Rusted brake cable guide

Pendejo

Apr 8, 2006
I've got a Cannondale that I use for training, still in good shape except for one thing. The cable for the rear brake runs underneath the top tube, and the metal guide for it underneat the seat has gotten rusted from sweat, I guess. Because of this the cable gets frozen in place inside the guide. I used to be able to keep it going for a while by periodically dripping lube or WD-40 into the guide, but that's not working anymore. I've had it in the bike shop several times for this, and they've changed a cable a few times, and added more lube, but it's only a temporary fix.

Can't the inside of the guide be reamed out with abrasive wire or something? Or can a guide be replaced on the frame without damaging the frame?

Thanks for any information.

I'm not sure that I understand what you are talking about when you say "cable guide". I'm not real familiar with Cannondale, but if they are designed like most bikes, the only guide for the rear brake under the seat would be a short length of cable casing and you should be able to replace it. Most bike shops stock cable casings in bulk in at least two colors.

If this guide is an integral part of the frame, you might try pulling a small peice of emery cloth attached to a cable through it. Once you have cleaned it out, you will want to lubricate it well with a water resistant lubricant and then re-lube it frequently to prevent it from rusting up again. WD-40 can be used as a penetrating oil, but it should aleays be followed up with a longer lasting lubricant.

kdelong said:
I'm not sure that I understand what you are talking about when you say "cable guide". I'm not real familiar with Cannondale, but if they are designed like most bikes, the only guide for the rear brake under the seat would be a short length of cable casing and you should be able to replace it. Most bike shops stock

Yes, KD, it's the little metal cylinder that's attached to the underside of the top tube. Your suggestion sounds feasible, and I'll mention it to the bike shop next time I bring the bike in. I don't know why they seem to have been treating the problem as "incurable."