Rusty tools...

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by John Harlow, Oct 20, 2003.

  1. John Harlow

    John Harlow Guest

    Last year I got the Crank bro's "Multi 17" from my LBS. It was the best multitool I'd used to date,
    but it shared the same problem I had with previous tools: rust. There is always a quite a bit of
    moisture in my camelbak (from quite a few sources). I've tried plastic bags but they just seem to
    trap the moisture.

    Ideally I'd prefer stainless steel - anyone know of a stainless steel set? Or is it not an
    appropriate material for tools?

    What have you found to solve this?

    Perhaps it's time for a better camelbak with exterior pockets...

    Tags:

  2. On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 14:13:50 +0000, John Harlow wrote:

    > Perhaps it's time for a better camelbak with exterior pockets...

    Maybe. I got a waterproof toilet bag and strapped that to my 'bak. Not only does it hold my camera
    and some food and tools, but it keeps everything nice and dry. Even after being covered in spray.

    Bit of a shady solution but it works for me.

    --
    Matt

    Fear of a flat planet

  3. Ouch

    Ouch Guest

    >Last year I got the Crank bro's "Multi 17" from my LBS. It was the best multitool I'd used to date,
    >but it shared the same problem I had with previous tools: rust. There is always a quite a bit of
    >moisture in my camelbak (from quite a few sources). I've tried plastic bags but they just seem to
    >trap the moisture.
    >
    >Ideally I'd prefer stainless steel - anyone know of a stainless steel set? Or is it not an
    >appropriate material for tools?
    >
    >What have you found to solve this?
    >
    >Perhaps it's time for a better camelbak with exterior pockets...

    Even 'stainless' steel isn't totally rustproof. It'll cope better under moist conditions than higher
    carbon steel but will still rust.

    You could consider a wedge style saddle bag. No sweat + no leakage from the camelbak, etc. That's
    where I keep my tools when I ride.

  4. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "John Harlow" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Last year I got the Crank bro's "Multi 17" from my LBS. It was the best multitool I'd used to
    > date, but it shared the same problem I had with previous tools: rust. There is always a quite a
    > bit of moisture in my camelbak (from quite a few sources). I've tried plastic bags but they just
    > seem to trap the moisture.
    >
    > Ideally I'd prefer stainless steel - anyone know of a stainless steel set? Or is it not an
    > appropriate material for tools?
    >
    > What have you found to solve this?
    >
    > Perhaps it's time for a better camelbak with exterior pockets...

    First off, multitools are a joke.

    Ever own a gun? A very light coating of gun oil or likewse product and regular inspection would
    alleviate your "problem".

    JD

  5. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On 20 Oct 2003 10:42:58 -0700, JD wrote:

    > First off, multitools are a joke.

    They're not bad as a "second" tool, to use along with a set of real allan wrenches and a couple
    other small tools. I wouldn't want to use them as my primary tools, though - trail maintenance is
    already challenging enough!

    > Ever own a gun? A very light coating of gun oil or likewse product and regular inspection would
    > alleviate your "problem".

    Probably any light oil will work. Another advantage of carrying real tools is that they get used for
    non-trail maintenance, and thus get occasional cleanings themselves.

  6. John Harlow

    John Harlow Guest

    > First off, multitools are a joke.

    No one laughs when they save the ride.

    > Ever own a gun? A very light coating of gun oil or likewse product and regular inspection would
    > alleviate your "problem".

    Yep, I've tried the light oiling, but by the time I get around to using it again (which is
    fortunately quite infrequently) the protection has long worn off and corrosion has set in. Having
    many interests leaves little time for maintenance.

    Admittedly this is by no means a huge problem - I'm simply interested in seeing what has worked for
    others. $20 for a multitool every year or so is not a big deal - but I'd rather spend a little more
    and cure the problem, not the symptom. So far, the best solution seems to be a 'bak with better
    storage options.

  7. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    John Harlow wrote:
    > Last year I got the Crank bro's "Multi 17" from my LBS. It was the best multitool I'd used to
    > date, but it shared the same problem I had with previous tools: rust. There is always a quite a
    > bit of moisture in my camelbak (from quite a few sources). I've tried plastic bags but they just
    > seem to trap the moisture.
    >
    > Ideally I'd prefer stainless steel - anyone know of a stainless steel set? Or is it not an
    > appropriate material for tools?
    >
    > What have you found to solve this?
    >
    > Perhaps it's time for a better camelbak with exterior pockets...

    Stainless that's hard enough to be used for tools isn't stainless -- it rusts. I had the same
    experience with plastic bags. I started putting mine in an outside pocket and they stopped rusting
    -- even though I ride in the water, rain, etc.

    David