Ryanair and bicycles

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Martin Burchell, Sep 8, 2004.

  1. From http://www.ryanair.com/faqs/travel.html?id=6l

    "The pedals must be removed (or fixed inwards). The handlebars must be
    fixed sideways. The bike should be contained in a protective box or bag.
    It is not necessary from a safety perspective to deflate typical tyres
    found on bikes and wheelchairs for carriage in the hold. However, to
    eliminate the small risk of them being damaged by bursting, you may wish
    to deflate the tyres. Understandably this decision may be influenced by
    how easily the tyres could be inflated upon arrival."

    I don't remember the bit about the box or bag from the last time I flew
    with Ryanair in 2002. I suppose it does say "should" and not "must".
    Can anyone who has flown with Ryanair recently confirm any problems with
    not having used one. IME ground staff are generally ignorant of the
    rules concerning bikes.

    Martin

    Tags:

  2. David

    David Guest

    Martin Burchell <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<RZK%[email protected]>...
    > From http://www.ryanair.com/faqs/travel.html?id=6l
    >
    > "The pedals must be removed (or fixed inwards). The handlebars must be
    > fixed sideways. The bike should be contained in a protective box or bag.
    > It is not necessary from a safety perspective to deflate typical tyres
    > found on bikes and wheelchairs for carriage in the hold. However, to
    > eliminate the small risk of them being damaged by bursting, you may wish
    > to deflate the tyres. Understandably this decision may be influenced by
    > how easily the tyres could be inflated upon arrival."
    >
    > I don't remember the bit about the box or bag from the last time I flew
    > with Ryanair in 2002. I suppose it does say "should" and not "must".
    > Can anyone who has flown with Ryanair recently confirm any problems with
    > not having used one. IME ground staff are generally ignorant of the
    > rules concerning bikes.
    >
    > Martin

    Bikes are BAD from a freight point of view they are fragile awkwardly
    shaped and take up a lot of room for their weight. I fly a lot, but I
    have yet to risk taking the bike...
    Dave

  3. Well I've flown with bike numerous times, maybe 50 flights. Not had one
    broken yet, though have had cosmetic damage.
    Ryanair did not suggest a bag to me the last time we flew, which was at the
    end of June.
    Bikes are BETTER not in boxes, because an elephant will be put on top of the
    box.
    We've had experience of this when one day 2 of 7 of us returning from France
    had frames broken. All 7 bikes were in boxes. Never again.

  4. Gearóid Ó Laoi/Garry Lee wrote:
    > Well I've flown with bike numerous times, maybe 50 flights. Not had one
    > broken yet, though have had cosmetic damage.
    > Ryanair did not suggest a bag to me the last time we flew, which was at the
    > end of June.
    > Bikes are BETTER not in boxes, because an elephant will be put on top of the
    > box.

    I agree. I would much prefer not to have to use one. Normally I just
    tape bits of scrap cardboard around the frame. Last time I flew with
    Ryanair to Carcassonne, the baggage handlers fed the bikes on to the
    conveyor belt with all of the other luggage. We had to grab them before
    they fell off on the first bend. Coming back they managed to snap a
    pannier clip but I did very well out of the compensation claim.

    Martin