Russ Pinder - a visitor's view

Peter Wallace

Guest
Russ must be feeling better. He's started to let the odd visitor in - by appointment only - and my
name came up as I am unquestionably odd.

It's exactly as we all hoped and expected - pretty positive. He's analysed the situation, evaluated
the options, decided on a course of action and put that in hand. It involves lots of carbon fibre,
titanium and a Porsche.

Still a bit beaten up from operations and drugs (good ones from the sound of
it) he calmly said, "I'm not ill, just incapacitated" and proceeded to cross-examine me on who is
out riding and where.

The vulnerability of his current commanding lead in the Fat Tyre series is a worry to him. Plans to
sabotage his competitors remaining events are classified. However his status as only the second ever
MTB patient in Stoke Mandeville gives him some satisfaction.

The rides he planed for the summer are on his mind and nobody gets a get-out. We are required to
report in. GPS tracks will be scrutinised, criticised, assessed and marked. Certainly he wants to
know about what 's going on and he still wants to tell you what, where and how to ride - generally
wisely. One part is a strong recommendation for bolt-through axles or at least bolts rather than QR
when using discs. Generally he insists on being involved in everything.

On the practical front he's got insurance covering everything conceivable (except the Porsche -
apparently they'll do a Ford Focus but Russ can make up the difference). He just needs a little time
- I suspect less than the hospital have in mind.

Go Russ.

"Peter Wallace" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
| Russ must be feeling better. He's started to let the odd visitor in - by appointment only - and my
| name came up as I am unquestionably odd.
|
| It's exactly as we all hoped and expected - pretty positive. He's analysed the situation,
| evaluated the options, decided on a course of action and put that in hand. It involves lots of
| carbon fibre, titanium and a Porsche.
|
| Still a bit beaten up from operations and drugs (good ones from the sound of
| it) he calmly said, "I'm not ill, just incapacitated" and proceeded to cross-examine me on who is
| out riding and where.
|
| The vulnerability of his current commanding lead in the Fat Tyre series is a worry to him. Plans
| to sabotage his competitors remaining events are classified. However his status as only the second
| ever MTB patient in Stoke Mandeville gives him some satisfaction.
|
| The rides he planed for the summer are on his mind and nobody gets a get-out. We are required to
| report in. GPS tracks will be scrutinised, criticised, assessed and marked. Certainly he wants to
| know about what 's going on and he still wants to tell you what, where and how to ride - generally
| wisely. One part is a strong recommendation for bolt-through axles or at least bolts rather than
| QR when using discs. Generally he insists on being involved in everything.
|
| On the practical front he's got insurance covering everything conceivable (except the Porsche -
| apparently they'll do a Ford Focus but Russ can make up the difference). He just needs a little
| time - I suspect less than the hospital have in mind.
|
| Go Russ.

I dont really know the guy but having come so damn close to being paralysed myself it brings tears
to my eyes reading about him. He is showing true strength and courage.

Simon....anything I can do to help just ask.

good attitude and good luck

news:[email protected]...