Russ Pinder - what next?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Peter Wallace, Apr 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. "I had a bit of a bad week last week but I'm OK now" - Russ.

What he actually meant was he got some very nasty hospital infection that made him extremely ill
    (because he's not ill, just incapacitated), put him in solitary confinement, no food, and stopped
    progress on the wheelchair project. Anyway he's largely recovered from that, back on the programme
    and welcoming visitors (not all at once please) so I popped in to see him last night.

It's been 5 weeks since Russ broke his back. I can't begin to imagine what he's been through in that
    time but he's still being full-on Russ Pinder - a good act anyway and especially so now.

A few things were discussed (after I had been thoroughly debriefed on my Easter riding in the Lakes,
    errors pointed out and directions for improvements issued).

It is clear that the reason for his stack was a loose front wheel and Russ is considering his
    options in relation to the disc/drop-out design issues that have been much discussed recently. any
    information on similar experiences might be helpful.

There's "Russ Appeal". Quite a few people want to show support by fundraising. Russ is very happy to
    be involved in this (but isn't yet signed up for off-road wheelchair marathons) and wants it all to
    go to the Air Ambulance people http://www.naaas.co.uk/ They are the safety net for all of us. To
    this end there is now an e-mail list that will have all the discussion, chit-chat, good ideas,
    stupid ideas and abuse. Just subscribe and filter it all to your new Russ Appeal folder and we will
    see what happens. Marc Davison and Mike Faxholm tell me that this link will take you there. If it
    doesn't blame them not me.

Send a mail to: [email protected] (which seems to be really slow)

Alternatively (if you have a yahoo id) visit: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/russappeal/join and sign
    up there. It will prompt you to log into your yahoo account first, or sign up if you don't have one.

Being fed up with hospital Russ is now thinking about home and making it wheelchair friendly. He's a
    Building Contractor and Engineer, I'm an Architect, so there was no common ground in that
    conversation.

Watch out for the Russ Appeal web site. Marc and I are meeting in a pub next week to get that one
    going. It may not produce much but seemed an adequate excuse for a beer. Wed evening, anybody else?

And this is from me. Russ is one of the good guys and one of our own. He didn't deserve this. I know
    we are all thinking of him but let Russ know that

[email protected]

and

Russ Pinder St Georges Ward Stoke Mandeville Spinal Injuries Unit Stoke Mandeville Hospital
    Mandeville Road Aylesbury Bucks HP21 8AL

It seems the cards and e-mails help. Keep them coming... and visit.

Go Russ

Peter

Tags:

2. Just Zis Guy

Just Zis Guy Guest

On Thu, 24 Apr 2003 10:59:27 +0000 (UTC), "Peter Wallace" <[email protected]> wrote:

Being absent from the group at the time, I had missed the terrible news. For once I'm lost for
    words. Good luck, Russ.

Guy
    ===
    ** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
    work. Apologies.

3. Andrew B

Andrew B Guest

I must admit I'm not fully aware of the rest of the connected thread and not sure who Russ is, it
    does however put all the little things into perspective.

I apologise for my ignorance, I am not really in contact with a lot of the cycling scene, I just
    love to ride my bike(s).

Pass on my regards.

Andrew B

"Peter Wallace" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]... "I had a bit of a bad week last week but I'm OK
    now" - Russ.

What he actually meant was he got some very nasty hospital infection that made him extremely ill
    (because he's not ill, just incapacitated), put him in solitary confinement, no food, and stopped
    progress on the wheelchair project. Anyway he's largely recovered from that, back on the programme
    and welcoming visitors (not all at once please) so I popped in to see him last night.

It's been 5 weeks since Russ broke his back. I can't begin to imagine what he's been through in that
    time but he's still being full-on Russ Pinder - a good act anyway and especially so now.

A few things were discussed (after I had been thoroughly debriefed on my Easter riding in the Lakes,
    errors pointed out and directions for improvements issued).

It is clear that the reason for his stack was a loose front wheel and Russ is considering his
    options in relation to the disc/drop-out design issues that have been much discussed recently. any
    information on similar experiences might be helpful.

There's "Russ Appeal". Quite a few people want to show support by fundraising. Russ is very happy to
    be involved in this (but isn't yet signed up for off-road wheelchair marathons) and wants it all to
    go to the Air Ambulance people http://www.naaas.co.uk/ They are the safety net for all of us. To
    this end there is now an e-mail list that will have all the discussion, chit-chat, good ideas,
    stupid ideas and abuse. Just subscribe and filter it all to your new Russ Appeal folder and we will
    see what happens. Marc Davison and Mike Faxholm tell me that this link will take you there. If it
    doesn't blame them not me.

Send a mail to: [email protected] (which seems to be really slow)

Alternatively (if you have a yahoo id) visit: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/russappeal/join and sign
    up there. It will prompt you to log into your yahoo account first, or sign up if you don't have one.

Being fed up with hospital Russ is now thinking about home and making it wheelchair friendly. He's a
    Building Contractor and Engineer, I'm an Architect, so there was no common ground in that
    conversation.

Watch out for the Russ Appeal web site. Marc and I are meeting in a pub next week to get that one
    going. It may not produce much but seemed an adequate excuse for a beer. Wed evening, anybody else?

And this is from me. Russ is one of the good guys and one of our own. He didn't deserve this. I know
    we are all thinking of him but let Russ know that

[email protected]

and

Russ Pinder St Georges Ward Stoke Mandeville Spinal Injuries Unit Stoke Mandeville Hospital
    Mandeville Road Aylesbury Bucks HP21 8AL

It seems the cards and e-mails help. Keep them coming... and visit.

Go Russ

Peter

4. Peter Clinch

Peter Clinch Guest

Andrew B wrote:
    > I must admit I'm not fully aware of the rest of the connected thread and not sure who Russ is, it
    > does however put all the little things into perspective. <snip>

I only know Russ as one of those reliable posters who send in useful to-the-point emails to u.r.c.
    that are worth one's while reading. So consequently held in high regard.

> Pass on my regards.

Indeed, along with best wishes for the best outcome from the treatment.

Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net [email protected]
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.