Rusty tools...

John Harlow

Guest
Last year I got the Crank bro's "Multi 17" from my LBS. It was the best multitool I'd used to date,
but it shared the same problem I had with previous tools: rust. There is always a quite a bit of
moisture in my camelbak (from quite a few sources). I've tried plastic bags but they just seem to
trap the moisture.

Ideally I'd prefer stainless steel - anyone know of a stainless steel set? Or is it not an
appropriate material for tools?

What have you found to solve this?

Perhaps it's time for a better camelbak with exterior pockets...

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 14:13:50 +0000, John Harlow wrote:

> Perhaps it's time for a better camelbak with exterior pockets...

Maybe. I got a waterproof toilet bag and strapped that to my 'bak. Not only does it hold my camera
and some food and tools, but it keeps everything nice and dry. Even after being covered in spray.

Bit of a shady solution but it works for me.

--
Matt

Fear of a flat planet

>Last year I got the Crank bro's "Multi 17" from my LBS. It was the best multitool I'd used to date,
>but it shared the same problem I had with previous tools: rust. There is always a quite a bit of
>moisture in my camelbak (from quite a few sources). I've tried plastic bags but they just seem to
>trap the moisture.
>
>Ideally I'd prefer stainless steel - anyone know of a stainless steel set? Or is it not an
>appropriate material for tools?
>
>What have you found to solve this?
>
>Perhaps it's time for a better camelbak with exterior pockets...

Even 'stainless' steel isn't totally rustproof. It'll cope better under moist conditions than higher
carbon steel but will still rust.

You could consider a wedge style saddle bag. No sweat + no leakage from the camelbak, etc. That's
where I keep my tools when I ride.

"John Harlow" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Last year I got the Crank bro's "Multi 17" from my LBS. It was the best multitool I'd used to
> date, but it shared the same problem I had with previous tools: rust. There is always a quite a
> bit of moisture in my camelbak (from quite a few sources). I've tried plastic bags but they just
> seem to trap the moisture.
>
> Ideally I'd prefer stainless steel - anyone know of a stainless steel set? Or is it not an
> appropriate material for tools?
>
> What have you found to solve this?
>
> Perhaps it's time for a better camelbak with exterior pockets...

First off, multitools are a joke.

Ever own a gun? A very light coating of gun oil or likewse product and regular inspection would
alleviate your "problem".

JD

On 20 Oct 2003 10:42:58 -0700, JD wrote:

> First off, multitools are a joke.

They're not bad as a "second" tool, to use along with a set of real allan wrenches and a couple
other small tools. I wouldn't want to use them as my primary tools, though - trail maintenance is
already challenging enough!

> Ever own a gun? A very light coating of gun oil or likewse product and regular inspection would
> alleviate your "problem".

Probably any light oil will work. Another advantage of carrying real tools is that they get used for
non-trail maintenance, and thus get occasional cleanings themselves.

> First off, multitools are a joke.

No one laughs when they save the ride.

> Ever own a gun? A very light coating of gun oil or likewse product and regular inspection would
> alleviate your "problem".

Yep, I've tried the light oiling, but by the time I get around to using it again (which is
fortunately quite infrequently) the protection has long worn off and corrosion has set in. Having
many interests leaves little time for maintenance.

Admittedly this is by no means a huge problem - I'm simply interested in seeing what has worked for
others. $20 for a multitool every year or so is not a big deal - but I'd rather spend a little more
and cure the problem, not the symptom. So far, the best solution seems to be a 'bak with better
storage options.

John Harlow wrote:
> Last year I got the Crank bro's "Multi 17" from my LBS. It was the best multitool I'd used to
> date, but it shared the same problem I had with previous tools: rust. There is always a quite a
> bit of moisture in my camelbak (from quite a few sources). I've tried plastic bags but they just
> seem to trap the moisture.
>
> Ideally I'd prefer stainless steel - anyone know of a stainless steel set? Or is it not an
> appropriate material for tools?
>
> What have you found to solve this?
>
> Perhaps it's time for a better camelbak with exterior pockets...

Stainless that's hard enough to be used for tools isn't stainless -- it rusts. I had the same
experience with plastic bags. I started putting mine in an outside pocket and they stopped rusting
-- even though I ride in the water, rain, etc.

David