RVV route visit guidance, please

JRMDC

Apr 26, 2005
I will have a free day in Brussels soon, Sunday June 4. I had thought of renting a car and driving the route of the Ronde, but timing is not so good and I have been talked out of it - my host does not like the idea of someone inexperienced in Belgian driving heading off into the countryside, and they are not around to rescue me on Sunday. :) I shall take their advice, with some regret.

But, I would like to go see at least one climb, preferably cobbled. Ideally, it would be nice to stroll the climb and the town, and stop for beer/fries/whatever. So I am wondering about the possibility of taking a train from Brussels and seeing something. Is this possible? What is the simplest trip to make?

JRMDC said:
I will have a free day in Brussels soon, Sunday June 4. I had thought of renting a car and driving the route of the Ronde, but timing is not so good and I have been talked out of it - my host does not like the idea of someone inexperienced in Belgian driving heading off into the countryside, and they are not around to rescue me on Sunday. :) I shall take their advice, with some regret.

But, I would like to go see at least one climb, preferably cobbled. Ideally, it would be nice to stroll the climb and the town, and stop for beer/fries/whatever. So I am wondering about the possibility of taking a train from Brussels and seeing something. Is this possible? What is the simplest trip to make?
One last try, maybe people are no longer distracted by the Giro, anyone have any useful information? Thanks.

Well, I did some online research, and the only accessible option seems to be the Muur in Geraardsbergen, roughly one hour by train from Brussels Midi. And it's cobbled. It appears that much of the Ronde's climbs are not in/near towns with train stations. The Koppenberg might be an alternative, maybe a much longer walk from a station, hard to tell right now. But as it seems less accessible and the Muur is of greater strategic importance (though perhaps too late in the race?), it appears I will head there, unless I hear other suggestions.

JRMDC said:
Well, I did some online research, and the only accessible option seems to be the Muur in Geraardsbergen, roughly one hour by train from Brussels Midi. And it's cobbled. It appears that much of the Ronde's climbs are not in/near towns with train stations. The Koppenberg might be an alternative, maybe a much longer walk from a station, hard to tell right now. But as it seems less accessible and the Muur is of greater strategic importance (though perhaps too late in the race?), it appears I will head there, unless I hear other suggestions.

That would be an excellent place to visit - hasn't been the decisive selection recently, but it definitely has been in the past. And the Bosberg isn't far from there either.

Following the route isnt that hard since the local government decided that the race was of cultural significance and signposted it so anyone could follow it. just follow the road signs and you'l be fine:)

superdanuk said:
Following the route isnt that hard since the local government decided that the race was of cultural significance and signposted it so anyone could follow it. just follow the road signs and you'l be fine:)
Thanks, I'll remember that for next time. For this time I will have neither car nor bicycle and will have to do what I can on foot.

Neat that the govt did that. :)