Rust on Ultegra SPD-SLs

bartsie

Jun 20, 2011
I had to take my pedals off and discovered rust inside the spindle (where you put the hex wrench in). This was surprising, as (a) I only got them in May (new) and haven't been caught in much rain since, so except for a few times when I washed the bike they haven't been exposed to much water (b) I thought Ultegra was sufficiently fancy.

Is some rust (I got most of it out with a q-tip) even an issue? If it is, shall I contact the bike shop? (It looks like Shimano warranty is 1 year)

Apparently the axle is just plain steel, not SS. Possibly they didn't bother with an anti-corrosion treatment on those internal splines. I wouldn't worry about a little rust inside the hex at any rate, but if the moisture is corroding the threads (between the steel axle and the alloy crankarm), that could cause you problems down the road. Suggest you remove the pedals and check for corrosion on both the male and female threads and mating surfaces. I'd reassembly with grease on the threads and between the mating surfaces of the steel/aluminum.

It's hard to dry off all the places on a bike that can trap droplets. I often just use a damp rag to clean the frame tubes when they need it, rather than spraying down the whole bike.

I use blue marine grease on the pedal spindles. Sold for use in boat trailer wheel bearings that see a lot of time under water.

After exposure to water, hit them with WD-40 and do as mpre53 says...apply a light film of grease with a Q-Tip. I have also known guys to clean the hex recesses of fasteners and fill the voids with silicone caulk (available in clear, white and black at most hardware stores).