rural amusement

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by asterope, Oct 8, 2006.

  1. asterope

    asterope New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2006
    just thought i would share an amusing anecdote from my weekend past.

    sent my sister up the coast to our parents place in nambour/burnside last weekend with all my textbooks/photography stuff (the heavy shit) in the car so i could have a pleasant saturday riding from work to the train, then get to nambour station and ride to parents place, around 7pm.

    the main street of nambour is 2 lanes, i was lit up like a christmas tree, and almost at the end of the long but steady hill to get to right turn at the lights near the KFC... this white van has been sitting inches away from my rear wheel since i changed into the rightmost lane, not bothering to move into the left lane which is empty and go around me.

    just at the top of the hill, van moves into the left lane, and a rather obese man smoking a cigarette with big fat wife next to him doing the same pokes his big fat head out of the window, his multiple chins wobbling and offers me some sterling advice:

    "great way to get yourself killed, love."

    i almost fell off my bike i was laughing so hard.

    Tags:

  2. Bean Long

    Bean Long Guest

    asterope wrote:

    <snip>

    > just at the top of the hill, van moves into the left lane, and a rather
    > obese man smoking a cigarette with big fat wife next to him doing the
    > same pokes his big fat head out of the window, his multiple chins
    > wobbling and offers me some sterling advice:
    >
    > "great way to get yourself killed, love."

    Aah! Good one that. My weekend highlight was a huge guy (well over the
    120 kg mark) on a bike near Bonython. He seemed to be hootin' along but
    I couldn't quite work out what was going on 'cos he wasn't pedalling!
    Once I'd caught up to him I realised he had a little electric motor on
    the rear wheel doing the work. While I give him 10 points for getting
    on the bike, he loses a couple for woosing out with the motor.

    --
    Bean

    Remove "yourfinger" before replying

  3. In aus.bicycle on Mon, 9 Oct 2006 13:53:35 +1000
    asterope <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "great way to get yourself killed, love."
    >
    > i almost fell off my bike i was laughing so hard.

    I had a bod on a Vespa tell me I ought to get a flag cos I was "so
    hard to see".

    If he can't see something 2 foot wide, a foot longer than most
    bicycles, and where the rider's seat is as high as a car seat then I
    think the RTA's eyesight test needs work.

    Coming from a motorcyclist it was especially funny. For some reason I
    didn't say "sure, when you get one, don't you know motorcycles are
    hard to see?"

    Zebee

  4. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    Zebee Johnstone wrote:

    > In aus.bicycle on Mon, 9 Oct 2006 13:53:35 +1000
    > asterope <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > "great way to get yourself killed, love."
    > >
    > > i almost fell off my bike i was laughing so hard.

    > I had a bod on a Vespa tell me I ought to get a flag cos I was "so
    > hard to see".
    >
    > If he can't see something 2 foot wide, a foot longer than most
    > bicycles, and where the rider's seat is as high as a car seat then I
    > think the RTA's eyesight test needs work.
    >
    > Coming from a motorcyclist it was especially funny. For some reason I
    > didn't say "sure, when you get one, don't you know motorcycles are
    > hard to see?"
    >
    > Zebee

    *gasp* no flag? Zebee, I'm shocked! don't tell me - oh my
    god you probably don't even have facial hair!

    ;-)

    Tam

  5. asterope wrote:
    > just thought i would share an amusing anecdote from my weekend past.
    >
    > sent my sister up the coast to our parents place in nambour/burnside
    > last weekend with all my textbooks/photography stuff (the heavy shit)
    > in the car so i could have a pleasant saturday riding from work to the
    > train, then get to nambour station and ride to parents place, around
    > 7pm.
    >
    > the main street of nambour is 2 lanes, i was lit up like a christmas
    > tree, and almost at the end of the long but steady hill to get to right
    > turn at the lights near the KFC... this white van has been sitting
    > inches away from my rear wheel since i changed into the rightmost lane,
    > not bothering to move into the left lane which is empty and go around
    > me.
    >
    > just at the top of the hill, van moves into the left lane, and a rather
    > obese man smoking a cigarette with big fat wife next to him doing the
    > same pokes his big fat head out of the window, his multiple chins
    > wobbling and offers me some sterling advice:
    >
    > "great way to get yourself killed, love."
    >
    > i almost fell off my bike i was laughing so hard.

    Ah, they are simple folk up at Nambour. I used to work at 4SS, and used to ride
    my bike out to Bli Bli via the scenic routes. Some good hills round there :)

    You missed a nice LA ride this morning took, Asterope. You were missed.

    --
    Karen

    If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.'
    Catherine Aird

  6. Duncan

    Duncan Guest

    "Zebee Johnstone" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In aus.bicycle on Mon, 9 Oct 2006 13:53:35 +1000
    > asterope <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > "great way to get yourself killed, love."
    > >
    > > i almost fell off my bike i was laughing so hard.

    > I had a bod on a Vespa tell me I ought to get a flag cos I was "so
    > hard to see".

    He's got a point. I mainly lurk here but when you were deciding on a bike I
    almost piped up to talk you out of a recumbent. For a lot of drivers
    they're practicaly invisible, they're less manouverable and wider so more
    likely to be clipped. A flag doesn't cut it, a burning flare might be a
    better option.

    > If he can't see something 2 foot wide, a foot longer than most
    > bicycles, and where the rider's seat is as high as a car seat then I
    > think the RTA's eyesight test needs work.

    As you yourself have pointed out it's not about eyesight, it's about
    processing what you see. People just aren't looking for recumbents so they
    won't see them. I've seen recumbents so low they don't make it up to a cars
    window, on top of that they keep getting stuck lane splitting. A driver
    could do everything right and still hit them.

    Maybe it sounds just like car drivers talking about uprights but you have to
    draw the line somewhere.

  7. asterope

    asterope New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2006
    tis true, some folk around there are pretty simple, but damn... they have some amazing scenery and kick-arse MTB tracks :D :D :D now that you have a mtb karen, we should all go up there sometime

    im pretty peeved i didnt make the LA ride this morning either, was quite looking forward to it. I still hadnt slept when i sent lotte the txt msg... my calculations were out by a factor of 200 or so, didnt know why! needless to say i was feeling rather sleepy for my prac exam in the morning (but still kicked bum) and kinda went home and slept afterwards. *very norty*

    i would say i'll join you next monday, but its the day after the brissy-goldie ride, which i will try to do return, and i daresay i will probably be sore. ;)
    it will be just like riding to nambour and back, only less hilly and with less obese chimneys on the road, and more bikes.

  8. scotty72

    scotty72 New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2005
    When reading this I was going to write ---

    leave the guy alone; sure, he's big but he's trying (I've been - still am there).

    Then I read the bit with the motor....

    <sigh>

    Let's hope this is his first step and he eventually loses the motor.

    Scotty

  9. BrettS

    BrettS Guest

    Duncan wrote:
    > "Zebee Johnstone" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>In aus.bicycle on Mon, 9 Oct 2006 13:53:35 +1000
    >>asterope <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>>"great way to get yourself killed, love."
    >>>
    >>>i almost fell off my bike i was laughing so hard.

    >>I had a bod on a Vespa tell me I ought to get a flag cos I was "so
    >>hard to see".

    > He's got a point. I mainly lurk here but when you were deciding on a bike I
    > almost piped up to talk you out of a recumbent. For a lot of drivers
    > they're practicaly invisible, they're less manouverable and wider so more
    > likely to be clipped. A flag doesn't cut it, a burning flare might be a
    > better option.
    >

    >>If he can't see something 2 foot wide, a foot longer than most
    >>bicycles, and where the rider's seat is as high as a car seat then I
    >>think the RTA's eyesight test needs work.

    > As you yourself have pointed out it's not about eyesight, it's about
    > processing what you see. People just aren't looking for recumbents so they
    > won't see them. I've seen recumbents so low they don't make it up to a cars
    > window, on top of that they keep getting stuck lane splitting. A driver
    > could do everything right and still hit them.

    Well I would suggest that the driver wouldn't have done *everything*
    right then. Especially as you just pointed out - you can see them.

    How is a recumbent (even a low one like your talking about) different
    from other similar sized objects likely to be found on the roads such as:
    * Children?
    * Domestic animals?
    * Wheelie bins?

    Saying that someone is putting themselves in greater danger because they
    ride a bike which is deemed too small/narrow to be seen properly is a
    cop out. The SMIDSY phenomenon is alive and well putside of cycling
    circles. You only have to see the number of people who drive into the
    back of other cars, busses and trucks to know that size doesn't make a
    scrap of difference.

    Cheers,

    --
    BrettS

  10. In aus.bicycle on Mon, 9 Oct 2006 23:10:55 +1000
    Duncan <[email protected]> wrote:

    > He's got a point. I mainly lurk here but when you were deciding on a bike I
    > almost piped up to talk you out of a recumbent. For a lot of drivers
    > they're practicaly invisible, they're less manouverable and wider so more
    > likely to be clipped. A flag doesn't cut it, a burning flare might be a
    > better option.

    And this is different to upright bicycles in what way?

    I note that so far the only person who seems to have had a problem
    seeing me was that motorcyclist.

    As car drivers regularly say "didn't see you" to motorcycles they've
    just hit, for a motorcyclist to use the same excuse is hilarious.

    For a cyclist to buy into the same idea is equally hilarious.

    It's been my experience that people process the bent just fine. If I
    ride with my brain in gear, act predictably, and don't put myself in
    silly positions.

    Which is what everyone on the road's supposed to do, eh?

    Zebee

  11. Donga

    Donga Guest

    BrettS wrote:
    > How is a recumbent <snip> different
    > from <snip>
    > * Wheelie bins?

    Did you really ask that?

    Donga (having sport with snipping)

  12. Donga

    Donga Guest

    Duracell Bunny wrote:
    > You missed a nice LA ride this morning took, Asterope. You were missed.

    DB what's the LardArse schedule these days? Clearly you've shifted from
    Friday to Monday? When and where? Never know I might make it along
    sometime.

    Donga

  13. asterope

    asterope New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2006
    awwwh... come on donga... you can race wheelie bins too you know :p

  14. Terryc

    Terryc Guest

    scotty72 wrote:

    > leave the guy alone; sure, he's big but he's trying (I've been - still
    > am there).
    >
    > Then I read the bit with the motor....
    >
    > <sigh>
    >
    > Let's hope this is his first step and he eventually loses the motor.

    Naah, lets hope he actually starts pedalling. There are a lot of people
    that could use this technology for mobility and the more it is seen, the
    better.

    I always thought these motors were assistance only and not strong enough
    to actually hoot you along with out pedalling.

    If he is seen again, try to find out what system/gearing/other specs
    please and how long he has had it.

    I need to play wth something similar for hill boosting for a cargo trike
    I am planning.

  15. Donga

    Donga Guest

    asterope wrote:
    > Donga Wrote:
    > > BrettS wrote:
    > > > How is a recumbent <snip> different
    > > > from <snip>
    > > > * Wheelie bins?

    > > Did you really ask that?
    > >
    > > Donga (having sport with snipping)

    > awwwh... come on donga... you can race wheelie bins too you know :p

    Never been beaten yet!

  16. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    *Cue dueling banjos*

    Bwhahahaha, I could tell a familar story from the Deep South, although people tell me Lachlan has changed sinced the '80's. :D

  17. BrettS

    BrettS Guest

    Donga wrote:
    > BrettS wrote:
    >
    >>How is a recumbent <snip> different
    >>from <snip>
    >> * Wheelie bins?

    > Did you really ask that?

    Well, it looks like I did! ;-)

    --
    BrettS

  18. In aus.bicycle on Tue, 10 Oct 2006 10:17:39 +1000
    asterope <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Donga Wrote:
    >> BrettS wrote:
    >> > How is a recumbent <snip> different
    >> > from <snip>
    >> > * Wheelie bins?

    >> Did you really ask that?
    >>
    >> Donga (having sport with snipping)

    > awwwh... come on donga... you can race wheelie bins too you know :p

    Yeah but only in the fixie category.

    Zebee

  19. In aus.bicycle on 9 Oct 2006 18:18:42 -0700
    Donga <[email protected]> wrote:

    > asterope wrote:
    >> Donga Wrote:
    >> >
    >> > Did you really ask that?
    >> >
    >> > Donga (having sport with snipping)

    >> awwwh... come on donga... you can race wheelie bins too you know :p

    > Never been beaten yet!

    But some of those wheelie bins came awful close....

    Zebee

  20. Duncan

    Duncan Guest

    "Zebee Johnstone" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In aus.bicycle on Mon, 9 Oct 2006 23:10:55 +1000
    > Duncan <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > He's got a point. I mainly lurk here but when you were deciding on a

    bike I
    > > almost piped up to talk you out of a recumbent. For a lot of drivers
    > > they're practicaly invisible, they're less manouverable and wider so

    more
    > > likely to be clipped. A flag doesn't cut it, a burning flare might be a
    > > better option.

    > And this is different to upright bicycles in what way?

    An upright is a lot taller and is wide at the level of a drivers eyes.

    > I note that so far the only person who seems to have had a problem
    > seeing me was that motorcyclist.

    Not everybody is going to be vocal about it.

    > As car drivers regularly say "didn't see you" to motorcycles they've
    > just hit, for a motorcyclist to use the same excuse is hilarious.
    >
    > For a cyclist to buy into the same idea is equally hilarious.

    In the rare case I mentioned where a bike is 100% obscured it may be a valid
    excuse. I didn't mean to suggest that otherwise it was a valid excuse at
    all.

    > It's been my experience that people process the bent just fine. If I
    > ride with my brain in gear, act predictably, and don't put myself in
    > silly positions.

    It's not a risk I'd personaly be prepared to take on a regular basis and I'm
    not known for living a risk free life..

    > Which is what everyone on the road's supposed to do, eh?

    What people are supposed to do is irrelevant when your saftey is on the
    line. It doesn't take too many experiences to realise that a significant
    portion of drivers are not paying enough attention. By decreasing your
    visibility you're dramaticaly increasing the number of people who aren't
    paying enough attention to see you.