Rust never sleeps

CAMPYBOB

Sep 12, 2005
Yes, Virginia, aluminum oxidizes just like steel. Anodized or not...

Picture lifted from a Zwift user on Facebook:

15219624_10157815953520015_2443778624194649507_n.jpg

UMmm...

I believe that you are confusing "oxidation" with corrosion ...​

I believe you're a pedantic idiot. Aluminum and steel both react with water and oxygen. In the case of steel the result is ferric oxide, iron oxide...whatever. In the case of aluminum it is aluminum oxide. While aluminum oxide formation is considered a protective layer and usually inhibits further formation of the oxide, when the ph conditions are right (see also: sweat) the oxidation process continues beyond the protective depth layer. Oxidation is just the chemical reduction of a metal into a more stabile form...in this case its oxide. But you already knew all that, didn't you?

Now, run along Alf and try to convince the world you how to assemble an UltraTorque crankset with a 1 MM 'air gap' separating the Hirth joint.

When you buy ITM bars and sweat like a pig over a pit of BBQ coals, what do you expect? ;)

I bet half of that is sloth sweat from the low IQ humanoid that hasn't figured out that a big fan and a towel helps stop you from soaking your expensive bike (cause even 'cheap bikes' really aren't cheap) in a warm salt solution.

At least one fan in the pictures...just saying. Nice wood floor and the dude is smart enough to use a trainer mat.

Not sure of his IQ, but going by the wall socket, he's a Euro. Going by the antennae shifters, he's a shitmaNO user. So...you are very likely correct. If we could confirm his affinity for warm beer we could easily affirm your speculation.

Handlebar owner trained in fingerless gloves according to his post on Facebook. One of those 'sweat guard' fabric things would have helped, but just like riding the road I use all the bar positions on the trainer and most of them block the flats bar grip area.

Note to self: Keep can of WD40 next to trainer and hose down headset and Cinelli's after dripping sweat.

Last edited:
I believe you're a pedantic idiot. Aluminum and steel both react with water and oxygen. In the case of steel the result is ferric oxide, iron oxide...whatever. In the case of aluminum it is aluminum oxide. While aluminum oxide formation is considered a protective layer and usually inhibits further formation of the oxide, when the ph conditions are right (see also: sweat) the oxidation process continues beyond the protective depth layer. Oxidation is just the chemical reduction of a metal into a more stabile form...in this case its oxide. But you already knew all that, didn't you?
CUTE!?!

What a nicely wordy, pedantic reply ...

I guess that we should not be surprised by your earlier imprecision and pseudo-pedantic attempt to clarify ...​

Now, run along Alf and try to convince the world you how to assemble an UltraTorque crankset with a 1 MM 'air gap' separating the Hirth joint.
INTERESTING ...

So, you continue to insist that:

IF my UltraTorque cranksets are set up where the Q-Factor is 144.5mm ...

And, your UltraTorque cranksets are set up where the Q-Factor is 145.5mm +/- ...

Then, in YOUR world, YOU think that MY cranks are somehow set up with a "1 MM 'air gap'."​

You continue to exhibit an interesting, Orwellian understanding of arithmetic where 2 + 2 = 5 ...

At least one fan in the pictures...just saying. Nice wood floor and the dude is smart enough to use a trainer mat.

Not sure of his IQ, but going by the wall socket, he's a Euro. Going by the antennae shifters, he's a shitmaNO user. So...you are very likely correct. If we could confirm his affinity for warm beer we could easily affirm your speculation.

Handlebar owner trained in fingerless gloves according to his post on Facebook. One of those 'sweat guard' fabric things would have helped, but just like riding the road I use all the bar positions on the trainer and most of them block the flats bar grip area.

Note to self: Keep can of WD40 next to trainer and hose down headset and Cinelli's after dripping sweat.

Saying that fan is suitable for training is like saying used condoms are OK for use as brake blocks. Rubbers, rubber, right? We all know that we need a fan that blows like an EF3 twister in Kansas in order to stop sweating like Niagra Falls.

A big towel draped over the bars and top tube works better than a "sweat guard" thingy - plus you can ride on the tops too.

Looking at that setup I'd say it was someone in the Deep South that trained just after their banjo lessons...

Swami,

Wall sockets say if it is the Deep South, it's the Deep South of Euroland?

Floor fan is a start, for sure. I have two 20" box fans at face/torso height. I keep the training room unheated. That helps a lot in the middle of a cold Ohio Winter. More better. Roll of paper towels for snot/sweat. As profuse sweaters go, I'm not bad. Thin, little insulation value.