Rusty old chrome bits

davedbk

Jan 14, 2006
Have picked up an oldie a few days ago and there's a few chrome components that have some surface rust.

Any tricks that I don't know of? The only method I know of is to have it acid bathed and rechromed.

Thanks.

That's what I did - simply had the bits acid-bathed and rechromed, although with all the environmental regulations it was quite hard to find someone to do it for me here in Rome.

But got it done in the end, with a bit of patience...

I've had very good results removing surface rust by using automotive chrome polish and lots of elbow grease. I have also used 0000 steel wool wetted with chrome polish on very stubborn rust, but make sure to test on a nonconspicuous area first.

Chrome polish is great. When I use steel wool I wet it with oil to reduce the chance of scratching up the chrome.

I have recently cleaned up several rusty rims and small parts.

First I clean with Jiff, a white abrasive porcelain cleaner, and a green scourer.
Next, the power drill with a flexi shaft and a set of rotary wire brushes, I prefer copper to steel.
Next some Metal/Chome polish, Glow or Autosol. I use a tooth brush to apply and a small brush in the drill to polish.
Finish by hand with metal polish and a soft cloth. ;)

Thanks for the tips guys...

gclark8 said:
First I clean with Jiff, a white abrasive porcelain cleaner, and a green scourer.
Next, the power drill with a flexi shaft and a set of rotary wire brushes, I prefer copper to steel.
Next some Metal/Chome polish, Glow or Autosol. I use a tooth brush to apply and a small brush in the drill to polish.
Finish by hand with metal polish and a soft cloth.
Mr Clark... I did mean trick - not hours of hard work. Don't know if I've got that much love! :)