Rx Inserts on Wrap-around Shades

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by joel roth, Jan 28, 2005.

  1. joel roth

    joel roth Guest

    Any comments on the Rx inserts/adapters for wrap-around sunglasses? I
    wear glasses (no contacts). I'm thinking about purchasing Rudy shades
    (or similar) with inserts. Where to you get the inserts? from your local
    optician?

    Do you recommend the insert system?

    Follow-up question: Do the inserts come in bi-focals? (old eyes)

    Thanks.

    Joel

    Tags:

  2. gds

    gds Guest

    The inserts come with the sunglasses and any optician can put in Rx
    lenses. I've used them with bi focals, but I did make the bifocal part
    smaller than normal as you don't tend to do a lot reading with them.

  3. Jeff Starr

    Jeff Starr Guest

    On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 09:42:08 -0600, joel roth
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Any comments on the Rx inserts/adapters for wrap-around sunglasses? I
    >wear glasses (no contacts). I'm thinking about purchasing Rudy shades
    >(or similar) with inserts. Where to you get the inserts? from your local
    >optician?
    >
    >Do you recommend the insert system?
    >
    >Follow-up question: Do the inserts come in bi-focals? (old eyes)
    >
    >Thanks.
    >
    >Joel

    Hi, I have a pair of Tifosi zoom with insert[glasses $30, insert $15,
    lenses $80]and with the addition of two small pads midway across each
    lense, on the top. they work fine. I started with the Tifosi because
    it was an inexpensive way to try out inserts.
    I now have a pair of Rudy Project Kerosene Premiums w/insert. Those I
    had made up with progressive bifocal. The only time I found that I
    really need the bifocals, while riding, is the occassional repair,
    such as a flat tire, etc.
    I like both pair and I have had no problems, with either.

    Life is Good!
    Jeff

  4. joel roth

    joel roth Guest

    Jeff-
    Thanks. Where did you get the progressive insert lens, from your local
    optical shop?

    Joel

    Jeff Starr wrote:

    >On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 09:42:08 -0600, joel roth
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>Any comments on the Rx inserts/adapters for wrap-around sunglasses? I
    >>wear glasses (no contacts). I'm thinking about purchasing Rudy shades
    >>(or similar) with inserts. Where to you get the inserts? from your local
    >>optician?
    >>
    >>Do you recommend the insert system?
    >>
    >>Follow-up question: Do the inserts come in bi-focals? (old eyes)
    >>
    >>Thanks.
    >>
    >>Joel
    >>

    >Hi, I have a pair of Tifosi zoom with insert[glasses $30, insert $15,
    >lenses $80]and with the addition of two small pads midway across each
    >lense, on the top. they work fine. I started with the Tifosi because
    >it was an inexpensive way to try out inserts.
    >I now have a pair of Rudy Project Kerosene Premiums w/insert. Those I
    >had made up with progressive bifocal. The only time I found that I
    >really need the bifocals, while riding, is the occassional repair,
    >such as a flat tire, etc.
    >I like both pair and I have had no problems, with either.
    >

    >Life is Good!
    >Jeff

  5. Diablo Scott

    Diablo Scott Guest

    joel roth wrote:
    > Jeff-
    > Thanks. Where did you get the progressive insert lens, from your local
    > optical shop?
    >
    > Joel
    >
    > Jeff Starr wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 09:42:08 -0600, joel roth
    >><[email protected]> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Any comments on the Rx inserts/adapters for wrap-around sunglasses? I
    >>>wear glasses (no contacts). I'm thinking about purchasing Rudy shades
    >>>(or similar) with inserts. Where to you get the inserts? from your local
    >>>optician?
    >>>
    >>>Do you recommend the insert system?
    >>>
    >>>Follow-up question: Do the inserts come in bi-focals? (old eyes)
    >>>
    >>>Thanks.
    >>>
    >>>Joel
    >>>

    >>Hi, I have a pair of Tifosi zoom with insert[glasses $30, insert $15,
    >>lenses $80]and with the addition of two small pads midway across each
    >>lense, on the top. they work fine. I started with the Tifosi because
    >>it was an inexpensive way to try out inserts.
    >>I now have a pair of Rudy Project Kerosene Premiums w/insert. Those I
    >>had made up with progressive bifocal. The only time I found that I
    >>really need the bifocals, while riding, is the occassional repair,
    >>such as a flat tire, etc.
    >>I like both pair and I have had no problems, with either.
    >>

    >>Life is Good!
    >>Jeff

    My optician balked at putting bifocals on the inserts to my Bolles
    (didnt' buy them there, but they sell similar models). Said the inserts
    were too small to get good results. He may have been thinking
    progressives since I have those in my regular glasses but I think I'll
    insist on getting the standard line-through-the-middle bifocal inserts
    next time because... well because I need 'em for my computer, HRM, and
    maps. I ride frequently in my regular progressive glasses and the
    prescription doesn't bother me despite the warnings.

    --
    My bike blog:
    http://diabloscott.blogspot.com/

  6. Patrick Lamb

    Patrick Lamb Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Any comments on the Rx inserts/adapters for wrap-around sunglasses? I
    >wear glasses (no contacts). I'm thinking about purchasing Rudy shades
    >(or similar) with inserts. Where to you get the inserts? from your local
    >optician?
    >
    >Do you recommend the insert system?
    >
    >Follow-up question: Do the inserts come in bi-focals? (old eyes)

    FWIW, I save my old (no bifocals) glasses for yard work and cycling.
    In the yard, I don't have to hang my head down so far to see my feet,
    or whatever else is on the ground. On the bike, it's easier to figure
    out which gear I'm in when I can actually SEE the gears.

    Pat

    Email address works as is.

  7. Jeff Starr

    Jeff Starr Guest

    On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 11:16:15 -0600, joel roth
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Jeff-
    >Thanks. Where did you get the progressive insert lens, from your local
    >optical shop?
    >
    >Joel

    Hi, yes at a Stein Optical.The one tech didn't want to do it, but
    there was a second tech, who said he liked a challenge.
    The hard part can be marking them [the insert lense] for the proper
    transistion. With the rudy Project Kerosene you can remove the lense
    and then they have access to the insert.

    Life is Good!
    Jeff

  8. On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 09:42:08 -0600 in rec.bicycles.misc, joel
    roth <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Any comments on the Rx inserts/adapters for wrap-around sunglasses? I
    > wear glasses (no contacts). I'm thinking about purchasing Rudy shades
    > (or similar) with inserts. Where to you get the inserts? from your local
    > optician?
    >
    > Do you recommend the insert system?
    >
    > Follow-up question: Do the inserts come in bi-focals? (old eyes)

    the folks i know who tried it used the the performance bike house
    brand. they were happy with them. the inserts are frames that
    you take to your optician, who installs the lenses in them.

    and the performance glasses were half or a third the price of
    rudys or oakleys.

  9. MBillon

    MBillon Guest

    I have the Bolle Parole with Rx inserts and use them all the time. I did not
    get the bifocals, and regret not trying to put a bifocal lens in, since I have
    a really hard time reading the route sheets on club rides. I had the lenses
    done when I bought my new glasses, and the doctor that did my glasses gave me a
    good price on the inserts.

  10. Bill

    Bill Guest

    "MBillon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I have the Bolle Parole with Rx inserts and use them all the time. I did

    not
    > get the bifocals, and regret not trying to put a bifocal lens in, since I

    have
    > a really hard time reading the route sheets on club rides. I had the

    lenses
    > done when I bought my new glasses, and the doctor that did my glasses gave

    me a
    > good price on the inserts.

    I've been using the Bolle Parole w/insert for 5/6 years and a different
    Bolle w/insert for several years prior to that. I convinced my optician to
    put a very small bifocal area in for reading maps and menus and it has
    worked out very well. Also, I chose to use a very inexpensive plastic lens
    because it is protected by the polycarbonate outer lens. Has worked very
    well.
    Bill Brannon