Rust on Shimano SPD pedals

crb

Guest
I have a pair of M540 pedals and the steel components (springs,
screws, clasp) are starting to rust (not the axle).

I have had some suggestions about looking after them better.

Can anyone tell me if the higher-spec pedals (M770 or M970) are better
at resisting rust?

Thanks.

crb wrote:
>I have a pair of M540 pedals and the steel components (springs,
> screws, clasp) are starting to rust (not the axle).
>
> I have had some suggestions about looking after them better.
>
> Can anyone tell me if the higher-spec pedals (M770 or M970) are better
> at resisting rust?
>
> Thanks.

Don't worry about it. Keep the outside (away from the axle) lubed with a
light lube/water displacer like WD-40 and the parts with metal-to-metal
contact will keep themselves rust-free from the constant contact. Use
something slightly heavier like mineral oil if you wish to apply less
frequently.

--
Phil

>I have a pair of M540 pedals and the steel components (springs,
> screws, clasp) are starting to rust (not the axle).
>
> I have had some suggestions about looking after them better.
>
> Can anyone tell me if the higher-spec pedals (M770 or M970) are better
> at resisting rust?

I believe the higher-end pedals will be more resistant to rust, but all it
takes to keep pedal springs etc from rusting is a bit of oil. Also, a small
amount of oxidation should be considered more a cosmetic than functional
issue; rusted-through components on Shimano pedals are very rare (don't
recall that I've ever seen a broken spring).

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

In article <[email protected]>,
"Phil" <[email protected]> wrote:

> crb wrote:
> >I have a pair of M540 pedals and the steel components (springs,
> > screws, clasp) are starting to rust (not the axle).
> >
> > I have had some suggestions about looking after them better.
> >
> > Can anyone tell me if the higher-spec pedals (M770 or M970) are better
> > at resisting rust?
> >
> > Thanks.

> Don't worry about it. Keep the outside (away from the axle) lubed with a
> light lube/water displacer like WD-40 and the parts with metal-to-metal
> contact will keep themselves rust-free from the constant contact. Use
> something slightly heavier like mineral oil if you wish to apply less
> frequently.

WD-40, for all its good qualities, is not lubricant.

--
Michael Press

crb wrote:
> I have a pair of M540 pedals and the steel components (springs,
> screws, clasp) are starting to rust (not the axle).
>
> I have had some suggestions about looking after them better.
>
> Can anyone tell me if the higher-spec pedals (M770 or M970) are better
> at resisting rust?
>
> Thanks.

yes - one of the alternatives you cite is stainless steel. the answers
are out there at shimano.com.

crb wrote:
> I have a pair of M540 pedals and the steel components (springs,
> screws, clasp) are starting to rust (not the axle).
>
> I have had some suggestions about looking after them better.
>
> Can anyone tell me if the higher-spec pedals (M770 or M970) are better
> at resisting rust?
>
> Thanks.

I several have Shimano SPD pedals all over the price range, and rust
hasn't been a problem except when light surface rust changes (increases)
the disengagement force. This seems to only happen when the pedals have
been put away wet & not ridden for some time (like months). I've used a
wire brush to get them smooth again. I find that a little lube on the
pedal/cleat interface helps getting a predictable release force, too.

None of my Shimano pedals appear to have any stainless parts.

Michael Press wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Phil" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> crb wrote:
>> >I have a pair of M540 pedals and the steel components (springs,
>> > screws, clasp) are starting to rust (not the axle).
>> >
>> > I have had some suggestions about looking after them better.
>> >
>> > Can anyone tell me if the higher-spec pedals (M770 or M970) are
>> > better at resisting rust?
>> >
>> > Thanks.

>> Don't worry about it. Keep the outside (away from the axle) lubed
>> with a light lube/water displacer like WD-40 and the parts with
>> metal-to-metal contact will keep themselves rust-free from the
>> constant contact. Use something slightly heavier like mineral oil
>> if you wish to apply less frequently.

> WD-40, for all its good qualities, is not lubricant.

Who said anything about lubricating?

--
Phil

In article <[email protected]>,
"Phil" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Michael Press wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>,

> >> Don't worry about it. Keep the outside (away from the axle) lubed
> >> with a light lube/water displacer like WD-40 and the parts with
> >> metal-to-metal contact will keep themselves rust-free from the
> >> constant contact. Use something slightly heavier like mineral oil
> >> if you wish to apply less frequently.

> > WD-40, for all its good qualities, is not lubricant.

> Who said anything about lubricating?

Look in the paragraph to which I replied.
What does `lubed' mean?

--
Michael Press