    > >> that Jan may not have been at his best in the two ass whippings Lance
    gave
    > >> him, what makes people think that Lance didn't have more left in the
    tank?

    > > Jan dropped Armstrong on the Joux-Plane in 2000.
    >
    > And Zulle dropped him in the last mountain top finish in 1999. When Armstrong is on he is soooo
    > much faster than everyone else. Seemed odd to see him struggle just a few days later both years,
    > 99 and 00.

    I'd hardly call picking up 9 seconds (Stage 15?) when you're down by more than 7 minutes
    "Dropping" someone.

    -T