RVV, some thoughts

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Kurgan Gringion, Apr 6, 2003.

  1. How many beers will legendary partier Van Petegem drink tonite? Or will he try to save something for
    Paris-Roubaix?

    O'Grady getting third. Would not have predicted that.

    Guesdon seemed like he was doing some forcing. The French may actually have someone to cheer
    for at P-R.

    Ekimov. Riding well for a Masters-Fattie-eligible racer.

    At this time last year, Ekimov was sitting on the couch in frozen Russia. Vandenbroucke Doggy
    Dogg was doing god knows what. In Ekimov's case it shows how experience and talent can overcome
    circumstances while in Vandenbroucke's case it shows how experience and talent can overcome
    lack of focus.

    Celestino finished last out of the 9 man chase group. In the group behind, he had 3 teamates in a
    group of 6. Was he working? Was the DS feeding him the correct race situation? It actually matters
    in this case due to World Cup points (he got 2nd in M-SR). If he had finished higher in his group,
    he could be in the WC jersey.

    Tags:

  2. Baldini

    Baldini Guest

    > Guesdon seemed like he was doing some forcing. The French may actually
    have
    > someone to cheer for at P-R.

    Just like 1997.

  3. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    "Kurgan Gringioni" wrote:
    > O'Grady getting third. Would not have predicted that.

    Surprised me too, but he nearly won the green jersey at the 2001 TdF so he has some qualities.

    > Guesdon seemed like he was doing some forcing. The French may actually
    have
    > someone to cheer for at P-R.

    It's pretty amusing listening to the announcers. Whether the best-placed Frenchmann is sixth,
    sixteenth, or sixtieth they describe him as the future of French cycling.

    > Celestino finished last out of the 9 man chase group. In the group behind, he had 3 teamates in a
    > group of 6. Was he working? Was the DS feeding him the correct race situation? It actually matters
    > in this case due to World Cup points (he got 2nd in M-SR). If he had finished higher in his group,
    he
    > could be in the WC jersey.

    They didn't show a huge amount of the chase group after the Muur, but if Celestino wasn't working he
    hid it well. There were nine teams represented in the nine-man chase group, and there was a
    two-minute gap back to the third group. I don't know what kind of sprint Celestino has but I got the
    impression O'Grady was working as minimally as possible in the chase.

  4. "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Kurgan Gringioni" wrote:
    > > O'Grady getting third. Would not have predicted that.
    >
    > Surprised me too, but he nearly won the green jersey at the 2001 TdF so he has some qualities.
    >
    > > Guesdon seemed like he was doing some forcing. The French may actually
    > have
    > > someone to cheer for at P-R.
    >
    > It's pretty amusing listening to the announcers. Whether the best-placed Frenchmann is sixth,
    > sixteenth, or sixtieth they describe him as the
    future
    > of French cycling.

    They are very nationalistic, host the world's biggest bike race and have no racer to hang
    their hat on.

    Desperate times call for desperate measures.

  5. "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Kurgan Gringioni" wrote:
    > > O'Grady getting third. Would not have predicted that.
    >
    > Surprised me too, but he nearly won the green jersey at the 2001 TdF so he has some qualities.

    Sprinters have finished well here before (notably Zabel), but this year was a selective race. There
    weren't 40 guys there at the end. Notice where all the other sprinters ended up. Mr. O'Grady, the
    Classics man?

  6. Robert Chung <[email protected]> schreef in berichtnieuws
    [email protected]

    > "Kurgan Gringioni" wrote:
    > > O'Grady getting third. Would not have predicted that.
    >
    > Surprised me too, but he nearly won the green jersey at the 2001 TdF so he has some qualities.
    >
    > > Guesdon seemed like he was doing some forcing. The French may actually
    > have
    > > someone to cheer for at P-R.
    >
    > It's pretty amusing listening to the announcers. Whether the best-placed Frenchmann is sixth,
    > sixteenth, or sixtieth they describe him as the
    future
    > of French cycling.

    Fair enough. The future of French cycling does not necessarily have to look good.

  7. On Mon, 7 Apr 2003, Kurgan Gringioni wrote:

    > "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "Kurgan Gringioni" wrote:
    > > > O'Grady getting third. Would not have predicted that.
    > >
    > > Surprised me too, but he nearly won the green jersey at the 2001 TdF so he has some qualities.
    >

    > Sprinters have finished well here before (notably Zabel), but this year was a selective race.
    > There weren't 40 guys there at the end. Notice where all the other sprinters ended up. Mr.
    > O'Grady, the Classics man?

    But as rider 'types' are concerned, O'Grady isn't purely a sprinter, especially as he is getting
    further into his career.

    The Ronde seems to be a good race for this kind of rider - a sprinter who isn't quite 'pure,' if you
    will. Baldato has a very good record at the race, and then of course there is Museeuw.

    -CM

  8. "christopher a moyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...

    > On Mon, 7 Apr 2003, Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
    >

    > > "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...

    > > > Surprised me too, but he nearly won the green jersey at the 2001 TdF
    so he
    > > > has some qualities.
    > >

    > > Sprinters have finished well here before (notably Zabel), but this year
    was
    > > a selective race. There weren't 40 guys there at the end. Notice where
    all
    > > the other sprinters ended up. Mr. O'Grady, the Classics man?
    >

    > But as rider 'types' are concerned, O'Grady isn't purely a sprinter, especially as he is getting
    > further into his career.

    Agreed. I thought O'Grady showed some effort in the last mountain stage of the TDF last year,
    getting into break and poaching some sprint points.

    -T

  9. Garry Allen

    Garry Allen Guest

    > "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "Kurgan Gringioni" wrote:
    > > > O'Grady getting third. Would not have predicted that.
    > >
    > > Surprised me too, but he nearly won the green jersey at the 2001 TdF so he has some qualities.
    >

    > Sprinters have finished well here before (notably Zabel), but this year was a selective race.
    > There weren't 40 guys there at the end. Notice where all the other sprinters ended up. Mr.
    > O'Grady, the Classics man?
    I have to sya that I was surprised to read the live report on Cyclingnews on Monday morning. He has
    had a pretty good season so far this year. He won the Australian championship in a 3 way sprint
    against Allan Davis and Patrick Jonker after they formed a breakaway with 2 laps to go
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2003/jan03/auschamps03/?id=menRR#start He has also shown in the
    past that he can survive over the smaller climbs (upto about 600m) and win shorter stage races such
    as the Prudential Tour and the Tour Downunder and he was part of that 14 man breakaway a couple of
    years ago in the Tour where everyone including LAAAAAANCE should have been disqualified for
    finishing outside the time limit. I am not sure but I am wondering if he is the first Australian to
    finish on the podium of a world cup race? Phil Anderson finished second in the RVV but that was a
    few years before the creation of the World Cup Garry Allen Australian Champions Jersey = top year
    of results?

  10. "Garry Allen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > time limit. I am not sure but I am wondering if he is the first Australian to finish on the podium
    > of a world cup race? Phil
    Anderson
    > finished second in the RVV but that was a few years before the creation of the World Cup

    Also, Anderson won the Amstel Gold Race before it became part of the World Cup and made the podium
    of Liege-Bastogne-Liege at least once.

    JT

    NB: reply-to address is munged

    Visit http://www.jt10000.com

  11. Peter Vesel

    Peter Vesel Guest

    I think Henk Vogels ran third at Paris Tours a few years back as well.

    Peter

    "Jonathan v.d. Sluis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Robert Chung <[email protected]> schreef in berichtnieuws
    > [email protected]
    > >
    > > "Kurgan Gringioni" wrote:
    > > > O'Grady getting third. Would not have predicted that.
    > >
    > > Surprised me too, but he nearly won the green jersey at the 2001 TdF so
    he
    > > has some qualities.
    > >
    > > > Guesdon seemed like he was doing some forcing. The French may actually
    > > have
    > > > someone to cheer for at P-R.
    > >
    > > It's pretty amusing listening to the announcers. Whether the best-placed Frenchmann is sixth,
    > > sixteenth, or sixtieth they describe him as the
    > future
    > > of French cycling.
    >
    > Fair enough. The future of French cycling does not necessarily have to
    look
    > good.

  12. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    "Jonathan v.d. Sluis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Robert Chung <[email protected]> schreef
    > >
    > > > Guesdon seemed like he was doing some forcing. The French may actually have someone to cheer
    > > > for at P-R.
    > >
    > > It's pretty amusing listening to the announcers. Whether the best-placed Frenchmann is sixth,
    > > sixteenth, or sixtieth they describe him as the
    > > future of French cycling.
    >
    > Fair enough. The future of French cycling does not necessarily have to look good.

    Yeah, that's absolutely correct. Looks like a bleak period for the French. However, Guesdon already
    won P-R (and was the last Frenchman to do so).

  13. Peter Vesel

    Peter Vesel Guest

    Vogels 3rd at Tours in 1997. Anderson 2nd in 1990 this would have been World Cup too

    "Peter Vesel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I think Henk Vogels ran third at Paris Tours a few years back as well.
    >
    > Peter
    >

    > "Jonathan v.d. Sluis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Robert Chung <[email protected]> schreef in berichtnieuws
    > > [email protected]

    > > > Surprised me too, but he nearly won the green jersey at the 2001 TdF
    so
    > he
    > > > has some qualities.

    > > > have
    > > >
    > > > It's pretty amusing listening to the announcers. Whether the
    best-placed
    > > > Frenchmann is sixth, sixteenth, or sixtieth they describe him as the
    > > future
    > > > of French cycling.
    > >
    > > Fair enough. The future of French cycling does not necessarily have to
    > look
    > > good.

  14. "christopher a moyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:pine.GSO.4.31.0304071643240.9887-1000[email protected]...

    > On Mon, 7 Apr 2003, Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
    >

    > > "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...

    > > > Surprised me too, but he nearly won the green jersey at the 2001 TdF
    so he
    > > > has some qualities.
    > >

    > > Sprinters have finished well here before (notably Zabel), but this year
    was
    > > a selective race. There weren't 40 guys there at the end. Notice where
    all
    > > the other sprinters ended up. Mr. O'Grady, the Classics man?
    >

    > But as rider 'types' are concerned, O'Grady isn't purely a sprinter, especially as he is getting
    > further into his career.
    >
    > The Ronde seems to be a good race for this kind of rider - a sprinter who isn't quite 'pure,' if
    > you will. Baldato has a very good record at the race, and then of course there is Museeuw.

    This is the first time O'Grady has shown it.

    from: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/?id=2003/apr03/apr10news2

    O'Grady gears up for Roubaix

    Enjoying a few days off for some redecorating in his Toulouse, France home, Australian Stuart
    O'Grady (Crédit Agricole) is looking forward to Sunday's Paris-Roubaix. O'Grady took advantage of
    his excellent condition last weekend in the Tour of Flanders, where he won the bunch sprint for
    third place behind Peter Van Petegem and Frank Vandenbroucke.

    "I've had a couple of days to recover from Flanders," O'Grady explained, "and I've needed it because
    I had to dig so deep on Sunday that it's buckled me for the last couple of days."

    His first ever podium place in a World Cup classic has provided an enormous boost to his confidence,
    and a bit of a shock. "I sat back and realised what I'd done and it's given me a whole new outlook
    on races that I, realistically, didn't ever consider I could get a result in."

    <snip><end