Ryanair and bicycles

Martin Burchell

Guest
From http://www.ryanair.com/faqs/travel.html?id=6l

"The pedals must be removed (or fixed inwards). The handlebars must be
fixed sideways. The bike should be contained in a protective box or bag.
It is not necessary from a safety perspective to deflate typical tyres
found on bikes and wheelchairs for carriage in the hold. However, to
eliminate the small risk of them being damaged by bursting, you may wish
to deflate the tyres. Understandably this decision may be influenced by
how easily the tyres could be inflated upon arrival."

I don't remember the bit about the box or bag from the last time I flew
with Ryanair in 2002. I suppose it does say "should" and not "must".
Can anyone who has flown with Ryanair recently confirm any problems with
not having used one. IME ground staff are generally ignorant of the
rules concerning bikes.

Martin

Martin Burchell <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<RZK%[email protected]>...
> From http://www.ryanair.com/faqs/travel.html?id=6l
>
> "The pedals must be removed (or fixed inwards). The handlebars must be
> fixed sideways. The bike should be contained in a protective box or bag.
> It is not necessary from a safety perspective to deflate typical tyres
> found on bikes and wheelchairs for carriage in the hold. However, to
> eliminate the small risk of them being damaged by bursting, you may wish
> to deflate the tyres. Understandably this decision may be influenced by
> how easily the tyres could be inflated upon arrival."
>
> I don't remember the bit about the box or bag from the last time I flew
> with Ryanair in 2002. I suppose it does say "should" and not "must".
> Can anyone who has flown with Ryanair recently confirm any problems with
> not having used one. IME ground staff are generally ignorant of the
> rules concerning bikes.
>
> Martin

Bikes are BAD from a freight point of view they are fragile awkwardly
shaped and take up a lot of room for their weight. I fly a lot, but I
have yet to risk taking the bike...
Dave

Well I've flown with bike numerous times, maybe 50 flights. Not had one
broken yet, though have had cosmetic damage.
Ryanair did not suggest a bag to me the last time we flew, which was at the
end of June.
Bikes are BETTER not in boxes, because an elephant will be put on top of the
box.
We've had experience of this when one day 2 of 7 of us returning from France
had frames broken. All 7 bikes were in boxes. Never again.

Gearóid Ó Laoi/Garry Lee wrote:
> Well I've flown with bike numerous times, maybe 50 flights. Not had one
> broken yet, though have had cosmetic damage.
> Ryanair did not suggest a bag to me the last time we flew, which was at the
> end of June.
> Bikes are BETTER not in boxes, because an elephant will be put on top of the
> box.

I agree. I would much prefer not to have to use one. Normally I just
tape bits of scrap cardboard around the frame. Last time I flew with
Ryanair to Carcassonne, the baggage handlers fed the bikes on to the
conveyor belt with all of the other luggage. We had to grab them before
they fell off on the first bend. Coming back they managed to snap a
pannier clip but I did very well out of the compensation claim.

Martin