Russ Pinder - what next?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Peter Wallace, Apr 24, 2003.

  1. "I had a bit of a bad week last week but I'm OK now" - Russ.

    What he actually meant was he got some very nasty hospital infection that made him extremely ill
    (because he's not ill, just incapacitated), put him in solitary confinement, no food, and stopped
    progress on the wheelchair project. Anyway he's largely recovered from that, back on the programme
    and welcoming visitors (not all at once please) so I popped in to see him last night.

    It's been 5 weeks since Russ broke his back. I can't begin to imagine what he's been through in that
    time but he's still being full-on Russ Pinder - a good act anyway and especially so now.

    A few things were discussed (after I had been thoroughly debriefed on my Easter riding in the Lakes,
    errors pointed out and directions for improvements issued).

    It is clear that the reason for his stack was a loose front wheel and Russ is considering his
    options in relation to the disc/drop-out design issues that have been much discussed recently. Any
    information on similar experiences might be helpful.

    There's "Russ Appeal". Quite a few people want to show support by fundraising. Russ is very happy to
    be involved in this (but isn't yet signed up for off-road wheelchair marathons) and wants it all to
    go to the Air Ambulance people http://www.naaas.co.uk/ They are the safety net for all of us. To
    this end there is now an e-mail list that will have all the discussion, chit-chat, good ideas,
    stupid ideas and abuse. Just subscribe and filter it all to your new Russ Appeal folder and we will
    see what happens. Marc Davison and Mike Faxholm tell me that this link will take you there. If it
    doesn't blame them not me.

    Send a mail to: [email protected] (which seems to be really slow)

    up there. It will prompt you to log into your yahoo account first, or sign up if you don't have one.

    Being fed up with hospital Russ is now thinking about home and making it wheelchair friendly. He's a
    Building Contractor and Engineer, I'm an Architect, so there was no common ground in that
    conversation.

    Watch out for the Russ Appeal web site. Marc and I are meeting in a pub next week to get that one
    going. It may not produce much but seemed an adequate excuse for a beer. Wed evening, anybody else?

    And this is from me. Russ is one of the good guys and one of our own. He didn't deserve this. I know
    we are all thinking of him but let Russ know that

    [email protected]

    and

    Russ Pinder St Georges Ward Stoke Mandeville Spinal Injuries Unit Stoke Mandeville Hospital
    Mandeville Road Aylesbury Bucks HP21 8AL

    It seems the cards and e-mails help. Keep them coming... and visit.

    Go Russ

    Peter

    Tags:

  2. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Peter Wallace <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "I had a bit of a bad week last week but I'm OK now" - Russ.
    >
    > What he actually meant was he got some very nasty hospital infection that made him extremely ill
    > (because he's not ill, just incapacitated), put him in solitary confinement, no food, and stopped
    > progress on the wheelchair project. Anyway he's largely recovered from that, back on the programme
    > and welcoming visitors (not all at once please) so I popped in to see him last night.

    Oh shit. He's a tough bugger, ain't he!

    > Go Russ
    >
    > Peter

    Thanks again for keeping us up to date Pete.

    Shaun.

  3. Dave W

    Dave W Guest

    On Thu, 24 Apr 2003 10:59:27 +0000 (UTC), "Peter Wallace" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"I had a bit of a bad week last week but I'm OK now" - Russ.
    >
    >What he actually meant was he got some very nasty hospital infection that made him extremely ill
    >(because he's not ill, just incapacitated), put him in solitary confinement, no food, and stopped
    >progress on the wheelchair project. Anyway he's largely recovered from that, back on the programme
    >and welcoming visitors (not all at once please) so I popped in to see him last night.
    >
    >It's been 5 weeks since Russ broke his back. I can't begin to imagine what he's been through in
    >that time but he's still being full-on Russ Pinder - a good act anyway and especially so now.
    >
    >A few things were discussed (after I had been thoroughly debriefed on my Easter riding in the
    >Lakes, errors pointed out and directions for improvements issued).
    >
    >It is clear that the reason for his stack was a loose front wheel and Russ is considering his
    >options in relation to the disc/drop-out design issues that have been much discussed recently. Any
    >information on similar experiences might be helpful.
    >
    >There's "Russ Appeal". Quite a few people want to show support by fundraising. Russ is very happy
    >to be involved in this (but isn't yet signed up for off-road wheelchair marathons) and wants it all
    >to go to the Air Ambulance people http://www.naaas.co.uk/ They are the safety net for all of us. To
    >this end there is now an e-mail list that will have all the discussion, chit-chat, good ideas,
    >stupid ideas and abuse. Just subscribe and filter it all to your new Russ Appeal folder and we will
    >see what happens. Marc Davison and Mike Faxholm tell me that this link will take you there. If it
    >doesn't blame them not me.
    >
    >Send a mail to: [email protected] (which seems to be really slow)

    >sign up there. It will prompt you to log into your yahoo account first, or sign up if you don't
    >have one.
    >

    >Being fed up with hospital Russ is now thinking about home and making it wheelchair friendly. He's
    >a Building Contractor and Engineer, I'm an Architect, so there was no common ground in that
    >conversation.
    >
    >Watch out for the Russ Appeal web site. Marc and I are meeting in a pub next week to get that one
    >going. It may not produce much but seemed an adequate excuse for a beer. Wed evening, anybody else?
    >
    >And this is from me. Russ is one of the good guys and one of our own. He didn't deserve this. I
    >know we are all thinking of him but let Russ know that
    >
    >[email protected]
    >
    >and
    >
    >Russ Pinder St Georges Ward Stoke Mandeville Spinal Injuries Unit Stoke Mandeville Hospital
    >Mandeville Road Aylesbury Bucks HP21 8AL
    >
    >It seems the cards and e-mails help. Keep them coming... and visit.
    >
    >Go Russ
    >
    >Peter

    Russ is an extremely fortunate fellow to have friends such as yourself! Get well soon Russ

    Dave

  4. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    "Peter Wallace" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "I had a bit of a bad week last week but I'm OK now" - Russ.
    >
    > What he actually meant was he got some very nasty hospital infection that made him extremely ill
    > (because he's not ill, just incapacitated), put him in solitary confinement, no food, and stopped
    > progress on the wheelchair project. Anyway he's largely recovered from that, back on the programme
    > and welcoming visitors (not all at once please) so I popped in to see him last night.
    >
    > [email protected]
    >
    > and
    >
    > Russ Pinder St Georges Ward Stoke Mandeville Spinal Injuries Unit Stoke Mandeville Hospital
    > Mandeville Road Aylesbury Bucks HP21 8AL
    >
    > It seems the cards and e-mails help. Keep them coming... and visit.
    >
    > Go Russ
    >
    > Peter

    Good job keeping us posted. I just sent him an email and will probably mail a card. And think about
    this, if his share of the medical is more than he can pay, if everybody that reads this ng sent $5
    or $10 to him, or the UK lb equivalent, I'll bet it would go a long way.

    3 yrs ago when I was racked up, I had hoped somebody would have done that for me, as I missed 3 mos
    of work, no unemployment, etc., and still had to pay the medical out of pocket. ;~) Getting hurt
    hurts in lots of ways. Remember to pray. It's free and it works.

    Paladin

  5. On Thu, 24 Apr 2003 14:43:08 +0000, Paladin did issue forth:

    > Good job keeping us posted. I just sent him an email and will probably mail a card. And think
    > about this, if his share of the medical is more than he can pay, if everybody that reads this ng
    > sent $5 or $10 to him, or the UK lb equivalent, I'll bet it would go a long way.

    Fortunately for Russ, the medical stuff will be on the government.

    If anybody here has £5 or whatever, then the Air Ambulance Association would be glad to receive it,
    and as has already been said, that's where Russ would like it to go.

    I intend to shove some money their way after payday, after all, it could be me or any of the other
    UK members of AMB needing their services next.