rusty chain

Jane

Guest
help please what is the best thing to oil my chain with??
Thank you
Jane

Burt wrote:
> "Jane" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> help please what is the best thing to oil my chain with??
>> Thank you
>> Jane

> Oil

yes thank you but what type is best engine / chain saw / wd40 or what?????

Jane <[email protected]> writes:

> Burt wrote:
>> "Jane" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>> help please what is the best thing to oil my chain with??
>>> Thank you
>>> Jane

>> Oil

> yes thank you but what type is best engine / chain saw / wd40 or what?????

I'm not sure there's a consensus as to what is best. What sort of
cycling do you do? I've seen recommendations for chainsaw oil, for
special chain lubes like White Lightning and Finish Line. I just use
GT85 but I realise that might not be the best.

Chris
--
Chris Eilbeck

On 25/06/2006 18:05, Burt said,

> Oil

Beat me to it!

Seriously, and guessing you're not a regular cyclist if your chain is
rusty, pop into Halfords (or preferably your local bike shop) and get a
bottle of Finish Line Cross Country. It may seem expensive, but you
don't lather it on like 3in1, so it goes a long way.

Incidentally, don't use WD40. If you want to use a spray oil, use GT85
which any bike shop worth it's salt should stock.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 18:24:33 +0100, Chris Eilbeck wrote:

> I'm not sure there's a consensus as to what is best. What sort of cycling
> do you do? I've seen recommendations for chainsaw oil, for special chain
> lubes like White Lightning and Finish Line. I just use GT85 but I realise
> that might not be the best.

Surely, in the OP's case, *any* oil will do? Except whale oil.....

Jane, use WD40 until all those funny bits of chain that stick up in little
triangles have gone, after that even used engine oil from a car will give
95% of the improvement over a rusty chain that the most expensive stuff
can.

If the little triangles don't go away, and they probably won't, then it's
new chain time. After you've fitted it (had it fitted?) a little tin of
Three-in-One will last several years, and is a lot cheaper than new chains.

Mike

"Jane" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> help please what is the best thing to oil my chain with??
> Thank you
> Jane

I use chain saw oil on the mountain bike and 3 in 1 on the road bike.
Cheap - and they work.

John

Jane wrote:
> help please what is the best thing to oil my chain with??
> Thank you

Finish Line X-Country works for me, but given the reported state of the
chain, WD-40 followed by gear oil. It's what I use when I've,
err-hermm, been a bit lax on the chain maitenance front.

In article <pan.2006.06.25.20.27.37.287173
@firstnamelastname.com.invalid>
Mike Causer <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 18:24:33 +0100, Chris Eilbeck wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure there's a consensus as to what is best. What sort of cycling
> > do you do? I've seen recommendations for chainsaw oil, for special chain
> > lubes like White Lightning and Finish Line. I just use GT85 but I realise
> > that might not be the best.

> Surely, in the OP's case, *any* oil will do? Except whale oil.....
>
> Jane, use WD40 until all those funny bits of chain that stick up in little
> triangles have gone, after that even used engine oil from a car will give
> 95% of the improvement over a rusty chain that the most expensive stuff
> can.

Why /used/ engine oil? That's mucky and full of nasty chemicals and has
lost some of its lubricant properties.

Jane wrote:
> help please what is the best thing to oil my chain with??
> Thank you
> Jane

Opinions vary, almost everyone has a "pet" way of cleaning/oiling a
chain myself I just use 3 in 1 but then I am not a "mega" rider. One
man's view http://sheldonbrown.com/chains.html

BTW WD-40 is NOT an oil, it is a water displacer.
--
This space intentionally left blank.

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 22:43:16 +0100, Rob Morley wrote:

>> Jane, use WD40 until all those funny bits of chain that stick up in
>> little triangles have gone, after that even used engine oil from a car
>> will give 95% of the improvement over a rusty chain that the most
>> expensive stuff can.
>>

> Why /used/ engine oil? That's mucky and full of nasty chemicals and has
> lost some of its lubricant properties.

The emphasis was that *any* oil will do for a rusty chain, no point in
getting fancy about it. Of course new oil from a can, such as 3in1 as I
suggested, is easier to apply, cleaner, non-carcogenic, etc, but for a
rusty chain any oil, no matter what its provenance, is an improvement.
And latex gloves are available from any decent supermarket nowadays.....

Mike

"Mike Causer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...

>> Why /used/ engine oil? That's mucky and full of nasty chemicals and has
>> lost some of its lubricant properties.

> The emphasis was that *any* oil will do for a rusty chain, no point in
> getting fancy about it. Of course new oil from a can, such as 3in1 as I
> suggested, is easier to apply, cleaner, non-carcogenic, etc, but for a
> rusty chain any oil, no matter what its provenance, is an improvement.
> And latex gloves are available from any decent supermarket nowadays.....

I wouldn't use latex gloves for used engine oil - they're not actually very
good at protecting you from chemical nasties.

(thinks - would they dissolve anyway?)

cheers,
clive

Clive George wrote:
> "Mike Causer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:p[email protected]...

/snip
>> And latex gloves are available from any decent
>> supermarket nowadays.....

> I wouldn't use latex gloves for used engine oil - they're not
> actually very good at protecting you from chemical nasties.
>
> (thinks - would they dissolve anyway?)

Disposable *vinyl* gloves are good for protecting you from dirt at least.
A box of 100 costs 4 or 5 quid from a hardware shop or eBay. Carry a pair
on rides as well in case you need to fix a puncture after riding through
something nasty.

~PB

Mike Causer wrote:
> The emphasis was that *any* oil will do for a rusty chain, no point in
> getting fancy about it.

Not quite *any* oil. Do not use anything that resembles any form of
cooking oil.

Yes, I have seen it happen, and it's not worth it long term.

PhilD

--
<><

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 21:43:58 GMT, "soup" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Opinions vary, almost everyone has a "pet" way of cleaning/oiling a
>chain

I'm surprised none of the wax missionaries have shown up yet ...

Jane wrote:
> help please what is the best thing to oil my chain with??
> Thank you
> Jane

Well by the use of 3 in 1 and pliers the chain is now running freely the
brakes are adjusted the front gear selector screws have been fiddled
with till it went where it was told when, and the saddle and handle bars
have been raised! wow. need to fix punture tomorrow I think depends if
its flat again by then. (not done today as repair kit on order!)
chain now oiled with chain saw oil and bike under cover.
Daughters bike has also had chain oiled and gears semi sorted I don't
rate the lbs it came from if I can do a better job!!
Oh well bike 3 arives tomorrow and then we can go for a ride. :))
ttfn
Jane
ps thanks for the confidence reading this group has given me!

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 09:15:21 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:

> Disposable *vinyl* gloves are good for protecting you from dirt at least.
> A box of 100 costs 4 or 5 quid from a hardware shop or eBay. Carry a pair
> on rides as well in case you need to fix a puncture after riding through
> something nasty.

You're right, they /are/ vinyl. I had to get the box out on arriving
home this afternoon, after using the ones in the seatpack sorting out
a broken chain. Carrying baby-wipes in individual sachets cleans the odd
bits of person that invariably come into contact with chain in such
exercises.

BTW, three latex gloves can be crammed into a 35mm film canister, which
protects them from damage in the seatpack.

Mike

Mike Causer wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 09:15:21 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:

<snip>

> BTW, three latex gloves can be crammed into a 35mm film canister, which
> protects them from damage in the seatpack.

I'll tell Zaphod.

Kennedy

Al C-F wrote on 28/06/2006 13:57 +0100:
> On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 18:48:08 +0100
> Mike Causer <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>> BTW, three latex gloves can be crammed into a 35mm film canister, which
>> protects them from damage in the seatpack.
>>

>> Mike

> And precisely none can be fitted into the packaging for a memory card.
> Who said film was dead.

I don't know. The packaging that came with my last memory card was much
bigger than a film canister. ;-)

--
Tony

- Leonardo da Vinci