Rush hour clogs trail as drivers saddle up

eddiec

Feb 16, 2004
Some interesting news from Canada that I stumbled across today:

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/LondonFreePress/Today/2005/09/05/1202630-sun.html

Even before gas prices took a flying leap skyward, London bike stores were seeing more shoppers than usual.

"We've had some people come and look because of the price of gas," says Reynold Vanherpe, owner of Reynolds Cycle. "People really start looking when it gets above $1. When it's 97 cents, they're OK."

At To Wheels, manager Josh Chadwick says, "We're seeing a bit of a blip (in sales)."

He says bike stores normally experience a boost in sales in September as students go back to school. But this year, it's a bigger than before.

Many are leaning toward hybrid bikes, which take the comfort and durability of mountain bikes and the speed of racing bikes "and kind of squish them into one bike," Chadwick says.

What's happening in Victoria -- which bills itself as Canada's biking capital -- may be a sign of what's to come for other cities.

Lee Orphan, president of the London Centennial Wheelers bike club, visited the British Columbia capital in August and was astounded by the number of cyclists.

"Everyone rides bikes there," he says, attributing it to a milder climate and a population that is focused on fitness.

Things are suddenly getting big-city tense there -- at least on the Galloping Goose bicycle trail in Victoria.

"There haven't been fisticuffs that I know of, yet," says John Luton, head of the Capital Bike and Walk Society. "But there's the equivalent of road rage out there on the trail."

What's fuelling this mini-crisis in Canada's bucolic biking capital is the rising price of gasoline. Victoria generally has some of the highest prices in the country.

With as many as 5,000 people a day cramming onto the three-metre wide, 60-kilometre path, there's now a bicycle rush hour.

"Check your dog," shouts Luton, encountering a woman who let her retractable leash extend across the path he was whirring down on his way to work.

"Check your bike!" she fires back, giving no ground.

It isn't exactly life on the bike paths of Beijing, the world's biking capital. But the Galloping Goose, so named for a rail car that once trundled along this route years ago, is now seeing daily run-ins between pensioners on electric scooters, horseback riders, dog walkers, inline skaters and serious commuters, described by one cyclist as "riding like Lance Armstrong on crack."

Canadians everywhere can expect to see more of such confrontations, cycling advocates predict, as the price of gasoline continues to climb.

Orphan said he hasn't heard of road rage among weekday bike commuters on London bike paths, but says, "On weekends, it can be a bit busy."

He said a new bicycle master plan for London calls for bike lanes on main roads to keep cyclists separate from pedestrians and cars.

"It's the different speed," he says. "Cyclists are scared of cars going twice as fast and pedestrians are scared of bicycles."

While building bike paths isn't nearly as in vogue with cash-strapped governments as it was in the 1970s, predictions are the number of Canadians using trails will climb across Canada.

"You can figure that every 30-per-cent increase in the cost of something translates into a 10-per-cent change in behaviour," estimates Larry Roberts, a planner with Victoria's regional district. "So there will probably be more people on the bike paths."

Todd Litman, an economist who heads the Transport Policy Institute, says rush hour on the Galloping Goose is a good sign. It shows well-planned bike lanes can convince large numbers of people to leave the automobile behind.

About six per cent of Victoria's commuters go to work on two wheels. That's about three times the rate of Vancouver and Toronto.

The trail traffic has some calling for the Galloping Goose to be expanded to four lanes. So far, Victoria's planners aren't biting.

But they must, warns Luton, who foresees a nightmare for pensioners going along Victoria's favourite bike lane on their scooters.

"Wait until these electric bikes and Segways (human transporters) start showing up on the trail," he says. "They're fast and they're all going to be crashing into each other. It won't be pretty."

Yerrrss. when this summer's number bloat in Oz,
i think there should be prefeence given to 'veteran' commuters
who did winter and lived to tell their grandkids :rolleyes:

flyingdutch said:
Yerrrss. when this summer's number bloat in Oz,
i think there should be prefeence given to 'veteran' commuters
who did winter and lived to tell their grandkids :rolleyes:

I think this week marked the start of it - combination of fair-weather commuters (panniers, bike that's just *too* clean, no lights ;) ) plus the influx of 'petrol-price' commuters (old bike dusted off out of the shed, shoddy riding skills, weak looking :D )

eddiec said:
I think this week marked the start of it - combination of fair-weather commuters (panniers, bike that's just *too* clean, no lights ;) ) plus the influx of 'petrol-price' commuters (old bike dusted off out of the shed, shoddy riding skills, weak looking :D )

Got to start somewhere, my first couple of years commuting I had a couple of months off (mostly for darkness). I did put the restart date in my calendar which was a good way to make sure that I got going again.

And a question? there was a stat somewhere that suggest that there were more bicycle trips than trams in melbourne on a give day, anyone remember
the reference?

In answer to my own question, I think it was this study, not sure it says what I thought it said.
http://www.virtualbike.com.au/PDFs/Full_Brochure_V8_97_99.pdf

PiledHigher

On 2005-09-06, eddiec <[email protected]> wrote:
> I think this week marked the start of it - combination of fair-weather
> commuters (panniers,

*ahem*

I am very fond of my Ortliebs, thank you very much.

--
My Usenet From: address now expires after two weeks. If you email me, and
the mail bounces, try changing the bit before the "@" to "usenet".

PiledHigher said:
Got to start somewhere, my first couple of years commuting I had a couple of months off (mostly for darkness). I did put the restart date in my calendar which was a good way to make sure that I got going again.

And a question? there was a stat somewhere that suggest that there were more bicycle trips than trams in melbourne on a give day, anyone remember
the reference?

In answer to my own question, I think it was this study, not sure it says what I thought it said.
http://www.virtualbike.com.au/PDFs/Full_Brochure_V8_97_99.pdf

PiledHigher

Don't get me wrong - the more cyclists i see the happier, and I'm always thrilled to meet a new one and share the road/path/whatever with them. Guess I just have to supress the little lone-ranger voice in my head that says "They're my trails dammit, mine!!"

Having just watched the video from Copenhagen (via BV's website) I must admit we've got a long way to go til we reach the congested bike path situation that they've got (not to mention parking!) - Not sure how I'll feel about all these 'young'un' cyclists then!
:eek:

On 2005-09-06, eddiec <[email protected]> wrote:
> Having just watched the video from Copenhagen (via BV's website) I must
> admit we've got a long way to go til we reach the congested bike path
> situation that they've got (not to mention parking!) - Not sure how
> I'll feel about all these 'young'un' cyclists then!
>:eek:

If we ever reach the point where our bike paths are congested, we'll be
at the point where we can take over the roads, and the drivers will have
no alternative but to suck it up. At that point, the odds are good that
the motorists will say, "If you can't beat 'em, join em," and we'll see
a massive upswing in cyclist numbers.

Hey, I can dream, right?

--
My Usenet From: address now expires after two weeks. If you email me, and
the mail bounces, try changing the bit before the "@" to "usenet".

eddiec said:

"Future Traffic Report"

.....there's sun glare on Gardiners Creek Bridge..heavy going on the Royal Parade service lanes....bottleneck at Gipps Street Steps...

>>>>> "eddiec" == eddiec <[email protected]> writes:

eddiec> flyingdutch Wrote:

FD> Yerrrss. when this summer's number bloat in Oz, i think there
FD> should be prefeence given to 'veteran' commuters who did winter
FD> and lived to tell their grandkids :rolleyes:

eddiec> I think this week marked the start of it - combination of
eddiec> fair-weather commuters (panniers, bike that's just *too*
eddiec> clean, no lights ;) ) plus the influx of 'petrol-price'
eddiec> commuters (old bike dusted off out of the shed, shoddy
eddiec> riding skills, weak looking :D )

It's rare I ride my bike *without* panniers. Maybe twenty rides in two
and a half years?

You should see the **** that hits them in the wet, not nice.
--
Cheers | ~~ __@
Euan | ~~ _-\<,
Melbourne, Australia | ~ (*)/ (*)

"eddiec" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
> flyingdutch Wrote:
>> Yerrrss. when this summer's number bloat in Oz,
>> i think there should be prefeence given to 'veteran' commuters
>> who did winter and lived to tell their grandkids :rolleyes:

>
> I think this week marked the start of it - combination of fair-weather
> commuters (panniers, bike that's just *too* clean, no lights ;) )
> plus the influx of 'petrol-price' commuters (old bike dusted off out of
> the shed, shoddy riding skills, weak looking :D )
>
>
> --
> eddiec
>

Heh...thumped past a few of those today. On the fixie. In jeans and jumper.
And a backpack. All good fun :)

Euan Wrote

It's rare I ride my bike *without* panniers. Maybe twenty rides in two
and a half years?
I am a pannier man as well. Two panniers on Monday and Friday and one for the rest of the week. The extra pannier is for the laptop.

Extra riders are not the only thing out in force, magpies as well. Normally they just swoop but one actually hit the helmet today.

I could not understand why but then I realised that I took the flashing red light off the back of the helmet. That must stop them from getting to close, it's back on for tomorrows ride to work.