Rwplacement rear mech cage.

hammex

Mar 7, 2007
I've bashed my shimano 105 gs and bent the cage. Can I get a replacement cage or do i have to buy a new mech? I can't find a replacement easily by googling etc. Anyone know a spare shop that might do it?

hammex said:
I've bashed my shimano 105 gs and bent the cage. Can I get a replacement cage or do i have to buy a new mech? I can't find a replacement easily by googling etc. Anyone know a spare shop that might do it?

A shop may have an otherwise toasted rear derailluer but no parts available. Just get a new RD, not expensive.

Peter@vecchios said:
A shop may have an otherwise toasted rear derailluer but no parts available. Just get a new RD, not expensive.
ok thanks.

hammex said:
FWIW. To elaborate on what Peter is saying (if it isn't obvious) -- the cost of the parts + (in particular) the labor are probably in excess of the cost of a replacement rear derailleur ...

MOST of the Shimano cages are interchangeable; so, YOU can probably cannibalize a cage from another-or-less expensive Shimano rear derailleur if you(-or-a-shop) happen(s) to have an "old" Shimano rear derailleur from which you can borrow the cage & YOU are handy (i.e., you would be doing the 'work', yourself).

BTW. If your 105 rear derailleur is a 9-speed, then you can replace it with almost ANY 8-/9-speed Shimano rear derailleur.

N.B. Check your frame's rear derailleur hanger to ensure that 'it' isn't what is bent ... the frame's rear deraillur hanger (when viewed from behind the rear wheel) should be parallel to the rear wheel ... if the rear derailleur hanger has been bent, then replacing the rear derailleur will not resolve your current problem.

The derailleur hanger on steel frame can be realigned (have your shop do this). On an alloy OR carbon frame, the frame may-or-may-not have a replaceable hanger which would need to be replaced (if the former case).