ruptured achilles tendon

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by s....Six, Sep 17, 2004.

  1. s....Six

    s....Six Guest

    Hi All,
    Had a accident while playing badminton the other
    night and ruptured my achilles tendon,consultant
    said i am looking at 10 months before i could resume
    exercise,i wonder if anybody in this news group
    could tell me if its possible to recover fully from
    a total rupture of my achilles and will i be able
    to ride my bike again,been told i'll never be the
    same again,i am gutted.

    Thanks in advance.

    Tags:

  2. "s....Six" <[email protected]>typed

    > Hi All,
    > Had a accident while playing badminton the other
    > night and ruptured my achilles tendon,consultant
    > said i am looking at 10 months before i could resume
    > exercise,i wonder if anybody in this news group
    > could tell me if its possible to recover fully from
    > a total rupture of my achilles and will i be able
    > to ride my bike again,been told i'll never be the
    > same again,i am gutted.

    > Thanks in advance.

    I can't say I blame you for being gutted. People do make full recoveries
    but it can be a long time.

    I don't think bike riding should be a problem as the stresses on the
    achilles tendon are much less than in those sports that entail running
    and jumping. You can probably ride GENTLY as soon as you're out of
    plaster and off crutches.

    I rode hundreds of miles with achilles tendinitis (different, I know) by
    keeping my ankle fairly immobile.

    --
    Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
    Edgware.

  3. s....Six

    s....Six Guest

    "Helen Deborah Vecht" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "s....Six" <[email protected]>typed
    >

    > > Hi All,
    > > Had a accident while playing badminton the other
    > > night and ruptured my achilles tendon,consultant
    > > said i am looking at 10 months before i could resume
    > > exercise,i wonder if anybody in this news group
    > > could tell me if its possible to recover fully from
    > > a total rupture of my achilles and will i be able
    > > to ride my bike again,been told i'll never be the
    > > same again,i am gutted.

    > > Thanks in advance.

    > I can't say I blame you for being gutted. People do make full recoveries
    > but it can be a long time.
    >
    > I don't think bike riding should be a problem as the stresses on the
    > achilles tendon are much less than in those sports that entail running
    > and jumping. You can probably ride GENTLY as soon as you're out of
    > plaster and off crutches.
    >
    > I rode hundreds of miles with achilles tendinitis (different, I know) by
    > keeping my ankle fairly immobile.
    >
    > --
    > Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
    > Edgware.

    The irony is i was only implementing badminton to stay
    fit for cycling next year,i should have took it gently as this
    was my second game after 11 yrs or so since i last played
    having played it quite competitively when i was young,
    many thanks for your encouraging words helen.

  4. BrianW

    BrianW Guest

    s....Six wrote:
    > Hi All,
    > Had a accident while playing badminton the other
    > night and ruptured my achilles tendon,consultant
    > said i am looking at 10 months before i could resume
    > exercise,i wonder if anybody in this news group
    > could tell me if its possible to recover fully from
    > a total rupture of my achilles and will i be able
    > to ride my bike again,been told i'll never be the
    > same again,i am gutted.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Happened to Lucas Radebe of Leeds United. They reckon his playing days are
    over. Hope you fare better than that.

    http://www.news24.com/News24/Sport/Soccer/0,,2-9-840_1573150,00.html

    Brian

  5. elyob

    elyob Guest

    "s....Six" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:OHH2d.1207$U%[email protected]
    > Hi All,
    > Had a accident while playing badminton the other
    > night and ruptured my achilles tendon,consultant
    > said i am looking at 10 months before i could resume
    > exercise,i wonder if anybody in this news group
    > could tell me if its possible to recover fully from
    > a total rupture of my achilles and will i be able
    > to ride my bike again,been told i'll never be the
    > same again,i am gutted.

    Good luck, but maybe taking up swimming is a better bet for a while?

  6. Frank Murphy

    Frank Murphy Guest

    "s....Six" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<OHH2d.1207$U%[email protected]>...
    > Hi All,
    > Had a accident while playing badminton the other
    > night and ruptured my achilles tendon,consultant
    > said i am looking at 10 months before i could resume
    > exercise,i wonder if anybody in this news group
    > could tell me if its possible to recover fully from
    > a total rupture of my achilles and will i be able
    > to ride my bike again,been told i'll never be the
    > same again,i am gutted.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Andy:
    It is definitely possible to fully recover from an Achilles tendon
    rupture. Last year Courney Kupets ruptured her Achilles tendon and
    last month she won a gold medal in women's gymnastics. See the In The
    News section of www.AchillesTendon.com.
    You can recover too!
    Murph