Rusted bottom bracket axle question

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Dan Daniel, Jun 3, 2004.

  1. Dan Daniel

    Dan Daniel Guest

    I pulled a bottom bracket out of a frame with no cranks that had been
    sitting outdoors for a while. Shimano UN-52, spins fine, etc. The
    tapers have some rust on them. I did a little sanding and cleaned off
    most of the scale.

    Will the force of installation on the tapers basically smooth out any
    leftover rust interference? Do the tapers need to be super smooth?

    I don't want to ruin the cranks with a loose installation. That is
    all- concerns about the life of the BB, the smoothness, etc. aren't an
    issue- just not ruining the cranks.

    Thanks.

    Tags:

  2. Dan Daniel wrote:

    > I pulled a bottom bracket out of a frame with no cranks that had been
    > sitting outdoors for a while. Shimano UN-52, spins fine, etc. The
    > tapers have some rust on them. I did a little sanding and cleaned off
    > most of the scale.
    >
    > Will the force of installation on the tapers basically smooth out any
    > leftover rust interference? Do the tapers need to be super smooth?
    >
    > I don't want to ruin the cranks with a loose installation. That is
    > all- concerns about the life of the BB, the smoothness, etc. aren't an
    > issue- just not ruining the cranks.

    I would put a bit of anti-seize on the tapers, having had cranks seize
    to the spindle in the past such that even a gear puller wouldn't shift them.

    However, this is a religious issue!

  3. Mark South

    Mark South Guest

    "Zog The Undeniable" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Dan Daniel wrote:
    >
    > > I pulled a bottom bracket out of a frame with no cranks that had been
    > > sitting outdoors for a while. Shimano UN-52, spins fine, etc. The
    > > tapers have some rust on them. I did a little sanding and cleaned off
    > > most of the scale.
    > >
    > > Will the force of installation on the tapers basically smooth out any
    > > leftover rust interference? Do the tapers need to be super smooth?
    > >
    > > I don't want to ruin the cranks with a loose installation. That is
    > > all- concerns about the life of the BB, the smoothness, etc. aren't an
    > > issue- just not ruining the cranks.
    > >

    > I would put a bit of anti-seize on the tapers, having had cranks seize
    > to the spindle in the past such that even a gear puller wouldn't shift them.

    How long had they been on there? Installation torque?

    > However, this is a religious issue!

    No, it's not. Religious issues are to do with unprovable matters of belief.
    This is an engineering issue. Those who like to obfuscate it prefer to deny the
    evidence so that they can make a religious issue out of it, but it's not.
    --
    Mark South: World Citizen, Net Denizen, Taper Greaser

  4. Mark South wrote:

    > How long had they been on there? Installation torque?

    From new, and not stupidly tight anyway. Fortunately the other side
    wasn't seized so the BB and cranks were still removable.