Ryan/Longbikes Dublex experiences?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Scott, Mar 12, 2003.

  1. Scott

    Scott Guest

    Hi Duplex owners: I'm dreaming of another tandem for my wife and me, something a little more
    portable than the GTT, and I see on the Longbike website that the Duplex comes with S&S couplers
    standard. With the seats off, that would be a pretty compact package. Sooooo, just wondering what
    your experience has been--handling, hill climbing, slow/high speed, etc. BTW, how heavy is this
    glorious beast? Thanks!

    Scott Hooked on Bents

    Tags:

  2. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Scott wrote:

    > Hi Duplex owners: I'm dreaming of another tandem for my wife and me, something a little more
    > portable than the GTT, and I see on the Longbike website that the Duplex comes with S&S couplers
    > standard. With the seats off, that would be a pretty compact package. Sooooo, just wondering what
    > your experience has been--handling, hill climbing, slow/high speed, etc. BTW, how heavy is this
    > glorious beast? Thanks!
    >
    > Scott Hooked on Bents

    As an aside, this bike was originally named the Ryan Fleetwood, until the lawyers at GM complained
    about trademark infringement.

  3. John Riley

    John Riley Guest

    FWIW Note that the Rans Screamer han also be had with S&S couplers.

    John Riley

    Scott wrote:

    > Hi Duplex owners: I'm dreaming of another tandem for my wife and me, something a little more
    > portable than the GTT, and I see on the Longbike website that the Duplex comes with S&S couplers
    > standard. With the seats off, that would be a pretty compact package. Sooooo, just wondering what
    > your experience has been--handling, hill climbing, slow/high speed, etc. BTW, how heavy is this
    > glorious beast? Thanks!
    >
    > Scott Hooked on Bents

  4. Ron Friedel

    Ron Friedel Guest

    We have a Fleetwood which we bought second hand in 1996. We had a Burley Duet upright tandem for
    perhaps 5 years before that.

    High speed downhills are just wonderful. My wife Sandy didn't like downhills on the Burley but once
    on the Fleetwood she leaned forward to get better into my wind shadow for even greater speed
    downhill. We topped out a 49 and I was braking to keep from passing a guy on an upright in a full
    aero tuck. I was concerned about the wind buffeting on both him and us.

    With strong and committed riders, uphills are no problem. I've even ridden the beast as a solo bike
    on tours in the past at good speed. We've ridden it in a big charity ride, the Miller Ride for the
    Arts in Milwaukee, for the last four or five years with no problems. Handling is not a problem but
    then again I'm a very experienced cyclist.

    The bike weighs about 55 pounds with a rear rack, fenders and kickstand. Visions and Screamers also
    weigh 50+ pounds.

    Ron

    "Scott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi Duplex owners: I'm dreaming of another tandem for my wife and me, something a little more
    > portable than the GTT, and I see on the Longbike website that the Duplex comes with S&S couplers
    > standard. With the seats off, that would be a pretty compact package. Sooooo, just wondering what
    > your experience has been--handling, hill climbing, slow/high speed, etc. BTW, how heavy is this
    > glorious beast? Thanks!
    >
    > Scott Hooked on Bents

  5. [email protected] (Scott) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi Duplex owners: I'm dreaming of another tandem for my wife and me, something a little more
    > portable than the GTT, and I see on the Longbike website that the Duplex comes with S&S couplers
    > standard. With the seats off, that would be a pretty compact package. Sooooo, just wondering what
    > your experience has been--handling, hill climbing, slow/high speed, etc. BTW, how heavy is this
    > glorious beast? Thanks!
    >
    > Scott Hooked on Bents

    Scott,

    My wife and I ride a duplex. Have been for about 6 months. You can see a picture of it at

    http://www.crazyphoto.com/2003/0209LCC/Lcc7/LCC70038.html and
    http://www.crazyphoto.com/2003/0209LCC/Lcc3/LCC30027.html

    We are casual riders and are definitely not speed demons. We cruise along at about 12-13 mph on the
    flats. The bike handles beautifully at slow/high speed. The second picture was taken at the top of a
    rise. If you look forwards and backwards on the slide show you will notice a lot of people ended up
    walking up the road. My wife and I cruised right up it at about 4-5 mph.

    Also road with my wife this last Sunday. At the end of the 20 mile ride she said "You know, I feel
    like we should just keep riding" Even my wife is getting addicted.

    Side note: if you look through the slide show of the Leveen ride, you will see over 30 people riding
    recumbents, including two tandems. It was a fun ride.

    Bill (Aero Belly) Meacham Mesa, AZ

  6. Paul Bruneau

    Paul Bruneau Guest

    Tom Sherman wrote:
    > Scott wrote:
    >
    >>Hi Duplex owners: I'm dreaming of another tandem for my wife and me, something a little more
    >>portable than the GTT, and I see on the Longbike website that the Duplex comes with S&S couplers
    >>standard. With the seats off, that would be a pretty compact package. Sooooo, just wondering what
    >>your experience has been--handling, hill climbing, slow/high speed, etc. BTW, how heavy is this
    >>glorious beast? Thanks!
    >>
    >>Scott Hooked on Bents
    >

    > As an aside, this bike was originally named the Ryan Fleetwood, until the lawyers at GM complained
    > about trademark infringement.

    Sorry, Tom, you're wrong (I love saying that! :). No GM lawyer ever contacted Ryan. Ryan's own
    lawyer advised him to change it proactively.

    It was the Rolls Royce lawyer who contacted Ryan regarding the RR logo.

    <shameless plug> You can find this and much more great Ryan information at
    http://ryanownersclub.com/ </shameless plug>

    PB 1996 Vanguard

  7. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    John Riley wrote:

    > FWIW Note that the Rans Screamer han also be had with S&S couplers.

    And there is the folding Green Gear (Bike Friday) DoubleDay which is price competitive ($3750 base
    price) with other high-end recumbent tandems. < http://www.bikefriday.com/bikecat99.cfm?cat=8 >

    If the weather is decent, I will be riding on a DoubleDay this weekend.

  8. Skip

    Skip Guest

    > If the weather is decent, I will be riding on a DoubleDay this weekend.

    A ride report on this tandem would be good. Hope you have decent weather.

    Skip

  9. Scott

    Scott Guest

    Tom: Sounds great. Please report to the group about your experience with the DoubleDay!

    Scott