Rust removal

Ben

Guest
There are a few nicks on my frame with rust, none bigger than an 1/8th inch. I'd like to get rid
of the rust.

How can/should I?

-Ben

"Ben" wrote ...
> There are a few nicks on my frame with rust, none bigger than an 1/8th inch. I'd like to get rid
> of the rust.
>
> How can/should I?

I just asked this question here not long ago, and one answer was naval jelly (after removing what
rust you can), available at your hardware store. The other option is something available at auto
parts stores that requires some of the rust to remain in order to work effectively. Maybe someone
remembers what it's called. If I remember, I'll post it back here.

Jim F

"Jim Flom" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I just asked this question here not long ago, and one answer was naval
jelly
> (after removing what rust you can), available at your hardware store. The other option is
> something available at auto parts stores that requires
some
> of the rust to remain in order to work effectively. Maybe someone
remembers
> what it's called. If I remember, I'll post it back here.

There are products which convert rust to a different form of iron oxide ( help! we need a chemist
here!) effectively making a barrier to further corrosion. One brand name is "Extend". They do work
as claimed.

"A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Ben" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > There are a few nicks on my frame with rust, none bigger than an 1/8th inch. I'd like to get rid
> > of the rust.
> >
> > How can/should I?
>
> With a small file or sandpaper. This may be helpful:
>
> http://www.yellowjersey.org/paint_repair.html

If automotive paint rubbing compound won't get it, then a small wire brush on a Dremmel tool
will. You can get rubbing compound at any automotive store. A Dremmel tool is worth having for
the cutting, grinding and polishing jobs it does. Besides, any good excuse to buy a tool should
be embraced.

Steve Shapiro

Sheldon, are you just joshing us? You are aren't you. :)

For rust removal, I generally use a steel brush and take the rust away. Of course chromium is much
harder that steel so you won't be damaging the surface.

Any loose plating material will be removed and that cannot be helped with any means.

If the part is cheap, it may have nickle plating, which will be damaged. Then again it's a cheap
part that has nickle plating.

That said, a wire wheel brush attached to your electric drill is good for larger jobs.

Likewise, for smaller work and Xacto blade works pretty well too. Be certain to wear eye protection
should the blade chip and send sharp fragments which alway's seem to gravitate to your eyeballs. We
would not want that to happen now.

Cheers,

Wynn

"Jim Flom" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Ben" wrote ...
> > There are a few nicks on my frame with rust, none bigger than an 1/8th inch. I'd like to get rid
> > of the rust.
> >
> > How can/should I?
>
> I just asked this question here not long ago, and one answer was naval jelly (after removing what
> rust you can), available at your hardware store. The other option is something available at auto
> parts stores that requires some of the rust to remain in order to work effectively. Maybe someone
> remembers what it's called. If I remember, I'll post it back here.
>
> Jim F

I have used this stuff called "Rust Converter" on a couple of old steel 6-speed frames. It turns
rust to hard black paintable primer. It works fine. Auto parts store should carry it.