russian training

leanman

Sep 20, 2009
read an article on some russian junior tt champ from the 80's i think it was. how he trained 40k in the am, 4-5 hrs in the noon hr, and 40k at dinnertime.. he won a gold, but with everyone else training 1 time a day, do you really think that he won cause he did 3 a days or he was a bit better. then when he wins byonly a few seconds, it just seems to me like he won cause he was better, not because he did 3x a day..

the russians dominated amateur cycling, riders like Pavel Tonkov who also won the professional giro d'italia afterwards, Sergei Soukhoroutchenkov won gold in the 80 olympics, among an extensive palmares, you could train 3 times a day if you follow a demanding year training plan, however it is most common to do it 2 times a day, morning and then afternoon,

Their 'program' was full of steroids and other unmarked injections.
Ekimov was one of the first to tell.
Same with East Germans.

Ekimov said they were forced into over-training.

if he says he was forced into overtraining, why the great results?? track road rusults are great. how do you get great overtraining???no matter howmany drugs you are on,overtraining is overtraining

One of my coworker's has a friend that was a former soviet cyclist that was at the world class level way back. My friend told me about his days of training and it sounded much like this. They were selected (as typical by a communist country) because they had shown to have tremendous genetic potential, they lived in barracks, were fed well, treated better than most, but because of this they were like machines and controlled by the coaches/doctors. So when Tshame says forced he may mean the same as this that they were chosen by the government and told what, how and how much. The choice was to do what they say or go live in poverty like many of the other less fortunate citizens.

The second thing is that what they did would be over training for the normal natural person, but the primary reason for using drugs is to greatly shorten the recovery time. There are other reasons. Drugs like this do several things. Just to list a few:
1. Enhanced Recovery
2. Enhanced tolerance to a greater stress load
3. Enhanced aggression that a person will go further into discomfort pushing the harder than the normal person can tolerate.

There is always a point of over reaching or over training for even those on drugs so these people are not necessarily over training, but they would be if they were drug free.

Ekimov said they had to train 8 hours a day, 5 or 6 days a week, just like other jobs.

He did 4 hours, lunch, and 4 hours.
No slouching allowed. No 'too tired' days either.
His 'great results' were mostly after he left the USSR.
However, he was fast on the track as a junior.
Maybe, this life was more tolerable as a teen than an adult.