Running

G

I realize that many members of this site are primarily cyclists. But I was wondering what benefits, if any, there were as far as running being a good cross-trainer for cycling. I usually do a couple 5 and 8k roadraces each spring/summer just for the challenge. My training right now involves 3-4 days of cycling (generally 30-60 miles per) and 2 days of running (3-5 miles each. I sometimes do a 30 minute workout on the versaclimber as a substitute for one of the runs. I started cycling late last summer as a result of a foot injury from running. I used my trainer all winter and hit the road again at the beginning of April. I don't intend on racing this year, maybe a couple of 50-75 mile tours, perhaps a century by summer's end. I guess I was just curious as to how I can become a better overall cyclist. I know the patented reply is "It depends on what you're training for", but if anybody has any training tips, words of wisdom, etc. I would appreciate it.

Sounds like your half way to being a good cyclist as your running must have made you pretty fit! Because of training specificity your training is geared towards propelling you forwards when you run and now you need to gear it towards propelling you on a bike!

Take your fitness and develope your technique. Many cyclists take technique for granted as this developes as their fitness developes, but you already have fitness. The technique that is particularly important is pedalling technique, you need to learn how to pound those pedals as hard as you pound the road!

So how do you do this:
1. High cadence training - pedaling on rollers, down hills in low gears or with the wind behind you. Runners call this overspeed training. It improves your co-ordination which allows you to exert more pressure on the pedals and become more efficent.
2. Over gear training - accelerations in big gears. This is where you teach your brain to recruit your muscles in a pattern and fashion that exerts the maximum force on the pedals at all cadences.

To get the most out of these sessions you need to be well rested, remember you are developing neuromuscularly. With improvements in technique you will be able to apply your running fitness more efficently to cycling and therefore improve.