Rusted bottom bracket axle question

Dan Daniel

Guest
I pulled a bottom bracket out of a frame with no cranks that had been
sitting outdoors for a while. Shimano UN-52, spins fine, etc. The
tapers have some rust on them. I did a little sanding and cleaned off
most of the scale.

Will the force of installation on the tapers basically smooth out any
leftover rust interference? Do the tapers need to be super smooth?

I don't want to ruin the cranks with a loose installation. That is
all- concerns about the life of the BB, the smoothness, etc. aren't an
issue- just not ruining the cranks.

Thanks.

Dan Daniel wrote:

> I pulled a bottom bracket out of a frame with no cranks that had been
> sitting outdoors for a while. Shimano UN-52, spins fine, etc. The
> tapers have some rust on them. I did a little sanding and cleaned off
> most of the scale.
>
> Will the force of installation on the tapers basically smooth out any
> leftover rust interference? Do the tapers need to be super smooth?
>
> I don't want to ruin the cranks with a loose installation. That is
> all- concerns about the life of the BB, the smoothness, etc. aren't an
> issue- just not ruining the cranks.

I would put a bit of anti-seize on the tapers, having had cranks seize
to the spindle in the past such that even a gear puller wouldn't shift them.

However, this is a religious issue!

"Zog The Undeniable" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Dan Daniel wrote:
>
> > I pulled a bottom bracket out of a frame with no cranks that had been
> > sitting outdoors for a while. Shimano UN-52, spins fine, etc. The
> > tapers have some rust on them. I did a little sanding and cleaned off
> > most of the scale.
> >
> > Will the force of installation on the tapers basically smooth out any
> > leftover rust interference? Do the tapers need to be super smooth?
> >
> > I don't want to ruin the cranks with a loose installation. That is
> > all- concerns about the life of the BB, the smoothness, etc. aren't an
> > issue- just not ruining the cranks.
> >

> I would put a bit of anti-seize on the tapers, having had cranks seize
> to the spindle in the past such that even a gear puller wouldn't shift them.

How long had they been on there? Installation torque?

> However, this is a religious issue!

No, it's not. Religious issues are to do with unprovable matters of belief.
This is an engineering issue. Those who like to obfuscate it prefer to deny the
evidence so that they can make a religious issue out of it, but it's not.
--
Mark South: World Citizen, Net Denizen, Taper Greaser

Mark South wrote:

> How long had they been on there? Installation torque?

From new, and not stupidly tight anyway. Fortunately the other side
wasn't seized so the BB and cranks were still removable.