Rusty Socket Heads - Is Replacement the Only Option?

Dansky

Jan 25, 2010
I'm getting a lot of rusty socket heads (aka socket caps) on both of my road bikes now, and was wondering if replacement is the only recommended option.

I carefully cleaned them out with a Q-tip, some CLR, and a bit of metal polish the other day, but as soon as I rode again the rust made a reappearance. When the rest of the bike looks nice and clean, I find the rust unsightly....perhaps it's still the Marine in me. (Rust = Unsatisfactory)

Originally Posted by Dansky .

I'm getting a lot of rusty socket heads (aka socket caps) on both of my road bikes now, and was wondering if replacement is the only recommended option.

I carefully cleaned them out with a Q-tip, some CLR, and a bit of metal polish the other day, but as soon as I rode again the rust made a reappearance. When the rest of the bike looks nice and clean, I find the rust unsightly....perhaps it's still the Marine in me. (Rust = Unsatisfactory)
Assume you're talking about socket head screws, say on the handlebar clamp or seatpost clamp? I'd say if they are rusty, replace them while you can. If the heads of the screws are rusting, you may have dissimilar metal corrosion under the heads, which might make removal tough. You can probably buy replacement screws in stainless steel, but the dissimilar metal corrosion issue will continue with those. If the corrosion is happening in storage, moving the bikes to a drier location would be the ticket.