Russ Pinder

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Andy Whitworth, Mar 19, 2003.

  1. Russ Pinder is a keen mountain biker and often contributes to this newsgroup. For those that didn't
    know, Russ had a very bad accident while out MTBing in the Black Mountains last Sunday. The actual
    cause of the accident is not too clear at this time although it would appear that his front forks
    failed catastrophically. Russ was helicoptered off the moutain to a local hospital thanks to the
    bravery of the air ambulance crew. He's now in Stoke Mandeville Spinal Injuries department with a
    broken back. The prognosis still isn't clear as it's still early days, I believe he's in the
    operating theatre as I type this note.

    I'm sure everyone here would like to send their best wishes to Russ and his family at this time.

    Andy.

    Tags:

  2. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "Andy Whitworth" <[email protected]_obvious_spam_thang> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Russ Pinder is a keen mountain biker and often contributes to this newsgroup. For those that
    > didn't know, Russ had a very bad accident while out MTBing in the Black Mountains last Sunday.
    > The actual cause of the accident is not too clear at this time although it would appear that his
    > front forks failed catastrophically. Russ was helicoptered off the moutain to a local hospital
    > thanks to the bravery of the air ambulance crew. He's now in Stoke Mandeville Spinal Injuries
    > department with a broken back. The prognosis still isn't clear as it's still early days, I
    > believe he's in the
    operating
    > theatre as I type this note.
    >
    > I'm sure everyone here would like to send their best wishes to Russ and his family at this time.
    >

    > Andy.

    Look after yourself Russell. Hope you make a full recovery and thanks for your advice in the past.
    Take care.

  3. > I'm sure everyone here would like to send their best wishes to Russ and his family at this time.

    > Andy.

    Absolutely. I hope his injuries are not as bad as they sound.

    Ken.

  4. Russ - if you read this - I'm thinking of you - sending lots of good vibes for you to heal and grow
    strong again.

    As and when you can - post again - and your family - hang in there - good thoughts for you too to be
    strong at this time.

    gentle *hugs* for Russ & family helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  5. Andy Chequer

    Andy Chequer Guest

    "Andy Whitworth" <[email protected]_obvious_spam_thang> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Russ Pinder is a keen mountain biker and often contributes to this newsgroup. For those that
    > didn't know, Russ had a very bad accident while out MTBing in the Black Mountains last Sunday.
    > The actual cause of the accident is not too clear at this time although it would appear that his
    > front forks failed catastrophically. Russ was helicoptered off the moutain to a local hospital
    > thanks to the bravery of the air ambulance crew. He's now in Stoke Mandeville Spinal Injuries
    > department with a broken back. The prognosis still isn't clear as it's still early days, I
    > believe he's in the
    operating
    > theatre as I type this note.
    >
    > I'm sure everyone here would like to send their best wishes to Russ and his family at this time.
    >

    > Andy.

    I've just cross posted this in alt.mountain-bike, where Russ is a well known and repsected poster.

    I share the senitments offered by others.

    Andy Chequer, long time uk.rec.cycling lurker.

  6. Pete Jones

    Pete Jones Guest

    On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 21:07:52 -0000, "Andy Whitworth" <[email protected]_obvious_spam_thang>
    blathered:

    >The actual cause of the accident is not too clear at this time although it would appear that his
    >front forks failed catastrophically.

    What fork, out of interest?

    Pete
    ----
    http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/

  7. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Andy Whitworth wrote:
    > I'm sure everyone here would like to send their best wishes to Russ and his family at this time.

    Yes indeed. Please print out and pass on our wishes to Russ in hospital if you can.

    Russ, I'm sorry to hear of your accident. Hope the healing and treatment goes well and you make a
    good recovery.

    Pete Biggs uk.rec.cycling

  8. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    "Andy Whitworth" <[email protected]_obvious_spam_thang> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > He's now in Stoke Mandeville Spinal Injuries department with a broken back. The prognosis still
    > isn't clear as it's still early days, I believe he's in the operating theatre as I type this note.

    I'm shocked to hear that. What appalling news! I sincerely hope Russell's situation is nowhere near
    as bad as it seems it might be, and I wish him a speedy recovery. Thanks for posting this Andy.

    --
    Dave...

  9. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    I've been out riding with Russell a number of times - great guy and devastating news. Lets pray it
    turns out to not be as bad as it appears.

    Tony

    Andy Whitworth <[email protected]_obvious_spam_thang> wrote:
    > Russ Pinder is a keen mountain biker and often contributes to this newsgroup. For those that
    > didn't know, Russ had a very bad accident while out MTBing in the Black Mountains last Sunday. The
    > actual cause of the accident is not too clear at this time although it would appear that his front
    > forks failed catastrophically. Russ was helicoptered off the moutain to a local hospital thanks to
    > the bravery of the air ambulance crew. He's now in Stoke Mandeville Spinal Injuries department
    > with a broken back. The prognosis still isn't clear as it's still early days, I believe he's in
    > the operating theatre as I type this note.
    >
    > I'm sure everyone here would like to send their best wishes to Russ and his family at this time.
    >

    > Andy.

  10. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    Very best wishes Russ.

  11. On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 21:07:52 +0000, Andy Whitworth did issue forth:

    > I'm sure everyone here would like to send their best wishes to Russ and his family at this time.

    Best wishes Russ.

  12. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    Pete Jones <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 21:07:52 -0000, "Andy Whitworth"
    > <[email protected]_obvious_spam_thang> blathered:
    >
    > >The actual cause of the accident is not too clear at this time although it would appear that his
    > >front forks failed catastrophically.
    >
    > What fork, out of interest?

    A natural enough concern, but the fork alone may not have been the problem. See James Annan's post
    "web page on disk brakes and quick releases". I think he may have uncovered a serious safety issue.

    --
    Dave...

  13. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    "Pete Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > What fork, out of interest?

    Report on Singletrack forum from someone there:

    "The Air side and disc caliper leg of the Fox's have sheared at the crown and the bridge has sheared
    were it meets the other leg.The stantions are all in one piece.His wheel was approx 25 yards above
    Russ leaning against the wire fence if you know it and the bike about 25 yards below him."

    Tony

  14. Thus spake "Andy Whitworth" <[email protected]_obvious_spam_thang>

    > I'm sure everyone here would like to send their best wishes to Russ and his family at this time.

    Please add mine.

    Get Well Soon Russ!

    I really hope you make a good recovery.

    My thoughts are with you.

    All the best

  15. Andy Welch

    Andy Welch Guest

    Sorry to hear about the crash. All the best for a speedy recovery.

    Cheers,

    Andy

  16. Tim Woodall

    Tim Woodall Guest

  17. Terry

    Terry Guest

    Good luck and best wishes Russ from Terry Jones

  18. "Andy Whitworth" <[email protected]_obvious_spam_thang> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Russ Pinder is a keen mountain biker and often contributes to this newsgroup. For those that
    > didn't know, Russ had a very bad accident while out MTBing in the Black Mountains last Sunday.
    > The actual cause of the accident is not too clear at this time although it would appear that his
    > front forks failed catastrophically. Russ was helicoptered off the moutain to a local hospital
    > thanks to the bravery of the air ambulance crew. He's now in Stoke Mandeville Spinal Injuries
    > department with a broken back. The prognosis still isn't clear as it's still early days, I
    > believe he's in the
    operating
    > theatre as I type this note.
    >
    > I'm sure everyone here would like to send their best wishes to Russ and his family at this time.
    >

    > Andy.

    Thanks for posting Andy. I have been asked to collect everything and forward it to Russ. I'm sorry
    but I only just caught up here.

    It's an impossible task to update all the places Russ is known. Please forgive the people concerned
    and if you want updates watch the forum at Singletrack
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/list.php?f=2&menu=14

    The best wishes are appreciated

    Peter

  19. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

    Best wishes Russ. Here's to a speedy recovery.

    Nick Boyle

  20. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Thu, 20 Mar 2003 16:33:13 +0000 (UTC), "Peter Wallace" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Thanks for posting Andy. I have been asked to collect everything and forward it to Russ. I'm sorry
    >but I only just caught up here.
    >
    >It's an impossible task to update all the places Russ is known. Please forgive the people concerned
    >and if you want updates watch the forum at Singletrack
    >http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/list.php?f=2&menu=14

    Peter

    Please add my condolences and best wishes to your list.

    In fact, I've just been on to Stoke Mandeville to find out their address as I wish to send a
    card to Russ.

    The details are: Stoke Mandeville Hospital NHS Trust Mandeville Road Aylesbury
    Buckinghamshire HP21 8AL

    Tel: 01296 315000 Fax: 01296 316604

    <http://www.nhs.uk/localnhsservices/view_org.asp?oc=RNT>

    James